DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Icon
Joined
·
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who does D* get to do the phone sales?
I just got a call from a guy wanting me to sign up for the HBO/Cinemax package & he just wouldn't take no for an answer!

I told him 5 times I wasn't intrested & I even asked him if he was hard of hearing or just stupid & he still tried to get me to sign up!

I got pi$$ed & cussed him out & hung up.

This is not the kind of image D* wants to project to it's customers!:mad:
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
761 Posts
Was there some sort of device forcing the phone to your ear the first 5 times? Didn't it occur to you to hang up rather than arguing?

Here's how an unwanted telemarketing call should sound:

Them: "Hi. I have a special offer for you on [a product or service you don't want]..."

You: <click>

That's it. If the call is from a company you might be interested in hearing from, then you might listen once, and hang up on the second attempt. But 5? Dude, take responisibility for your own actions. Telephone sales people know that the only reason someone stays on the line long enough to argue is if they want to be talked into buying, or if they are so foolish, they might be talked into buying whether they want to or not.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
914 Posts
You MUST tell them to "Put me on your DO NOT CALL LIST".

Otherwise they will continue calling - reguardless if you answered no the first time or not.

Also check out http://www.DoNotCall.Gov <- add you name to the national do not call list.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
439 Posts
When you are already a customer of a company, asking to be put on their "do not call list" isn't the way to go. Go ahead and tell them that, but you should call customer service, and ask them to update your profile, to reflect no phone solicitation, and no mail solicitation if you want.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,167 Posts
TheMoose said:
Who does D* get to do the phone sales?
I just got a call from a guy wanting me to sign up for the HBO/Cinemax package & he just wouldn't take no for an answer!
What is the HBO/Cinemax package? Is there some new deal if you subscribe to both networks?
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ApK said:
Was there some sort of device forcing the phone to your ear the first 5 times? Didn't it occur to you to hang up rather than arguing?

Here's how an unwanted telemarketing call should sound:

Them: "Hi. I have a special offer for you on [a product or service you don't want]..."

You: <click>

That's it. If the call is from a company you might be interested in hearing from, then you might listen once, and hang up on the second attempt. But 5? Dude, take responisibility for your own actions. Telephone sales people know that the only reason someone stays on the line long enough to argue is if they want to be talked into buying, or if they are so foolish, they might be talked into buying whether they want to or not.
Wow, I hardly know where to start!
It's bad enough that some one can have telemarketers call you if you've done buisness with them even if you have signed up on the national do not call list (which I did as soon as it was announced) but some one calling me to sell me something should treat me better than this guy did & if I want to get my point across to some idiot who doesn't understand the word no then that's my buisness.
Let me guess your a telemarketer right?:nono2: :rolleyes:

My point is that D* shouldn't be treating it's customers like that & I will file a complaint & ask that they never call me again for solicitation reasons.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
12,863 Posts
I get virtually no junk paper mail, and I get virtually no telephone sales calls.

Paper mail goes back (in their postage paid envelope) with a big NO written on it. That way they have to pay the postage. I stuff everything within arms reach that is of no value into the envelope - increase the weight. After awhile, they get the message.

Phone calls are politely dealt with: "I do not accept solicitation calls. Please take my number off your list and do not call again." <click>

Carl
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
123 Posts
I had DirecTV keep calling me for a few months, each time I told them I wanted them to stop calling, but they kept doing it anyways. I finally got upset with one person, let's just say that after that call I haven't received any others at all, not even the standard ones you'd expect (such as "just making sure that HR20 you just got is working ok"). Too bad I didn't have my calls recorded at the time, they would have had to pay out some $$$ (I dunno if to me, or just general fines). I don't mind if someone messes up every once in a while, but it was getting ridiculous for a while there.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
174 Posts
Fl_Gulfer said:
ask if you can put them on Hold then hang up.
Actually, I think a better way would be to ask if you can put them on hold & then put the telephone receiver next to a radio. :lol:
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
914 Posts
You guys should be nicer to these kids. Anyone here ever done that kind of work? Telemarketing? Do them a favor, ask to be put on the do not call list, if they call back, ask for a supervisor and ask the same.

Some telemarketers are not allowed to hang up on you. And most are low rent bodies in seats at those kinds of places. It's not their fault they are trying to feed their families - so don't be a jerk!
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
313 Posts
carl6 said:
Paper mail goes back (in their postage paid envelope) with a big NO written on it. That way they have to pay the postage. I stuff everything within arms reach that is of no value into the envelope - increase the weight. After awhile, they get the message.

Carl
My wife started doing that about a year ago. Its amazing how little of that type of mail we get now.:)
 

·
Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08
Joined
·
5,222 Posts
I deal with them this way:

"I"m sorry, I can't talk to you right now--I'm burying the body of a telemarketer in the back yard." They usually chuckle, thank me, and hang up.

By the way--I used to be a telemarketer in college, when they were far less common. I had sympathy for them for years, but they're so common now, it's not worth it.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
109 Posts
Tom Mabe

Anyone who knows who I'm talking about knows what I'm talking about. If not, click on the link above. There's a great little intro by Paul Harvey on that website.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
761 Posts
carl6 said:
Phone calls are politely dealt with: "I do not accept solicitation calls. Please take my number off your list and do not call again." <click>

Carl
Truth be told, I say almost exactly those same words, but just plain "<click>" made for a dramatic illustration of the point in the post.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
AlbertZeroK said:
You guys should be nicer to these kids. Anyone here ever done that kind of work? Telemarketing? Do them a favor, ask to be put on the do not call list, if they call back, ask for a supervisor and ask the same.

Some telemarketers are not allowed to hang up on you. And most are low rent bodies in seats at those kinds of places. It's not their fault they are trying to feed their families - so don't be a jerk!
As a general rule I try to be nice to telemarketers, especially now that the only ones that can call me are companies I do buisness with, but you get what you give, a little respect & common courtsey goes a long way.

Since for he most part D* can only call people that are customers they would crack down on the telemarketers & make sure they treat their customers right, not pi$$ them off!
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
761 Posts
TheMoose said:
Since for he most part D* can only call people that are customers they would crack down on the telemarketers & make sure they treat their customers right, not pi$$ them off!
What exactly did the guy do to tick you off?

Was he impolite? Was he unprofessonal? Was he dishonest?

It sound like you're saying he ticked you off by doing his job, while you sat there listening to him. Sales people know that if a prospect continues the contact, like by sitting at the sales guys desk at a car dealership or hanging on the phone with a telemarketer, then they likely want to hear more and looking to negotiate a better deal.
It's his job to try to sell to you as long as you let him. Your getting ticked off sounds like it's your problem, not is.

If he was rude or dishonest, that's another matter, but even then, it's in YOUR power to hang up.

And if you think your treatment of him is your own business and you don't want comments against it, why did you post on a public forum? Did you think everyone would agree with you?
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,222 Posts
I agree with OP. If you say you're not interested that should be the end of it.

I realize it's in your power to hang up, but some of us don't want to be that rude. I hate being forced to do that, which is exactly what happened recently. I called only to activate a new credit card (one that replaced an expired one--customer since 1989). Not long ago it was possible to do that using an automated system. Now, they want to talk to you and try to get you to pay for some bogus credit protection program. First I couldn't get a word in edgewise while she described the program. Finally after about a minute she took a breath and I said I wasn't interested, multiple times, but she wasn't accepting that, so I hung up.
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top