DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've been checking out this forum for some time; there's great info here. I just got a H20-100 installed at my apartment.

First off, I am not so sure the installer (someone from Ironwood) really wanted to do the correct work for me. I asked if he could mount the dish on the side of the house (it's a brick house...I rent the 3rd floor and the former tenant had his E* dish on the side connected with lag bolts I think), and he said he couldn't do it unless he put in some big lead bolts or something like that. He said he could only put it on the roof. I don't think the landlord wanted anything on there, but after talking to the installer, I guess he said it was OK. So my first question is...could they have put the dish on the side of the house without a major problem?

Secondly...as they were setting up my receiver, they went through the system test a ton of times because I wasn't picking up all the satellites. I have the 5 LNB's, not sure if it is AT-9 because I didn't see if it was or not. They said something to the effect that all the satellites channel into the main ones so if I don't see them all it's not a big deal. Well, when I tried to look at my Pittsburgh local stations in HD, they are not showing up! I assume it's because it's not seeing the proper satellite to get the signal? I went into the setup, and it is not seeing signals for antennas 99 or 103. Is there anything I can do to try to fix this other than calling D* to have someone come look at the dish?

OK, so I guess it may be partially my fault for not asking more questions and making sure all the stations came in before they left...but you would think they would check that stuff to make sure everything is OK??? I am a little unhappy right now. Thanks for any advice you can give.

EDIT - OK, maybe I'm not thinking correctly. The regular station (say, channel 2) is coming in, and there is a light on the H20 that says "1080i"...it's just that the HD equivalent (channel 2-1) is showing a black screen. Maybe the regular station is showing up as HD?? It's just a little confusing.

·
Icon
545 Posts
First off how many local channels appear in your guide? Do you have multiple chnl 2's? One would have the sta's call letters b4 the chnl #, that would be your HD local!

Did you try a reset? red button next to the access card?

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bobnielsen said:
Channel 2-1 would be an OTA channel, which you won't see without an OTA antenna connected.
I see. I do have my antenna hooked up to the TV, but I didn't try to set up the OTA channels through the DirecTV. I guess I really don't need to as long as channels 2, 4, 11, etc. are coming in as HD.

I do have multiple channels showing up on my guide...2, 2-1, 4, 4-1, 11, 11-1, 11-2, etc. I sometimes have problems picking those Pittsburgh HD stations up OTA because I'm about 40 miles from Pittsburgh, and I think they were not coming in when I had the DirecTV on. So, if the dashed ones need to come OTA then I guess that explains why it was showing nothing. Thanks for the help!

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
I *THINK* that if you rerun setup and choose 'satellite' instead of 'satellite and antenna' that those won't show up. Alternatively you can set up a custom favorites list without those and they won't show up in the guide (the "channels I receive" list cannot be edited--hopefully this will change).

·
Godfather
313 Posts
mb1978 said:
I see. I do have my antenna hooked up to the TV, but I didn't try to set up the OTA channels through the DirecTV. I guess I really don't need to as long as channels 2, 4, 11, etc. are coming in as HD.

I do have multiple channels showing up on my guide...2, 2-1, 4, 4-1, 11, 11-1, 11-2, etc. I sometimes have problems picking those Pittsburgh HD stations up OTA because I'm about 40 miles from Pittsburgh, and I think they were not coming in when I had the DirecTV on. So, if the dashed ones need to come OTA then I guess that explains why it was showing nothing. Thanks for the help!
Not counting the ones with the -'s you should see two of each channel. These are the HD and SD versions provided by D*

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now I have a new problem. I turned on the DirecTV today, and now I am getting NOTHING! It just sits there looking for the signal and doesn't show anything. I've hit the reset button, taken the power cord out, done some things in setup...nothing works. None of the satellites show up, and the LNB test fails. I think it was error 771 or something.

I am not happy about this at all. I've used DirecTV at home for like 8 years and never had a problem. I better be able to call DirecTV tomorrow morning and have someone look at this ASAP. This week has not gone well for me, and this might be the capper to make my head explode. :mad:

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Called Installation support, spoke to Arthur who said a supervisor would be contacting me about the problem soon.

Dangit, I really wanted to watch the hockey game tomorrow...and now I probably won't be able to see football on Sunday. Dangit I am paying for the Sunday Ticket and I'm not going to be able to see ANOTHER week's worth of games!!!!!

·
Cool Member
19 Posts
Just call D* Customer Service and ask them for a service credit sighting your current situation....You should have no problem getting them to give you a credit!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.