DBSTalk Forum banner

D* - Would you still subscribe if not for NFL

• Yes - I would still be with D* if they DID NOT sole rights to the Sunday Ticket

Votes: 0 0.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Godfather
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just curious, how many on here would still be a D* subscriber if D* did not have sole rights to the NFL Sunday Ticket Package...in other words, if you could get the Sunday Ticket via Dish or Comcast or whomever, as well as D*, would you still be a D* subscriber.

Trying to do a poll, hopefully it works.

Yes - I would still be with D* if they DID NOT sole rights to the Sunday Ticket

No - I would NOT be with D* if I could get the Sunday Ticket from another provider.

·
Up The Irons!
5,775 Posts
Yes

·
Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
cookpr said:
I am just curious, how many on here would still be a D* subscriber if D* did not have sole rights to the NFL Sunday Ticket Package...in other words, if you could get the Sunday Ticket via Dish or Comcast or whomever, as well as D*, would you still be a D* subscriber.

Trying to do a poll, hopefully it works.

Yes - I would still be with D* if they DID NOT sole rights to the Sunday Ticket

No - I would NOT be with D* if I could get the Sunday Ticket from another provider.
I voted yes. However, it is much less of a definite yes than it would have been in the past, due to issues with picture quality and dropping of Tivo DVR's moving forward. I am looking at alternatives for the first time since subscribing to D* in 1997. I am a Sunday Ticket subscriber, but that alone will not be the deciding factor in my decision to stay with D* or move elsewhere.

·
Super Moderator
12,886 Posts
What's Sunday Ticket? What's Football? What are sports? Don't watch any of those on TV personally, except maybe once in a rare while if my home team is doing well, late in the season (which admittedly isn't often).

There are many reasons to select a service provider. Content is obviously an important one. But it is certainly not the only consideration.

Carl

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Yes... I get all the football I need from Local Channels.

Also I am assuming in your scenerio, Sunday Ticket is like "HBO" where anyone of the carriers can have it.... It is not an exclusive to any one carrier.

·
Registered
16,659 Posts
I'd vote a maybe but not an option. My current thinking is that I'm going to wait until D10 goes up next year and then base my decision on:

- How many new national HD channels they add and what they are
- Have the gotten the "8mm" issue on the HD-LIL's fixed yet for my location
- Is the HR20 still having problems

Once I know these answers I'll decided. I'd like to keep ST but not if D*'s HD programming and hardware still stinks.

·
Icon
761 Posts
carl6 said:
What's Sunday Ticket? What's Football? What are sports? Don't watch any of those on TV personally, except maybe once in a rare while
Ditto that.

There are many reasons to select a service provider. Content is obviously an important one. But it is certainly not the only consideration.
Well...if two providers have the same content, or both have content you want, then, yes, you choose on a variety of other factors, but...

YOU DO NOT SUBCRIBE TO ANY PROIVDER IF THEY DON'T HAVE THE CONTENT YOU WANT!

Content is the ONLY reason to choose a provider if only one provider has the content you want.

For you and me, Carl, that's not sports, but WHATEVER it is, you go where the content you want is...why else watch TV?

What good is great picure quality price and service if all the carry are religious sermons in Spanish?

·
Godfather
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WOW. I guess I am stunned a bit...or else this forum is posted at D* HQ ;)

I figured it would be more 50/50....

Being a Cheesehead in the land of the FIBS (Earl will get that one), D* is my only choice....but must say the DISH HD offerings would have me jump ship in a heartbeat if they had NFL as well...

Now, in 8 months, my vote may change if D* actually delivers all avail HD channels in ALL their glory (not bit starved and overly compressed)....

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
cookpr said:
Or maybe I am in the minority in here and am one of the few sportnut meatheads in here amongst a land of Sci-Fi/Star Wars fans...
If I was else where in the country, and couldn't get the Bears, White Sox, possible the Bulls, or the Illini (on a regular basis)... then yes... I can see me with a different carrier if they had exclusive access to it.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
I wish when I cancelled E* and signed up for D* I had looked into having them both. E* for its HD offerings, and D* for everything else, including ST.

But I got great deals on the D* HD hardware and I really like it. I have no affection for E*, but I would like more HD. I know its coming with D*, and then I'll be totally happy.

·
Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
If I was else where in the country, and couldn't get the Bears, White Sox, possible the Bulls, or the Illini (on a regular basis)... then yes... I can see me with a different carrier if they had exclusive access to it.
Important point. If I were not a New England sports fan living in Florida, I would never have bought my BUD years ago nor later installed D*, and would very likely still be on cable...perhaps looking at FIOS more seriously.

The out-of-market sports content (not specifically Sunday Ticket) is why I originally purchased D* and why I have stayed. I'm sure I'm not alone, but I do of course recognize that there are many others for who sports is not a big issue. We sports nuts are a key target market for D*, though.

·
Legend
107 Posts
No, I am a big fan of an out of town team and I have no other way to watch my team. If ST were available through my local provider, I would likely opt for cable cards and the Series 3 TIVO. Not a certainty but it would be a lot more difficult of a decision.

·
Godfather
306 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
One advantage to being a displaced Chicago Sportsfan is WGN. They run 3-4 Cubs games, 1 or 2 Sox games, and at least 1 Bulls game weekly on the Superstation.

And, if Chicago teams are doing well, then they show up a lot on national TV. With WGN, ESPN/ABC, and TNT, there will be around 30-40 Bulls games on this season (that's about half the season without any kind of subscription!)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.