DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a HR24-500 replaced because of audio problems. Tech replaced with HR23-700. I have whole home. He put a white box on back of unit it says on box DECA. What does this box do. and can I put box somewhere besides right in back of stb.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,591 Posts
Beachcomber12 said:
Thanks again for the help. Just got off phone with D* they are sending me a new HR24 unit.
Really? Keep us posted. It's just about impossible for the support reps to "guarantee" a specific DVR model number.
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I told the rep that I had limited space for the unit . It is on a wall mounted shelf made to fit the HR24 and a DVD player the 23 is way to big for the shelf especially with the DECA box on the back
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
36,633 Posts
west99999 said:
He should not have replaced a HR24 with a HR23 to begin with you just got a downgrade.
Aha! Another fellow traveler who doesn't believe that all HRs are "functionally" equal.

Yup, he should have gotten another 24 instead of that 23 (easily the worst 700 D* ever put out.

Rich
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
16,344 Posts
I don't really consider speed a function I can't think of a single thing you can do with a HR24 that the HR23 can't do. I'm not saying that a 24 should be replaced with a 23, I wouldn't want my h25 replaced with an h24, but not because of functions of the box.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
36,633 Posts
dpeters11 said:
I don't really consider speed a function I can't think of a single thing you can do with a HR24 that the HR23 can't do. I'm not saying that a 24 should be replaced with a 23, I wouldn't want my h25 replaced with an h24, but not because of functions of the box.
I've read many definitions of "function" and speed certainly fits them. The 23s cannot take advantage of the newer remotes. Another difference. The 24s just work better than the 23s, that's gotta fall under functionality.

Rich
 

·
Problem Solver
Joined
·
1,916 Posts
Rich said:
I've read many definitions of "function" and speed certainly fits them. The 23s cannot take advantage of the newer remotes. Another difference. The 24s just work better than the 23s, that's gotta fall under functionality.

Rich
TWSS
 

·
DaBears
Joined
·
6,085 Posts
I know people won't care but there is not a rule stating that only HR24s are swapped with HR24s. They may get a priority when possible but that doesn't mean that if you didn't get one someone made mistake.

You may now go back to beating a horse that is forgetting to breathe.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
16,344 Posts
"Rich" said:
I've read many definitions of "function" and speed certainly fits them. The 23s cannot take advantage of the newer remotes. Another difference. The 24s just work better than the 23s, that's gotta fall under functionality.

Rich
I don't use the DirecTV remote, so I'll give you that one.

At least on my HR22, guide scrolling drastically improved when it got the HD GUI before I replaced it. I'm not convinced that's the end of things. We certainly could have improvements in the future.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
36,633 Posts
dpeters11 said:
I don't use the DirecTV remote, so I'll give you that one.

At least on my HR22, guide scrolling drastically improved when it got the HD GUI before I replaced it. I'm not convinced that's the end of things. We certainly could have improvements in the future.
Guide scrolling apparently improved on all the HRs. But, at least in my case, it improved proportionally. In other words, my three 24s are still faster than my eight 20-700s just as they were before the new GUI hit. I do have one 21-200 and that improved a lot too, but is still slower than the 20-700s. Which are slower than the 24s. We might see more changes in speeds but I believe they can only be proportional to the other HRs.

Rich
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well Litsdog you were right. This time they sent me a HR22. Just keeps getting better. Just talked to a rep and he didn't give a flip. Told me I got a fair replacement even though it won't fit on my shelf
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,591 Posts
Beachcomber12 said:
Well Litsdog you were right. This time they sent me a HR22. Just keeps getting better. Just talked to a rep and he didn't give a flip. Told me I got a fair replacement even though it won't fit on my shelf
Yep. Unfortunately that's how their inventory system works. All of the HR2x HD DVRs are considered "functionally equivalent".
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
234 Posts
Beachcomber12 said:
Well Litsdog you were right. This time they sent me a HR22. Just keeps getting better. Just talked to a rep and he didn't give a flip. Told me I got a fair replacement even though it won't fit on my shelf
If you're still determined to get another HR24 you may be able to get them to give you a credit for 'purchasing' one from a third party (I've done this several times over the years). It may be only a partial credit ($100) to help offset the cost but if you get the right person on the phone you may do even better.
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top