Votes: 0 0.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has to be the music channels. Has to be 'cause they rock

Both the DishCD programming(or whatever they're called) and the Sirius channels are great. Lots of choices for your own musical pleasure

I'm also a pretty picky audio-guy and the compression used by the sat isn't too bad sonically, either

:icon_peac

·
Hall Of Fame
21,331 Posts
While the audio services are not my "favorite" thing about Dish, I do enjoy being able to tune into "The Underground Garage" once in a while since switching to XM in the car. I think RAVE in HD is probably my favorite channel at the moment and the novelty hasn't worn off, yet. (Currently listening to Underground Garage, 6025 through my new JBL LSR4328 self calibrating desktop speakers :D ).

·
Super Moderator
53,493 Posts
killzone said:
I think I listened to a music channel 2 or 3 times over the last 10 years. But hey, I love paying for stuff I don't use.
Don't worry about it. The CD and Mono channels are paid for by Muzak (it is their distribution method to their business customers) and the Sirius channels are a promotional tool. Just like the shopping channels and PIs, they pay their own way.

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
I don't think PIs pay for carriage -- it's a quid pro quo.

As far as the music channels go, they may or may not "pay their own way" as you put
it, but none of these [unwanted] channels bring their own bandwidth. Viewers pay the
price because these worthless filler channels suck up bandwidth.

Matter may neither be created nor destroyed, but when finite bandwidth is sacrificed
for unneeded and unwanted channels, it is usually gone forever.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,970 Posts
I think Sirius is one of the best things they've ever added to the service, I used to occasionally listen to one of the CD music channels but, especially during the summer when I'm by the pool, the Sirius channels get a serious (pun intended) amount of play-time. I really like that I can tune TV2 on the 622 to a Sirius channel and someone can still watch programming on the main TV at the same time.

·
AllStar
55 Posts
I had not used these until recently. Living between major radio markets, we receive stations from neither very well OTA.

As a convenience, we (wife and I) started listening to certain channels through the stereo with the TV off.

I have a friend who asks me to turn it on every time he comes over. He has cable and just loves the Jazz & Blues music on Dish.

My Mom lives in a rural area with poor TV & radio reception and she also listens.

Personally, I would rather have XM.

But I appreciate having anything and I also beleived this was a no-cost or self supported benefit of subscribing to E*.

·
Cool Member
14 Posts
I have listened to the Radio stations since they brought them on DTV Years ago.It is great to go to a channel you like to listen to and just work along...
Surely makes the day run along a lot quicker...

My dad recently bought a new truck and it came with Sirius sub for 6 months and he said he aint impressed YET...He still listens to AM and usually 1 Channel of talk radio..

SSDA67

·
Super Moderator
53,493 Posts
Nick said:
I don't think PIs pay for carriage -- it's a quid pro quo.
US Code allows E* and D* to charge a reasonable fee up to 50% of the actual cost involved in getting the channel to customers. They are NOT required to carry channels that don't pay. I can't see E* allowing channels on without payment.

Some of the channels may be offered in a more non-cash way ... perhaps E* carries TBN and TBN doesn't play the "must carry" card in all of their licensed markets or perhaps E* carries C-Span 2 without payment for carrying C-Span without charge. Yet those sort of deals do not account for all 23 PI channels.
Nick said:
As far as the music channels go, they may or may not "pay their own way" as you put it, but none of these [unwanted] channels bring their own bandwidth. Viewers pay the price because these worthless filler channels suck up bandwidth.
That is like an AT60 subscriber complaining that space is taken up by the channels in AT180. Someone is paying for that space.
Nick said:
Matter may neither be created nor destroyed, but when finite bandwidth is sacrificed for unneeded and unwanted channels, it is usually gone forever.
Sorry, I still have Dish. A Comcast subscriber will have to answer that one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.