DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this all may help the programers. I had 2 recordings at 8pm & 8:30 CST set, then at 9pm CST I had 2 simultanious shows set last night. My tv and HR20 were on and the 8 & 8:30 shows recorded just fine in the background. When 9pm came, I was on the net with the tv on in my periphrial vision. The sound went off & screen went black at 9 and I looked up. The unit was trying to change channels from Starz to MSNBC, but the screen was black. I gave it till 9:05 and tried changing channels, as expected it asked which recording to stop. I chose the MSNBC show. Now, the unit was fine. I then set up a 9:30 recording to recreate the issue...same result: unit changes channel to no video. I then decided to set 2 shows up at 3am and let the unit do it's thing and test the results today. As I expected, 1 show resulted in the 'Delete Now' bug. Any questions, please ask.

·
Registered
14,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I wanted to add that both tuners are tested and working, according to the 'Test' in the setup menu. Also, I can start a 2nd recording while 1 is going & it will play back. This whole issue has come up since the latest software release on an extremely stable unit.

·
Legend
195 Posts
Interesting discovery. I have had a similar problem occur about 6 times already, and have lost recordings I really wanted. I have not paid attention to the settings of the other channels in advance, I will keep a closer eye on it. I hope someone fixes this bug quickly, when you only get about a 60% success rate on advance schedule recordings you are not going to have very many happy customers. I am really suprised there are not more reports of this problem since I have seen it so many times already.

·
Registered
14,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just reset, not reformat, and scheduled 2 recordings at 10:30am CST, too retest. Both are SD channels and the current channel is on a local MPeg4. I'll post results soon.

·
Registered
14,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LoL, now I'm baffled. I ran the above test & the channel changed just fine.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
sigma1914,

You've run into that most dreaded of defects--the "intermittent, but thought to be reproducible defect". :( You've done some good experimentation, I should expect it will help the programmers.

Cheers,
Tom

·
Registered
14,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tibber said:
sigma1914,

You've run into that most dreaded of defects--the "intermittent, but thought to be reproducible defect". :( You've done some good experimentation, I should expect it will help the programmers.

Cheers,
Tom
After reproducing once, I thought I was on to something. I guess the RBR wouldn't let a 3rd try work. ;)

·
ke6cdn
424 Posts
So sigma do you think it could be an interaction between guide data and simultaneous recording attempts? (Fully repopulated data vs guide data rec'd after RBR.)

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
I think you have a marginal multiswitch or tuner - sometimes (most of the time perhaps) channel changes are fast enough; sometimes they're not. Bear in mind that the Zinwell WB68 most of us use is a non-powered mechanical switch. Depending on cable lengths, connector quality and even environmental conditions where the switch is mounted, you could have issues with slow switching resulting in a black screen.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
elvisizer said:
do the 5 LNB dishes have a multiswitch built into them?
Yes. You have 4 outputs from the 5 LNB

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
elvisizer said:
do the 5 LNB dishes have a multiswitch built into them?
Yes, just like the 3lnb dish, it has a 4 output multiswitch that allows any output to be connected to any lnb/polarity combination. (Or cascaded to another switch.)

Cheers,
Tom

·
Cool Member
23 Posts
tibber said:
Yes, just like the 3lnb dish, it has a 4 output multiswitch that allows any output to be connected to any lnb/polarity combination. (Or cascaded to another switch.)

When you say, "Cascaded to another switch" what do you mean?

Thanks & Sorry for newbie question!

Mike

·
Registered
14,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LameLefty said:
I think you have a marginal multiswitch or tuner - sometimes (most of the time perhaps) channel changes are fast enough; sometimes they're not. Bear in mind that the Zinwell WB68 most of us use is a non-powered mechanical switch. Depending on cable lengths, connector quality and even environmental conditions where the switch is mounted, you could have issues with slow switching resulting in a black screen.
But, I've got no extra switch...it's a direct run of 15'. All dish connections were replaced yesterday with a new Slimline dish. I'd had the issue 1 other time with the AT9.

DishDog...it might be guide data, but I doubt it.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
mikeliedke said:
tibber said:

When you say, "Cascaded to another switch" what do you mean?

Thanks & Sorry for newbie question!

Mike
No problem, mate. Cascaded to another switch means that all 4 outputs are connected as the inputs to another switch (or using special "power pass" splitters to two switches) thereby giving you 8, 12, 16, ... ports instead of only 4.

(There is a situation that I'm guessing is now rare, where only one or two outputs are sent to a older switch to support a number of very old receivers but normally people seem to upgrade their receivers at the same time and therefore their switches too, requiring all four outputs.)

HTH,
Tom

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.