DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Mentor
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having major problems on all 8 (don't ask) of my DTV boxes (combo of HR20's and 21's). I get constant breakups and freezes on all mpeg4 locals and random others (but particularly HBO HD), as well as the fairly routine Searching for Signal on Sat. 2. DTV has been here 7 times. Replaced my 6x16 ms with another, replaced the 6*16 with two 6x8s, replaced the LNB, re-terminated the cables, unhooked the grounding, hooked up the grounding, and (allegedly) dialing in the dish (even though my signal strength on all sats and transponders (saving the tps I'm not supposed to get) is at 97 or above). They replaced BBC's, replaced boxes, etc... Still having the problems. Once the diagnostic error report tool became available after the latest national release, I started sending them in, but when I call DTV to register my latest set of woes, they have no interest in the report! Many don't even know what I'm talking about (even in case management, my newest in a long line of dtv helpers). I'm at my wits end as we can't record or watch most stuff. The only thing that actually works is the AM21 they sent me last week....so now I'm using and paying for all of this useless DTV satellite equipment so that I can watch....wait for it....waiiiiitttt........OTA! :nono2:

One local supervisor said he had seen this problem before with an installation, and installing SWMs helped. He called DTV but they wouldn't authorize it. Does anyone think that SWMs could help. If so, I'll just do it myself if I have to. And what's up with not looking at the DERs I send in?

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
That's right, the best thing to do is to post the issue here along with the report code. The network issue reporting process was put in for DBSTalkers to use when reporting issues here.

The people who need that information really do appreciate those reports, so please do keep them coming.

jdjeff, please go ahead and post any report codes you still have, they can be helpful even weeks later.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,484 Posts
jdjeff said:
Does anyone think that SWMs could help.
It would take two SWMs to accomplish what you're trying to do. I'm not certain if they can be run parallel off the dish, but I'm kinda hopeful and doubtful at the same time.

Are you trying to combine your OTA signal onto the satellite feeds anywhere in the system?

·
Lifetime Achiever
28,939 Posts
The fact that it's all 8 receivers should indicate that the problem is outside the receivers .. That's still a lot to look at, though. Cabling, multi-switch, LNB, dish alignment. It'd say (again since it's everything) that it is most likely dish alignment .. BUT .. you have great signal strength.

Have you sat and watched the meter on your receivers to see if it is a constant number of if perhaps there are periods where it drops down? Also, have you tried bypassing the multi-switch altogether to see if on receiver looks correct .. If it does, then you could at least narrow it down a bit more.

·
Lifetime Achiever
28,939 Posts
Oh, and yes, the diagnostic report codes .. This is information that is used by the Engineering Team. It is very doubtful (as you discovered) than anyone in the CSR department will know about this hidden feature. Just post the issue + diagnostics key in the Issues thread and the folks at DIRECTV will be able to utilize the information from you.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,484 Posts
Doug Brott said:
It is very doubtful (as you discovered) than anyone in the CSR department will know about this hidden feature. Just post the issue + diagnostics key in the Issues thread and the folks at DIRECTV will be able to utilize the information from you.
Hence the case management person. I think the best that a customer can do is be accommodating and keep track of everything abnormal. DIRECTV needs to have a competent technician out there doing all of the "trying things".

That being said, if I were bored, I'd unplug everything (including any PIs) and add stuff back until the system became unstable. I'd have to be pretty bored though.

·
Mentor
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very helpful to know. I chucked the last 3 codes after being told they weren't useful, but I certainly will post future ones. I have unplugged all of the receivers in turn, plugged the multiswitch (when it was powered) into a UPS/power conditioner, all those good things. Not bored, so much as didn't want to get yelled at by my wife when So You Think You Can Dance wouldn't record...again. Part of the problem that I will have 6 or so receivers recording the same thing on both two tuners, ie: the same two shows on six boxes. Seems to make the ms or lnb unhappy to have so much going on at the same time. Anyway, they are coming back Monday. We'll see and thanks for the help.

·
Mentor
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Doug Brott said:
Have them also double check that that coax is rated properlyl. If it's old coax, it may not be.
Right. I've got all quad shield RG6. All compression fittings rather than crimp. House is only two years old. Never had a problem before swapping out my older DTV stuff for the MPEG4 boxes.

If memory serves, my error code was the date (can't remember the syntax) of July, 28, 2008 and the last four digits 0203.

·
Cool Member
15 Posts
How soon after my error can I generate the report? I had a reset last night but my son wanted to watch a show so I didn't so it right after the reset. Any time limit? I have set my HR21-100 to generate the reports.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
You can generate one report per hour per receiver. Anytime is fine, although the sooner the better of course. However, even if the information is a couple of days old it can still be useful.

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
harsh said:
It would take two SWMs to accomplish what you're trying to do. I'm not certain if they can be run parallel off the dish, but I'm kinda hopeful and doubtful at the same time.

Are you trying to combine your OTA signal onto the satellite feeds anywhere in the system?
i have 2 swm8's and 2 wb68's all ran in parallel

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.