DBSTalk Forum banner

Defective R16-300

864 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Tomcat619
Hello Friends
I have been a Directv customer since the first day they went live and have a R15 DRV and a standard receiver. Last week I bougth a brand new R16-300 through a freight auction company that was an unclaimed UPS shipment. I set it up and activated it thru my account and it worked fine for about 4 hrs and then started cycling on and off for hours. After shuting it off over night i tried it again, it started up after going thru the regular startup procedure, and ran about 10 minutes and then went back to the on/off routine. Now it won't go on at all. I called DTV to see about a warranty repair. They informed me that they sell them anymore and only lease them.

Does anyone know of a company that could repair this unit?

Thanks Tomcat
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
I don't know anybody who repairs these DVRs.
I would first try forcing a software download. Plug it in, and when you get the very first "hello" blue screen, push the buttons 0 2 4 6 8. Push them one time only, in order, fairly rapidly, and don't push any other buttons. After a short delay, you should see a screen that says "Found new software", and it will download whatever is the latest version.

Second thing I would try is to remove the access card and carefully clean the contacts on it using a soft pencil eraser, brush it clean, and re-insert.

If that doesn't get you going, you can subscribe to the protection plan, wait a month, then ask for a replacement for it.

Carl
I'll try that tomorrow

Thanks Tomcat
carl6 said:
I would first try forcing a software download. Plug it in, and when you get the very first "hello" blue screen, push the buttons 0 2 4 6 8. Push them one time only, in order, fairly rapidly, and don't push any other buttons. After a short delay, you should see a screen that says "Found new software", and it will download whatever is the latest version.

Second thing I would try is to remove the access card and carefully clean the contacts on it using a soft pencil eraser, brush it clean, and re-insert.

If that doesn't get you going, you can subscribe to the protection plan, wait a month, then ask for a replacement for it.

Carl
Hey Thanks Carl That worked fine. So far it's working even though they supposedly deactivated it. I'll them next week and have them make sure it stays activated and i'll see about the protection plan.

Thanks again

Tomcat
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.