DBSTalk Forum banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

· Beware the Attack Basset
25,986 Posts
I think this is an answer to your previous question about Carl6's solution. I will have to replace the LNB with a non-SWM to maintain my current set-up.
It is indeed. That said, I think you're making a much bigger production out of this than it really is.

· Difficulty Concen........
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Resolved.

The "seasoned" tech did not show up and I had to reschedule and got another Mastec/Geek Squad contractor.
His answer was the same as the previous tech, everything needs to be replaced so it can run with a swm-LNB.
He did not have a non-swm LNB but he agreed to install the 4 wire one I bought off of Amazon.
That did not work with my reflector dish so he supplied a new one and was able to aim it with a SWM LNB and then use my 4 wire LNB and that got me back to where we started and he went on his way.

With both genies still missing the odd transponders on 103(ca) I ordered a new Zimwell WB68 and that did not fix the trouble so I ordered two used SWM16's on Amazon for $25 each.
One worked and the second one had the exact same issue mine have but I swapped the good used one to both genies and it fixed the issue. So I got a refund on one and ordered another.
That one came today and now both Genies are up and running and I am getting all the channels.

My conclusion is that moisture must have made into the cracks in the LNB dust covers and shorted out both SWM16's.

Thanks for all the help.

Gas Road surface Flooring Helmet Musical instrument

· Beware the Attack Basset
25,986 Posts
My conclusion is that moisture must have made into the cracks in the LNB dust covers and shorted out both SWM16's.
The LNB "dust cover" shouldn't allow water into the cabling. Since the LNB connects to a grounding block (notice how the cable color changes from the dish to the WB68) and then on to the WB68, that would be a wild ride indeed to make it all the way to the SWM16s.

My guess is that you had a lightning-like event at some point.

It has probably been at least ten years since I've seen an AT9 dish. It is no wonder the tech didn't have a replacement LNB.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts