DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called DTV tonight after having the HR20 for ONE DAY and told them to deactivate it. I'll just use my HR10. I was told that I would have to send the unit back, so they gave me $5 off for 6 months to cover the additional cost of the HR20 until they get it up to snuff. No dual buffers is lame. Who came up with that one? and no OTA is a killer in Sacramento. No FOX HD here over mpeg4. Yes, it's true, we are the only city, well, there might be one other city, without FOX HD over mpeg4 in the whole country. Those two things killed it for me and now I have a "perfectly good" HR20 just taking up space next to my nice HR10. Maybe in six months DTV will have their act together on the HR20. Also...I waited 2 months, I weathered FOUR MISSED INSTALLATION APPOINTMENTS, for this thing and I shelved it in one day. Get back to me when this thing is ready for prime time.

I know...one day isn't a long time, but I have played with these gadgets for YEARS and I have been reading about the HR20 for months. Also, one of my friends has had one for a couple of months. He calls me all the time...why doesn't it do this, why doesn't it do that??? IT"S NOT A TIVO, I tell him, but he keeps trying to switch between tuners :).

Here's the deal...in ONE DAY the thing had two unwatchable recordings...Heroes and Studio 60...two of my favorite shows...so I wasn't too pleased about that. I was wasn't too happy either while I was watching the Lakers/Clippers game on channel 95. It kept going wacky with the pixelation and sound drops, so I quickly powered up my HR10 for the second half...not a SINGLE problem on the same channel...please explain to me why I should alpha test this thing???

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
11,448 Posts
I have been reading about the HR20 for months. Also, one of my friends has had one for a couple of months. He calls me all the time...why doesn't it do this, why doesn't it do that??? IT"S NOT A TIVO, I tell him, but he keeps trying to switch between tuners
If you've been reading about this for months and your friend has had one for months, you should've realized there were no dual live buffers and no OTA yet, and D* maintains a list of which local channels are available in SD and HD on their site. It sounds like you should have canceled before installation.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Did you have the B-Band Converters hooked up when you experienced the signal breakups and if so did you try removing them to see if that improved the situation?

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
glennb said:
Having it for ONE DAY and deciding you just can't live with it this way is lame.
Perhaps 1 day isn't giving the HR20 a fair shot, but seeing as he missed at least 2 recordings the first day and had some additional issues I don't really blame him.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Please.... Don't "attack" the OP... based on his opinion and the choice he made. He has the same right as each of you, to chose to use or not use the unit.

If you want... you can provide him some ideas on how to get past some of the issues he is having... but don't attack his choice to turn the unit off.

That is not what this place is about.

·
Icon
731 Posts
I did the EXACT same thing with the R15... I moved from DISH and hated Direct so bad right away I felt sick.. what a mistake... we missed dish so bad we felt like crying.. it was too late to go back... BUT.......

I stuck with it and by two weeks it was a TOTAL reversal. I loved the R15! It really did take time. And the HR20 (my unit) is even better than the R15.

Although you are right, the audio drops are really bad.. that's GOT to be fixed. I get it like 3 or 4 times a minute on channels like Discovery HD

·
Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You know what's lame...having to wait for two months to get the box and have it crap all over the place. Also, DTV gave me this box for free, in fact they have credited me over $550 in two months for missed appts. and the like. This thing has been a cash cow for me and I haven't paid a red cent for it. I should put a frickin' bow on the thing. Let's see...

$$ approximate...

$100 for new Slimline AT-9 dish
$50 for the Zinwell multiswitch, nice switch, no need for AC power
$750 for HR20 POS
over $550 in credits in two months...

Do the math, that's well over $1K for having the thing take a entertainment center nap. I knew the thing was a POS FOR NOW. I know you think it's lame, but come on, the HR20 IS NOT READY. Even the CSR I spoke to last night, and yes I know they are not the most informed lot, told me they had to get it to market for a variety of reasons.

How many software updates is it going to take??? I had it up for less than a day and it updated twice. A couple of bad recordings and an unwatchable basketball game and there you go. My HR10 has NEVER done that...

In the first 24 hours I had to red button reset the thing 15-20 times and it is slow to reboot. Slower than the HR10. The installer was laughing because he had to reset it 10 times or so before he could get it to light up before he could be on his way. 30 minutes to mount and align the dish, this guys was fast, and 10 minutes to swap the multiswitch. I started the activation process during this time. I was on the phone with DTV for 84 minutes while he set and reset the thing...It was comical...

That is why DTV gave me $30 to power the thing for 6 months. Maybe by May, they will have the HR20 ready for prime time...

·
Banned
1,614 Posts
The OP was making wisecracks about no dual buffers being lame, and said - who came up with that one.

I said - Having it for ONE DAY and deciding you just can't live with it this way is lame.

I didn't say the OP was lame.

I didn't realize that was attacking the OP Earl.
:rolleyes:

Earl said - That is not what this place is about.

Is this what it's about ?

You know what's lame...having to wait for two months to get the box and have it crap all over the place. Also, DTV gave me this box for free, in fact they have credited me over $550 in two months for missed appts. and the like. This thing has been a cash cow for me and I haven't paid a red cent for it. I should put a frickin' bow on the thing. Let's see...

$$ approximate...

$100 for new Slimline AT-9 dish
$50 for the Zinwell multiswitch, nice switch, no need for AC power
$750 for HR20 POS
over $550 in credits in two months...

