DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Godfather
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering how to tell which resolution the HR20 is broadcasting from for different channels, 720p or 1080i. I've read that ESPN signal is 720p. Is there somewhere on the menu that gives this info? I searched everywhere on the HR20 and this site, but haven't found an answer.

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
11,448 Posts
For a lot of us, what's coming into the box is irrelevant. My old Toshiba has a great picture but its formats are 480i, 480p or 1080i. So I have Native set to "Off" on the HR20 and just output everything as 1080i. Looks great (if a little small these days - to think, 42" was pretty big 5 years ago). I'm about to upgrade to a 56" 1080p DLP set, so I'm pretty sure I'll just do the same, unless the set upconverts a 720p signal better than the HR20 does.

·
Godfather
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, it's better to have the HR20 set to 1080i instead of 720p, even tho ESPN is sending it out as 720p? I thought the picture on ESPN football last night was a little better with the HR20 on 720p, but it ain't much!

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
The easiest way to tell what resolution the channel is using is to set your HR20 to native. The LED that is lit up on the front panel will be the resolution.

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
11,448 Posts
Depends on your TV. My TV can't take a 720p signal (lots of older HDTVs can't), so as I said, I have the HR20 set to output everything as 1080i. Sunday's NFL games on Fox (720p) looked better upconverted to 1080i on my TV than Saturday's college games on CBS (1080i). Of course, this was on my local HD channels and using my TV. If your TV can accept and natively display a 720p picture, your results may vary.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
721 Posts
bigwad said:
I am wondering how to tell which resolution the HR20 is broadcasting from for different channels, 720p or 1080i. I've read that ESPN signal is 720p. Is there somewhere on the menu that gives this info? I searched everywhere on the HR20 and this site, but haven't found an answer.
So far, the only way I can tell is when I switch to Native, my TV will display the incoming rez for a couple secs.

·
AllStar
88 Posts
paulman182 said:
The easiest way to tell what resolution the channel is using is to set your HR20 to native. The LED that is lit up on the front panel will be the resolution.
But if we switch to native then we get a delay when changing channels, right?

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
1Indy79 said:
That part is kind of annoying to me. I think for the minute difference in PQ, I'd rather just leave it in 1080i.
Many follow this rule:

Turn Native OFF in the HR20. Fix the output resolution of the HR20 to the native display capability of your TV (either 720P or 1080i are your choices, for all practical matters). This avoids the delay. Then, try this experiment:

Change the fixed output resolution of the Hr20 between 720P and 1080i, and see which looks better on your TV. Set it one the better one and forget it.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
I can definitely see more detail when I watch a 1080i movie at 1080i on my 720p set. You must look close for it, though.

This must mean the scaler in my TV is better than the one in the HR20. YMMV.

·
Legend
187 Posts
I also have an old toshiba HD TV(Old is relative I guess, as I bought it in early 2003). It only supports 480i 480p and 1080 i. The 1080i output from the HR20 is beautiful. I tried watching 720p, but it did not look good. I have never seen what 720p looks like on a 720p supported tv, but my friend swears by it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.