DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
5,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WASHINGTON --- The blockbuster merger of the nation's two largest satellite television companies snagged its highest-profile congressional endorsement yet on Monday.

House Majority Leader Dick Armey, R-Texas, urged the U.S. Department of Justice to approve the controversial merger of EchoStar Communications Corp. and Hughes Electronics Corp., saying the deal would benefit consumers.

Full Story

·
Hall Of Fame
5,345 Posts
Now there is a powerful voice. :) Not that it will make any difference to the DoJ.

Remember...Dick Army before he D***s you.

See ya
Tony

·
Hall Of Fame
2,026 Posts
RE: "According to data compiled by the Center for Responsive Politics, a nonpartisan group that tracks money in politics, neither EchoStar nor Hughes has contributed to Armey's political funds in the current election cycle."

Wow that's a shock. So what's in it for Dick?

·
Hall Of Fame
21,331 Posts
Actually, since this is his last term and he has announced his retirement, he is one of the FEW in Washington that I would trust as of today. Now, if he would just prove himself totally ethical and decline his government pension. Nah, never happen.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,026 Posts
Good one Ray. Really does anyone here know Dick? Or why he is supporting the merger? Let's see he's from Arizona, what does AZ get out of the merger??? Is there an uplink center there; How many jobs would that bring in?

Ouch.
Not wanting to get too off topic, but I wouldn't begrudge the man his pension. Maybe we shouldn't pay our elected officials anything, then only really really rich people would go into politics....

·
AllStar
62 Posts
The proposed merger will give cable television competition. Anyone who cannot see this is blind or owns stock in various cable companies.

·
Arcane Movie Trivia King
1,806 Posts
ahhh...there's no reason for E* or anyone else to contribute money to Dick Armey as he is retiring from the house after this session... btw-Armey's from Texas, not Arizona...

·
Icon
623 Posts
Originally posted by jrjcd
ahhh...there's no reason for E* or anyone else to contribute money to Dick Armey as he is retiring from the house after this session... btw-Armey's from Texas, not Arizona...
I guess you don't know politics very well. These long term retired congressmen make loads of money lobbying congress. They get paid to lobby because they have inside connections.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,026 Posts
Prelaw, premed, what's the difference? Arizona, Texas... ;)

OK so what does Texas get out of the merger???? I like the future lobbyist idea, it sounds plausible...

G

·
Did any of you guys see the Saturday night live skit where the guy playing Chris Mathews was calling Dick Army different names like:
Penis Navy and Vagina Coast Guard

It was hilarious.

Brandon

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.