DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Legend
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I go about determining which transponders I am supposed to be receiving on any of the "(s)" sats? I assume (which always lends itself to trouble) that it has to do with location and DMA? My zip is 27501 and the DMA market is the Raleigh Durham market. I have the HR 20.

We've been getting alot of pixelation (goes and comes) lately after a multiswitch had to be replaced due to a storm. The dish was not checked for alignment during the service call. So I'm trying to find out what transponders I need to be concerned with checking.

BTW, all of the conus sats give me readings in the 90's.

· Hall Of Fame
6,035 Posts
I am not sure other than guessing from the ones that have high signal levels. I have also been trying to figure out which transponder provides local HD channels for my market (Harrisburg/Lancaster, PA) as well, although I know it is the 103(s) bird.

· Legend
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
n3ntj said:
I am not sure other than guessing from the ones that have high signal levels. I have also been trying to figure out which transponder provides local HD channels for my market (Harrisburg/Lancaster, PA) as well, although I know it is the 103(s) bird.
My problem is that of the ones that do not have NA, some show zeros, some show 70's, 80's and 90's. I'm trying to figure out if any of the low readings or zero readings are the important ones to my area?

· Registered
5,530 Posts
Forget the spotbeamed transponders (99s and 103s). There is no point in worrying about those signal strengths. Just align the dish for best signals on 99c and 103c, (mid-80s/90s) and then you will automatically get the best possible signals on any spotbeams aimed at your city.
Just to mention, 99s and 103s are not satellites - each is a combination of all the spotbeamed transponders at that satellite slot. So for example on 103s, all the lower-numbered transponders are from Spaceway 1 in the 103 slot, higher-numbered transponders are from the same DirecTV10 satellite that is delivering all the CONUS signals at 103c.

You do need to check the signals on BOTH tuners if you have a DVR. If your 99c and 103c signals are all in the 90s, any pixelation you are getting on your HD locals is not signal strength related.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.