No..

The HR20 development is done in LA.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
No..

The HR20 development is done in LA.
Is NDS doing the programming for D* or is this a D* team. Last I had heard, it might have been NDS (who is a wholly owned D* or News Corp Subsidiary, IIRC).

Cheers,
Tom

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
tibber said:
Is NDS doing the programming for D* or is this a D* team. Last I had heard, it might have been NDS (who is a wholly owned D* or News Corp Subsidiary, IIRC).

Cheers,
Tom
The HR20 programming is done by a DirecTV team.
There are some segments of code that are done by NDS (such as the Interactive content).

But the vast majority (pretty much all) of the HR20 development is done by DirecTV employees.

·
AllStar
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was hoping I could blame that.

I don't really record much with my HR20, I just got it for MPEG4 etc. I have recorded 6 programs since I got the unit a month ago, and 2 of them got the do you wanna delete when I tried to watch them, very bad.

·
Legend
192 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
There are some segments of code that are done by NDS (such as the Interactive content).

But the vast majority (pretty much all) of the HR20 development is done by DirecTV employees.
How does Pace factor into this? Are they just doing the manufacturing?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
jerkieman said:
I was hoping I could blame that.

I don't really record much with my HR20, I just got it for MPEG4 etc. I have recorded 6 programs since I got the unit a month ago, and 2 of them got the do you wanna delete when I tried to watch them, very bad.
They are aware of that bug... and they are working to get rid of it.

And yes, it is very bad... but really any bug in the system is.
All they can do is identify why, and then eliminate it....

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
pgiralt said:
How does Pace factor into this? Are they just doing the manufacturing?
I do know PACE is the manufacturing company... but I don't have any details on their involvement with the development team.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

2 companies working on software for one device? Now I know why they are having so much trouble!

·
AllStar
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Earl, you know in the OTA thread you stated how DB Mirroring was supposed to be in SQL 2005 when it was released but it wasn't in the initial release ? MS didn't put on the box or in the manual that mirroring was in the producut when it was shippied and packaged like DirectTV did by putting a sticker saying OTA is on the HR20. I also don't like how when you goto Best Buy website it says :

2 satellite tuners and 1 ATSC tuner provides access to DIRECTV high-definition, local high-definition and standard-definition programming

Don't you think thats false advertising ?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
jerkieman said:
Earl, you know in the OTA thread you stated how DB Mirroring was supposed to be in SQL 2005 when it was released but it wasn't in the initial release ? MS didn't put on the box or in the manual that mirroring was in the producut when it was shippied and packaged like DirectTV did by putting a sticker saying OTA is on the HR20. I also don't like how when you goto Best Buy website it says :

2 satellite tuners and 1 ATSC tuner provides access to DIRECTV high-definition, local high-definition and standard-definition programming

Don't you think thats false advertising ?
But when was the last time you got a printed manual from Microsoft, or a box that contained a list of all the features.... Still doesn't change the fact that it was pretty shocking that when the specs for the Release Candidate came out, and mirroring wasn't there... while people had been using and testing it for months if not longer (as I was one of those, and our project depended on it).

And no, I don't think it is false advertising.
I think Best Buy needs to update their site with the latest information...

And with packaging material and manuals printed up so far in advance, and then a "last minute" changes causes an inconsistancy with what is actually released. Honestly, IMHO, it is par for the course now adays.

And how did this creep back into this thread?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
houskamp said:
2 companies working on software for one device? Now I know why they are having so much trouble!
I don't think they are actually "working" on the HR20.
I believe the NDS are responsible for the Interactive pieces... and IIRC, they are the same interactive pieces on all the compatible receivers.

·
AllStar
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I knew you were around and responding to this thread, so I threw it in. :)

I got to disagree though, it was sucky that DB Mirroring wasn't enabled in the product when it was released, since we were also looking to use it but the difference is that the product wasn't released saying it was enabled and then when you went to us it you saw it wasn't. I'm sure Best Buy gets their info from DirecTV, etc.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
jerkieman said:
I knew you were around and responding to this thread, so I threw it in. :)

I got to disagree though, it was sucky that DB Mirroring wasn't enabled in the product when it was released, since we were also looking to use it but the difference is that the product wasn't released saying it was enabled and then when you went to us it you saw it wasn't. I'm sure Best Buy gets their info from DirecTV, etc.
I only used it as example, that things can and do change "last minute", even after printed materials are done (packaging, ect). And in that particular case, the poster I was responding to stated that it did happen in the software world.

A more revelant case, would be the Series 1 DTivos... the very first ones.
All of the talk and "press" about it, was that it was going to have the ability to recording two things at once.... But then the product came out, and it wasn't there... and wasn't for a while....

And unless you where glued to the forums, or the internet... then you where in a similar boat.... and this is when TiVo, Inc... still controlled the product (when it was TiVo with DirecTV).

I am sure Best Buy get's their information from DirecTV... but they certainly have had some thing wrong on their website (they first called it an HR20-250) and some other things... even then. Best Buy should still be responsible for their "Sales People"... even if it is a typed word on a website

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.