DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Legend
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These threads back and forth -- "my HR-20 is great" vs. "it sucks" are getting quite tedious!! Is there any definitive info as to why these problems for SO MANY boxes are occuring? Has it been isolated to hardware (make quality) vs. software? No one knows yet (which may be more troubling)? :confused:

·
Hall Of Fame
2,014 Posts
Take a look at the "power the dish" thread that is stuck to the top of this forum.. There looks to be something to the scenario and fix suggested.

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
There is no definitive "answer" to the problems, nor why some have a whole gamut of issues, some have none, and some (like me) have had just a handful of odd trick-play glitches and one missed recording in a month of moderately-heavy use. It's probably a combination of software errors, some individual boxes running with marginal internal components being stressed by heavy use, and some glitchy MPEG2 and 4 streams causing corrupted data inside the HR20. In all these cases, the software would ideally be able to deal with the situation gracefully without causing the problems people see, but that's not happening.

In any event, our has worked very, very well. I'd give it 8.5 out of 10 for us after a month of use. Half a point deducted for trick-play glitches and the "DD reversed bug", and a full point deducted for one HD Superfan recording which was marked "Deleted" before I could watch it ten days ago.

Again, all in all I think the software is the root cause of most of the problems and it's getting better all the time. Go back a month or two in the postings here and see what things were like in the first few software releases.

·
Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08
5,222 Posts
I think if I didn't need the closed captioning to work flawlessly, and was using HDMI, I'd be very happy. If they correct the blackout problems I've had with component, and the closed captioning, I'll be happy and only want some changes of things that work, but I'd like them to work differently. ;)

·
Legend
150 Posts
Maybe we could have a poll to find out if there is a correlation between problems with users who have multi switches and users who don't. I have a very basic setup and have not had any major issues with the HR20. There seems to be some evidence that users who are having more problems have passive multi switches, but there is no way to tell just from reading through posts.

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
nocaster said:
Maybe we could have a poll to find out if there is a correlation between problems with users who have multi switches and users who don't. I have a very basic setup and have not had any major issues with the HR20. There seems to be some evidence that users who are having more problems have passive multi switches, but there is no way to tell just from reading through posts.
I have a Zinwell WB68 multiswitch plus whatever is in the dish assembly, feeding five receivers requiring all 8 outputs on the switch: the HR20, two DSR6000 DirecTivos, and two SD non-DVR boxes. No serious problems to speak of.

·
Legend
105 Posts
I have a very basic setup. I have 4 lines from the satellite coming into a box outside my house where all of the internal cabling runs. The 4 lines from the satellite run to 4 lines in my house via standard female to female connectors. Two of the 4 lines run to my main TV and one runs to my old Tivo upstairs. I have no idea where the 4th line runs, but assume to one of the bedrooms. I have had all of the bugs listed, so it may be a power issue, but it isn't a multiswitch issue. I'm guessing that I have less than 70' total between the satellite and my HR20.

Z

·
Legend
228 Posts
I have a 'middle-of-the-road' setup - unpowered multi-switch, feeding 3 receivers (1 HR-20, 2 SDTivo's). Cable length from dish to multiswitch - 15', multiswitch to receiver HR20 - 20', SD #1 - 40', SD #2 - 60'.

No serious problems to date (aside from a weekly-ish red-button reboot to resolve 'hung' HR20)

FWIW - I do 'turn-off' HR20 when not watching.

·
Legend
159 Posts
ZDawg said:
I have a very basic setup. I have 4 lines from the satellite coming into a box outside my house where all of the internal cabling runs. The 4 lines from the satellite run to 4 lines in my house via standard female to female connectors. Two of the 4 lines run to my main TV and one runs to my old Tivo upstairs. I have no idea where the 4th line runs, but assume to one of the bedrooms. I have had all of the bugs listed, so it may be a power issue, but it isn't a multiswitch issue. I'm guessing that I have less than 70' total between the satellite and my HR20.

Z
I have an almost identical setup, except I have 2 lines to HR20 and 2 to the old Hughes DirecTivo. The only issues of note that I've experienced have been a couple of lockups (none within the past month) and sporadic "deleted","not recorded", and "partial" errors.

My guess on why some users see more problems than others:

1) usage - if you use all the features more often than another user, an error with the same probability of occuring will occur more often.

2) internal components/chipset. In any manufacturing process, particularly electronics and semiconductors there will be a certain amount of components that either make it past QA despite being flawed, or pass QA and then fail later due to a latent defect or power surge or something. In short, some boxes are bound to be lemons. (my guess is that this is #1 reason for wildly varying user experience)

3) different satellite feeds - we're not all receiving the same exact signal. If there are errors being caused by glitches in the satellite data they may be experienced only by users in the same geographical region or with the same programming packages.

4) Human factors. I'm not blaming the user, but some people are going to more sensitive to problems than others.

So no one gets the wrong impression, I'm not an apologist by any stretch for DirectV. I've been plenty pissed off and annoyed particularly when programming I've set to record fails to record. But to D*'s credit, the HR20 is getting better with each software update. I think it's almost good enough now to take it out of beta testing and unleash it on the general public :lol:

·
Legend
148 Posts
Zinwell 6x8, 2 HR20, 2 R15, 1 HR10-250 that hasn't been used in 2 months. Internal temps on the HR20s are around 125. No issues other than occassional audio drops on the local HDs. It's also worth noting that the 2 HR20s get used concurrently and that hasn't shown any issues when both are used. Cable runs from sat->switch are about 70'. The longest run from the switch->HR20 is probably 75-100'.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.