Do the math, that's well over $1K for having the thing take a entertainment center nap. I knew the thing was a POS FOR NOW. I know you think it's lame, but come on, the HR20 IS NOT READY. Even the CSR I spoke to last night, and yes I know they are not the most informed lot, told me they had to get it to market for a variety of reasons.

How many software updates is it going to take??? I had it up for less than a day and it updated twice. A couple of bad recordings and an unwatchable basketball game and there you go. My HR10 has NEVER done that...

In the first 24 hours I had to red button reset the thing 15-20 times and it is slow to reboot. Slower than the HR10. The installer was laughing because he had to reset it 10 times or so before he could get it to light up before he could be on his way. 30 minutes to mount and align the dish, this guys was fast, and 10 minutes to swap the multiswitch. I started the activation process during this time. I was on the phone with DTV for 84 minutes while he set and reset the thing...It was comical...

That is why DTV gave me $30 to power the thing for 6 months. Maybe by May, they will have the HR20 ready for prime time...

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
glennb said:
I didn't realize that was attacking the OP Earl.
:rolleyes:
I did not direct my comments to one specific person... there have been way too many threads that turned into bash wars, where they where not intended... If it was to be directed at one individual, you would have gotten a PM from one of the mods/admins

glennb said:
Earl said - That is not what this place is about.

Is this what it's about ?
Actually, to a degree yes... (As of late at least)...
The mods/admins have been pretty lax in allowing people to vent... and with that venting, we have been able to help people get the answers they need.

·
AllStar
59 Posts
mlobitz said:
Although this is possible it would seem a bit unlikely. Supposing your installer did a forced update (and lets count that as one) then you would of had to have used the unit on the very day that a new release came out. Unless your one day was on a Wednesday, I don't see this being too likely.

Also, the way the updates are pushed out, it's hard to notice an update has been released unless you're always going to the Info menu or you disabled the front lights.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
nFavor said:
Although this is possible it would seem a bit unlikely. Supposing your installer did a forced update (and lets count that as one) then you would of had to have used the unit on the very day that a new release came out. Unless your one day was on a Wednesday, I don't see this being too likely.

Also, the way the updates are pushed out, it's hard to notice an update has been released unless you're always going to the Info menu or you disabled the front lights.
It is possible, He is in N. Cal... so after the system was first up for 10 minutes, it got 0xF6.... then later on that night (by this morning) 0xFA

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
mlobitz,

I feel your pain. I experience your pain. The only reason I haven't gone ballistic is the awesome deal D* gave me on my units.

Even so, I still vacillate between patience and thinking how badly programmed and tested these units are. Clearly very poor component level testing by the original coders. People can say "well this is way new tech", but a scheduler and a UI are not at all new. And completely testable by the programmer, the QA team, and the beta testers. So there should be absolutely no problems with scheduling manual recordings, for instance.

Sure, there will be defects in areas of real new tech, like MPEG2 to MPEG4 transcoding to send HD in MPEG4, but that should be about it from a software standpoint. The bulk of the new tech is in the hardware itself. And that seems solid (in the HR20. The unpowered switches and BBCs seem to leave something to be desired.)

I wish you luck. And I wish us all luck. Perhaps soon someone at D* will raise the level of expectations demanded of their development teams.

Either way, Happy Thanksgiving,
Tom

·
Legend
108 Posts
I haven't posted much during the 10 days I've had the HR20, but so far I've had an ok experience. I'm in Roseville, CA which is the same market as the OP. I already had the AT9 dish from when they installed my H20 a few months ago. My signal strengths are almost all in the 90's and the runs from the multiswitch are probably about 50-60 feet max. It's recorded most of what I've asked and cancelled a few for unknown reasons. Perhaps it was my mistaken thought that I had to red button reset after every upgrade. Not having MPEG4 Fox or OTA is bad, but I knew that going into this. My approach was to run this in my office and let the HR10-250 do it's usual load on the home theater. I can symapathize with those who are looking for an immediate replacement because missing shows is not a happy event. With as little as I put into installing the HR20, I'm ok with being an unofficial beta tester.

·
Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Come on people now...smile on your brother...everybody get together...try to love the HR20 right now...

Ah, I'm such a wise acre.

Also, yes it is LAME to intro the box without dual buffers when the last few TIVo incarnations of the DVR all had dual buffers. It is essential for efficient program watching. I don't know about the R15, but I never had that box.

Just my opinion. I know others share it and obviously others do not. Nothing personal. Just a little venting. You would to if you had to blow off four Saturdays at four hours minimum a piece waiting for an installer that was never assigned to your job.

·
Cool Member
30 Posts
I want to address your comment regarding HD local Fox. Here in Raleigh, you can't yet get FOX or CBS locals in HD from D*. I can get them in HD over the air, so I just switch my TV input to antenna. Fortunately, there are very few shows on CBS and FOX that I care anything about.

·
Cool Member
25 Posts
mlobitz said:
I had it up for less than a day and it updated twice.
Well of course it did. It's been sitting in a box while new software updates became available. That's the first thing any new equipment is going to do when you first install it. It's going to download the updates.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
earthymoon said:
Well of course it did. It's been sitting in a box while new software updates became available. That's the first thing any new equipment is going to do when you first install it. It's going to download the updates.
wow, your experience is way different than mine. ;) None of my VCRs, TVs, or Tivos downloaded new software on day 1. Only items with D* written software have downloaded their own new software on day 1...

Ok, I have downloaded upgrades for a couple routers on day 1--but I did that, and it worked fairly well out of the box before the download.

Happy Thanksgiving,
Tom

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.