DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Cool Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some time during this week, my Daily Show (Jon Stewart) DVR subscription (set at "new" episodes only on my 722) went insane and is taping every repeat during the day.....I've racked up around 17 episodes in 3 days.

I haven't changed this timer in months so I have no idea what happened...it's still marked as "new" so I'm thinking this has to be an issue with the program guide.

Thanks all.

·
Super Moderator
53,490 Posts
That usually happens if you select "record all duplicates of this event" when restoring a skipped event that was skipped for being a duplicate. It may also be caused by bad EPG data (this week is all reruns - if they didn't fill in the show info the 722 may be recording everything to make sure you don't miss anything).

·
Hall Of Fame
15,561 Posts
On average this happened to me with the Daily Show two weeks of every other month month. I finally gave up and set it for M-F (since it isn't on Friday, no problem) at (in my case) 10:00 pm ( the later showing after the Fox shows in the Pacific Time Zone). This week I just deleted the timer and will reset it next week.

·
Super Moderator
53,490 Posts
phrelin said:
I finally gave up and set it for M-F (since it isn't on Friday, no problem) at (in my case) 10:00 pm ( the later showing after the Fox shows in the Pacific Time Zone). This week I just deleted the timer and will reset it next week.
Me too ... too many weeks off for Jon and Steven. (Although this week I just looked ahead and manually skipped the three nights.)

·
Godfather
306 Posts
I had this happen rather regularly when Jon and Stephen go on vacation. They have reruns, but the EPG doesn't know which, so the original air date isn't populated. So to be safe, the DVR records the program just in case it's new.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,633 Posts
phrelin said:
I finally gave up and set it for M-F (since it isn't on Friday, no problem) at (in my case) 10:00 pm ( the later showing after the Fox shows in the Pacific Time Zone).
Same here (except it's 11:00 for me in EST). I understand Comedy Central is notorious for not using current episode info.

·
Icon
654 Posts
It happens when the guide info doesn't have actual details. Just a basic generic description. So your dvr records everyone of those because it can't determine what episode those are.
edit I guess this was already explained, sorry.

·
DHMO User
1,095 Posts
Jason Nipp said:
User isn't crazy, it happened to me as well. I have record all new episodes of Daily and Colbert and got many duplicates this week. The episode data shows new in the description.
It's my understanding that the receiver doesn't use what's written in the description to determine whether something is new or old. My guess is that everything the user can see in INFO is for the benefit of the user, not the receiver.

What I've observed, for example, on the Discovery channel were a new episode doesn't include a NEW in the description, but does have the correct episode and originally aired date. The event was recorded. I've also seen a new episode that does include NEW in the description, but doesn't have the correct episode and originally aired date. The event was also recorded.

Twice my hard drive was flooded with "How It's Made" during Science Channel marathons. Many of these episodes were described as being a couple of years old and none were marked as NEW in the description.

I've also seen episodes marked as NEW, with the correct episode number and originally aired date. However, only 4 hours later the repeat is not marked as new, had the wrong episode number and the originally aired date was years old. It was not recorded to be safe.

I don't know what to make of all of this, other than what the description describes doesn't seem to matter and Tribune needs to do a better job.

·
Icon
695 Posts
It's Comedy Central. They "mark" all episodes on the off weeks as new even though they are not. My Dish has been recording these all along. I delete them. I emailed comedy central, but they don't care! Not even a reply of any kind.

·
Cool Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jkane said:
It's Comedy Central. They "mark" all episodes on the off weeks as new even though they are not. My Dish has been recording these all along. I delete them. I emailed comedy central, but they don't care! Not even a reply of any kind.
I ended up canceling my "new" subscription and put a manual one in for the M-F timeslot.

I don't mind deleting a single episode each night if it's a repeat, I got annoyed when it taped 17 episodes in two days and I had to delete them one by one.

Thanks all for confirmirming that I'm not nuts. :)

·
Super Moderator
53,490 Posts
mthhurley said:
I got annoyed when it taped 17 episodes in two days and I had to delete them one by one.
You should be able to mark multiple events and delete them all at once. But yes, it is better not to get the multiples to begin with.

·
Super Moderator
53,490 Posts
Hit DVR twice to get to "My Recordings"
Select EDIT on the menu on the right.
You will see a checkbox next to each event.
Select the ones you want to delete.
Select DELETE on the menu on the right (or mass protect/unprotect).
Enter your password if any of the items were "protected".
Hit cancel or select DONE on the menu when done!

If you have folders active you can edit inside each folder and delete selected shows/content.

·
DHMO User
1,095 Posts
Maybe this is depended upon the NBR receiver being used and it certainly doesn't hurt to know where the mass delete option is located. However, the only problem with mass delete is that you still have to look (to some degree) through all 17 episodes to see if any are really a NEW show or something you want to watch -- since the description doesn't always reflect the true episode information. And as you do that, you might as well delete from the Event screen as you're not really going to save time mass deleting later.

·
Super Moderator
10,082 Posts
Blowgun said:
It's my understanding that the receiver doesn't use what's written in the description to determine whether something is new or old. My guess is that everything the user can see in INFO is for the benefit of the user, not the receiver.
Who told you that? :rolleyes:

The episode info contains a hexadecimal coding.... original air date, episode number, and flags if it is new. Not referring to the written event decription. :)

EPG data is provided by Tribune Media.

·
AllStar
187 Posts
mthhurley said:
I ended up canceling my "new" subscription and put a manual one in for the M-F timeslot.
That's what I did after I first set up The Daily and Colbert Report last year. The DVR wanted to record every single broadcast when I had it selected to just do the new ones. The M-F timeslot of choice ended up being the best solution for me. Similarly, sometimes Monk and Psych on USA get marked as new when there it is a repeat and there is no description yet for the show. Sometimes later in the week, the description comes in and they are removed from the upcoming to be recorded schedule and sometimes I have to manually skip them.

Neil

·
DHMO User
1,095 Posts
Jason Nipp said:
Who told you that? :rolleyes:
I found that information on this site. My examples seem to further substantiate it. Well, at least with a 508, I don't have one of them new fangle receivers. :)
Jason Nipp said:
The episode info contains a hexadecimal coding.... original air date, episode number, and flags if it is new. Not referring to the written event decription. :)
Are you saying that the only time NEW appears in the written event description, is if the "NEW" bit is set?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.