DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Cool Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a Samsung HTIB and connected it with HR-20 using Optical Fiber cable. Whenever I switch from a SD channel (non DD) to an HD channel which is broadcasting in DD, I experience a sound delay every time. Sometime the sound delay is about 1 to 2 sec but sometime its about 5 to 6 sec. I even get the delay switching from one HD channel to another.
The problem is even worse if I use HDMI cable since my HTIB also has an HDMI in & out.

Is this a know issue with HR-20 and digital dolby or is there a problem with my HTIB receiver.

Also, if I switch DD off on HR-20 there is no audio delay and same when I am watching any DVD on the HTIB.

· DBSTalk Club Member
251 Posts
amitgupta_email said:
Is this a know issue with HR-20 and digital dolby or is there a problem with my HTIB receiver.
Yes, it's a known problem with the HR20.

· Cool Member
29 Posts
amitgupta_email said:
I just purchased a Samsung HTIB and connected it with HR-20 using Optical Fiber cable. Whenever I switch from a SD channel (non DD) to an HD channel which is broadcasting in DD, I experience a sound delay every time. Sometime the sound delay is about 1 to 2 sec but sometime its about 5 to 6 sec. I even get the delay switching from one HD channel to another.
The problem is even worse if I use HDMI cable since my HTIB also has an HDMI in & out.

Also, if I switch DD off on HR-20 there is no audio delay and same when I am watching any DVD on the HTIB.
Yeah I have exact same problem with Samsung and HR20. Even if I do 30 second slip, DD got lost and I have to wait for 5-10sec to dd to kick in with my optical sound out.

H20 was doing 1 or 2 second delay but HR20 sometimes goes for 10-20 sec. So nowadays, I use my HDMI directly to my TV and watch in stereo mode... :(

· Registered
5,952 Posts
jayvista said:
DirecTVs official response is to hit mute and watch Closed Captions. Then there are no out of sync audio issues.
To be fair, every sat receiver I've ever had experienced changing audio sync issues (they would come and go, vary by channel, vary by time, etc). My Sammy TV sometimes exhibits the same issue at times (and I attribute those to the network).

Suffice it to say, there are MULTIPLE causes for the problem:

Source/Network
Programmer (ESPN-HD is a good example)
Sat Box manufacturer
Hifi Receiver manufacturer

...it's going to make finding and fixing those issues directly attributable to the HR20 a real adventure!

The only real cure I have seen is to take the problem out of the hands of the above four players: buy a Felston digital audio delay unit and fine tune it for the current "situation" (which it is VERY important to note, CHANGES FREQUENTLY)

I haven't bought one, cuz I don't want to spend the money. Those that have report high satisfaction and the problems are resolved. (one by one)

There are, of course, other vendors of the same sort of device...but the principle remains the same.

This really is one of those things where "If you want it fixed, you better fix it yourself", because there are too many hands in the pie to completely control all the variables. Don't hold your breath, because the HR20 is only a part of the full problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.