DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Godfather
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need OTA capability, so will Directv replace my H20(built-in tuner) with a newer HD receiver AND an AM21 tuner, or am I going to have to bite the bullet and pay for an AM21? Seems fair that they would replace what I now have with comparable equipment, does it not?

· Problem Solver
1,846 Posts
You'll need to have an AM21. H20s are very few and far between, if there are any actively in the inventory chain at all. They're designated 'scrap', and are no longer being refurbished. If you call and play a little bit of 'call center roulette' you might be able to get someone to credit you for the AM21.

· Broadcast Engineer
4,146 Posts
davring said:
I had an HR20 fail, I told them I used OTA and they sent an HR21 with an AM21 at no extra change.
That is the key; indicate to them that you need OTA for subchannels that DTV does not carry. That has got me a HR20 replacement twice, and while I prefer the HR20, it may be that they have all aged to the point where the power supplies are not that reliable anymore, meaning that a newer unit is probably a better idea. As other have indicated, they may be designated scrap, and that seems logical and power supply reliability could be why.

· Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
HR20-100? They wanted mine back when I got my HR34, so I'm assuming they are still using them. At least in a non DECA environment, there isn't any difference that I can think of in setting up from an end user basis. Sure, there's a bit of a complexity with the band stop filter with DECA though a tech installing it should be able to handle that.

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
TomCat said:
Until they aren't.
Robert knows about how many 20-100s I've had that didn't work (every single one of them). And some of them were new. Never had a 21-100 that worked either. The one 22-100 I had worked very well for a week or two. Now I've got one 24-100 that actually works. Sometimes I just sit and stare at it in amazement.

Rich

· Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
And since getting my first HR20 around 2007, all my boxes have been -100s until my 34. Haven't had trouble with any of the three. The 34 on the other hand, I'm on the second one and I think still has bad hardware.

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
dpeters11 said:
And since getting my first HR20 around 2007, all my boxes have been -100s until my 34. Haven't had trouble with any of the three. The 34 on the other hand, I'm on the second one and I think still has bad hardware.
I'm amazed. Three working 20-100s. Don't doubt you, just amazed. Not surprised to see problems with the 34s. I do have a place to put one of them and do have five available feeds for it along with my twelve other HRs. But I'd rather wait for a year or so. I'm not big on jumping on new stuff.

Rich

· Legend
208 Posts
It's been at least 2 years, maybe 3, but when my H20 finally died I was able to get an AM21 at no charge. Had to ask and the plead the case for needing it.

· Godfather
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I called Directv around 2 PM on monday and received an H20-100 at noon the next day. It has a "reconditioned sticker" on the back but it looks brand new. Works just fine. The CSR told me not to bother with returning the defective H20-600...just chunk it in the garbage. Pretty good customer service, IYAM.:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.