DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
There is no definitive "answer" to the problems, nor why some have a whole gamut of issues, some have none, and some (like me) have had just a handful of odd trick-play glitches and one missed recording in a month of moderately-heavy use. It's probably a combination of software errors, some individual boxes running with marginal internal components being stressed by heavy use, and some glitchy MPEG2 and 4 streams causing corrupted data inside the HR20. In all these cases, the software would ideally be able to deal with the situation gracefully without causing the problems people see, but that's not happening.

In any event, our has worked very, very well. I'd give it 8.5 out of 10 for us after a month of use. Half a point deducted for trick-play glitches and the "DD reversed bug", and a full point deducted for one HD Superfan recording which was marked "Deleted" before I could watch it ten days ago.

Again, all in all I think the software is the root cause of most of the problems and it's getting better all the time. Go back a month or two in the postings here and see what things were like in the first few software releases.

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
nocaster said:
Maybe we could have a poll to find out if there is a correlation between problems with users who have multi switches and users who don't. I have a very basic setup and have not had any major issues with the HR20. There seems to be some evidence that users who are having more problems have passive multi switches, but there is no way to tell just from reading through posts.
I have a Zinwell WB68 multiswitch plus whatever is in the dish assembly, feeding five receivers requiring all 8 outputs on the switch: the HR20, two DSR6000 DirecTivos, and two SD non-DVR boxes. No serious problems to speak of.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.