DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Legend
159 Posts
ZDawg said:
I have a very basic setup. I have 4 lines from the satellite coming into a box outside my house where all of the internal cabling runs. The 4 lines from the satellite run to 4 lines in my house via standard female to female connectors. Two of the 4 lines run to my main TV and one runs to my old Tivo upstairs. I have no idea where the 4th line runs, but assume to one of the bedrooms. I have had all of the bugs listed, so it may be a power issue, but it isn't a multiswitch issue. I'm guessing that I have less than 70' total between the satellite and my HR20.

Z
I have an almost identical setup, except I have 2 lines to HR20 and 2 to the old Hughes DirecTivo. The only issues of note that I've experienced have been a couple of lockups (none within the past month) and sporadic "deleted","not recorded", and "partial" errors.

My guess on why some users see more problems than others:

1) usage - if you use all the features more often than another user, an error with the same probability of occuring will occur more often.

2) internal components/chipset. In any manufacturing process, particularly electronics and semiconductors there will be a certain amount of components that either make it past QA despite being flawed, or pass QA and then fail later due to a latent defect or power surge or something. In short, some boxes are bound to be lemons. (my guess is that this is #1 reason for wildly varying user experience)

3) different satellite feeds - we're not all receiving the same exact signal. If there are errors being caused by glitches in the satellite data they may be experienced only by users in the same geographical region or with the same programming packages.

4) Human factors. I'm not blaming the user, but some people are going to more sensitive to problems than others.

So no one gets the wrong impression, I'm not an apologist by any stretch for DirectV. I've been plenty pissed off and annoyed particularly when programming I've set to record fails to record. But to D*'s credit, the HR20 is getting better with each software update. I think it's almost good enough now to take it out of beta testing and unleash it on the general public :lol:

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.