DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Mentor
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few questions for the group re my dead living room DVR.

When we went to watch TV tonight, we discovered a dead DVR. Box was off and unresponsive. Hard reset and receiver self check produced a diagnostics code 14-792. I am on the protection plan so D*TV is sending a replacement (also got 2 free months Showtime which was nice). I have two questions: 1.) does anyone know what the code means (I assume it is a drive failure), 2.) csr said no way to recover recordings - is this true? I would think you could pull the drive and run a disk repair utility to fix/salvage recordings - is that possible? Would opening it violate my terms?

·
Mentor
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Trying to run the surface scan by restarting and holding select during self check. It says "entering diagnostic mode" then gives me the same diagnostic code. Am I trying to initiate the surface scan correctly? If so, not being able to advance into diagnostic mode and surface scab must mean this thing is gone? If opening it is out, does anyone have any other ideas? I've had this one for about 14 months - is it common for them to die so quickly? Too bad you can't get a DVR that uses a ssd....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.