DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Godfather
297 Posts
Well Dish doesnt have much to do with it. It's on Fox.

If you get Local channels in HD from Dish you'd get it that way, or if not, but you're able to receive a Fox HD channel over-the-air with an antenna, you could do it that way.

·
Godfather
430 Posts
Buckeye Matrix said:
HMMMMn I am not sure what I have. I contacted Dish and the programming info wont be out till DEC 27th.
this has nothing to do with when the programming guide will be made available (11 days ahead of time).

to which package do you subscribe? call dish network and ask them which dish you have in your back yard. if you subscribe to a hd package and are a relatively new customer, you almost certainly have a dish 1000 unless you live in the northeast and then you'd have to have two separate dishes.

·
Icon
599 Posts
Buckeye Matrix said:
I dont live close enough to a big city to get OTA I dont think. I do get locals out of Cleveland but I live 70 miles south. I will call them and see what my options are.
Call who ?? Dish can't help you.... Well, wait, they are offering antennas for people in different cities and I think Cleveland is one of them. You don't have to live in Cleveland either, just have Cleveland as your local market.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=80797

Using zip code 44902, that's just under 60 miles from most of the broadcast towers in Cleveland and is doable with an antenna. Dish might say you're too far but they might say that because it's not "guaranteed" being the distance you are. Do you already have an antenna ?? If your house is older, I suspect you do as there's almost *no* local stations (1 independent and 1 PBS) and otherwise, that means in the past literally no TV stations without cable.

You could also get cable for a month and quit after the game. Don't wait 'til the week before as they could run out of HD set-tops. What model TV do you have ?? If it has the right kind of tuner, you could connect your cableco's feed into it and get the 'local' stations. What does your cableco consider 'local', by the way ??

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hall said:
Call who ?? Dish can't help you.... Well, wait, they are offering antennas for people in different cities and I think Cleveland is one of them. You don't have to live in Cleveland either, just have Cleveland as your local market.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=80797

Using zip code 44902, that's just under 60 miles from most of the broadcast towers in Cleveland and is doable with an antenna. Dish might say you're too far but they might say that because it's not "guaranteed" being the distance you are. Do you already have an antenna ?? If your house is older, I suspect you do as there's almost *no* local stations (1 independent and 1 PBS) and otherwise, that means in the past literally no TV stations without cable.

You could also get cable for a month and quit after the game. Don't wait 'til the week before as they could run out of HD set-tops. What model TV do you have ?? If it has the right kind of tuner, you could connect your cableco's feed into it and get the 'local' stations. What does your cableco consider 'local', by the way ??
I have time warner. I have a new Panny Th50px 600u plasma and I just got the new dish upgrade and service for the $199 last week. I have the full HD package along with the 180 channels, (Gold package I think) I will have to get an antenna I suppose so any suggestions would be helpful from that angle. I also get the cleveland channels as my local addition to my service.

·
Icon
599 Posts
That Panasonic has a built-in QAM tuner. Have you cancelled Time Warner yet ?? If not, *don't*. Connect your TWC cable feed to your TV's RF input and do a digital channel scan. I suspect you'll be pleasantly surprised. You might even consider downgrading to TWC's 'lifeline' cable package. The cost should be $10-15/mo. Don't bother checking the website for this.... They make every effort to remove it or make it hard to find.

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hall said:
That Panasonic has a built-in QAM tuner. Have you cancelled Time Warner yet ?? If not, *don't*. Connect your TWC cable feed to your TV's RF input and do a digital channel scan. I suspect you'll be pleasantly surprised. You might even consider downgrading to TWC's 'lifeline' cable package. The cost should be $10-15/mo. Don't bother checking the website for this.... They make every effort to remove it or make it hard to find.
No I havent had TW for 3 years. I have been with dish for that time. I do have roadrunner and digital phone but TW's feed where I live sucks, hence changing to dish.
But dude I really appreciate your input! Most forums are not this friendly, and I moderate one actually. As far as antennas, will I need to install an external antennae on my house or can this be done internally?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.