DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
53,989 Posts

·
Super Moderator
53,989 Posts
At worst they are annoying 1.7 million viewers. Apparently NBC thinks they can do better with an hour of afternoon national news. It is the last daytime soap opera on my local NBC affiliate.

My affiliate has local news from 4:30am-7:00am, the Today show from 7:00am-11am and Local news (for 30 minutes) at Noon. They play Dateline reruns for two hours (11am and 1pm) and a half hour paid program after the news.

Days of our Lives runs against The Talk and General Hospital followed by the syndicated Dr Phil. Then back to news from 4pm to 7pm. NBC thinks they can do better than 1.7 million viewers during that hour on their broadcast network and they are willing to try. (Read carefully. I didn't say NBC could get more than 1.7 million viewers of Days via Peacock - I said that NBC believes the replacement program will perform better than Days.)

As for the disenfranchised OTA viewers not all can simply jump over to streaming. Their nursing homes may not support streaming. Certainly not as easy as changing to channel Y on their internal cable system. But maintaining and building "Days of our Lives" viewers is not the intent of moving to Peacock. Clearing space for potentially more popular programming is the intent. The alternative to moving to Peacock is cancelling the show or selling it to another network.

·
Super Moderator
53,989 Posts
Real life soap operas replacing the fictional stories. :)

·
Super Moderator
53,989 Posts
I haven't watched any soap operas for years, however, thinking back to them I don't think they are all that much different from so called "reality TV" which isn't real at all!
The soap opera replacements are talk shows ... in the old days that would be Jerry Springer, Geraldo, Oprah. Dr Phil survives but there are other shows where they don't need writers to come up with some fantasy and extend it over a story arc. They can provide an ADD/ADHD friendly version of the story that is complete in an hour or less. Exposing some family drama from real life with a little investigation and some embellishment and at the end of the show the viewer can either relate (my family could be on this show) or be relieved (my family isn't as bad as that one).

I am not thinking of the "Love Island"/"Bachelor"/"Bachelorette"/"Survivor"/"Great Race"/"Naked and Afraid"/"Big Brother" type of prime time reality where people pretend to be real in unreal situations and pretend there is no camera crew present when they should be tripping over them. I am thinking of the audience shows where "regular people" expose their lives and families to scrutiny.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts