DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Godfather
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if that update was suppose to correct that problem. I'm basically dealing with one problem. That's HD channels 70 -79 Mpeg2 locking up on me on a daily basis. It's rare to get through a live or recorded program without the DVR locking up. Everything seems to be working fine and then I go to hit pause or change the channel and the DVR won't accept any commands from the remote while the audio and video continue to play perfectly. This is also my second DVR in a week and when I talked to tech support they said they're no longer sending techs out for this problem because they are aware of it and working hard to resolve it. I went off and asked what the hell am I paying $7.99 a month for a protection plan for if they can't send someone out to look at my box. They put me on hold so they could come up with an anwer and came back with, we would like to give you a $10.00 credit for 12 months for your HD package, 3 months free showtime and a $25.00 credit for who knows what. Is this insane or what. I appreciate that they're trying to make the situation better with the credits but can you just fix this damn piece of crap. It's a joke. Aren't some other people starting to get tired of this?

· Legend
108 Posts
This is the exact same thing (one of them!) I was experiencing which resulted in me unplugging the unit and setting it aside until new units are available. No time to deal with this issue anymore! I would leave it on Discovery HD (breaking in my new plasma) and it would start acting up within 30-60 mins, audio/video ok nothing else works, and if I leave it alone eventually video would freeze or I would get BSOD.

Can you imagine if I trusted this thing and fell asleep, leaving the TV on to speed up the break-in process, and have the screen freeze??? There goes my $3k+ plasma! I wonder if D* would pay for a new TV then. I doubt it!

If you haven't yet please visit this thread and post as much info as possible, maybe that will help D* in resolving these issues.

· Godfather
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bluesjam said:
This is the exact same thing (one of them!) I was experiencing which resulted in me unplugging the unit and setting it aside until new units are available. No time to deal with this issue anymore! I would leave it on Discovery HD (breaking in my new plasma) and it would start acting up within 30-60 mins, audio/video ok nothing else works, and if I leave it alone eventually video would freeze or I would get BSOD.

Can you imagine if I trusted this thing and fell asleep, leaving the TV on to speed up the break-in process, and have the screen freeze??? There goes my $3k+ plasma! I wonder if D* would pay for a new TV then. I doubt it!

If you haven't yet please visit this thread and post as much info as possible, maybe that will help D* in resolving these issues.
Bluesjam, Thanks for responding to alot of my posts. You seem to have the same problems as I do with your HR20. I havn't went so far as to unplug it yet. It's actually recording shows when it's suppose to, the FF is working fine and I havn't noticed any other real bugs. It's just the damn DVR locking up and not responding to the remote commands. This is also my second DVR. I don't even want them to send a third. I actually think the box is probably fine, they just need to get to the bottom of the lockups. Maybe the next software update but I'm not feeling to confident about it. What's your thought on the whole sold out issue? I'd like to believe it but if I had a product that had this many bugs I would n't keep putting it out there until I fixed the problem. They obviously know how many people are frustrated with this thing and I'm sure they're working hard to resolve it. I'm trying to be patient. I'll respond to your thread later today. I was reading it yesterday. Thx. Frank

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
bluesjam said:
On a side note.

Hopefully your $3k+ plasma, has the same things my (more then $3k) plasma (from 3 years ago), that will power it self off if it detects a static image for more then 5 minutes or so.

The PIO I have will first go to a lower output mode, then it will power off.
In additional to it's orbit mode...

It is REALLY difficult to permantly damage a modern Plasma display that is setup correctlyl. You may get image retention, which is not the same as burn in....

Okay... back to your regularrly scheduled topic.

· Hall Of Fame
2,473 Posts
Italfra1 said:
I went off and asked what the hell am I paying $7.99 a month for a protection plan for if they can't send someone out to look at my box.
Sidenote: Cancel you protection plan and then active it same day. It will drop the price down to 5.99. Althought you'll have to wait 30 days before you can use it but it will save you 2.00 a month.

· Godfather
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cabanaboy1977 said:
Sidenote: Cancel you protection plan and then active it same day. It will drop the price down to 5.99. Althought you'll have to wait 30 days before you can use it but it will save you 2.00 a month.
They've given me a ton of credits, free HD package for a year, 3 months free Showtime, 6 months free HBO, one time $25.00 credit towards protection plan. I'm o.k. with the 7.99 protection plan. Thx. I really just want a DVR that works!

· Legend
108 Posts
Italfra1 said:
Bluesjam, Thanks for responding to alot of my posts. You seem to have the same problems as I do with your HR20. I havn't went so far as to unplug it yet. It's actually recording shows when it's suppose to, the FF is working fine and I havn't noticed any other real bugs. It's just the damn DVR locking up and not responding to the remote commands. This is also my second DVR. I don't even want them to send a third. I actually think the box is probably fine, they just need to get to the bottom of the lockups. Maybe the next software update but I'm not feeling to confident about it. What's your thought on the whole sold out issue? I'd like to believe it but if I had a product that had this many bugs I would n't keep putting it out there until I fixed the problem. They obviously know how many people are frustrated with this thing and I'm sure they're working hard to resolve it. I'm trying to be patient. I'll respond to your thread later today. I was reading it yesterday. Thx. Frank
You're welcome, I'm hoping that with our help and Earl's dedication and contact we can help D* resolve these issues, one day! Well, my toughts are... I don't know what to believe anymore! Based on the answers I get from D* support/installation/customer service depts. it's very hard for me to believe a word D* says anymore! They've lost credibility and integrity with me. However, I somehow believe what Earl says more than D*, I don't think he has a reason to give out the wrong info. So, there you have it, my .02, not much of an answer. :)

· Legend
108 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
On a side note.

Hopefully your $3k+ plasma, has the same things my (more then $3k) plasma (from 3 years ago), that will power it self off if it detects a static image for more then 5 minutes or so.

The PIO I have will first go to a lower output mode, then it will power off.
In additional to it's orbit mode...

It is REALLY difficult to permantly damage a modern Plasma display that is setup correctlyl. You may get image retention, which is not the same as burn in....

Okay... back to your regularrly scheduled topic.
My Pio 5070 only has the option to turn off if no reception for 15 mins or no operation for 3 hours. I don't think either would work with a screen freeze, no? Even if it did, not gonna turn 'em on! No more workarounds for the HR20! :)

I do have my settings turned low during break-in, but I think a still image for 6-8 hours would still cause burn-in, but I'm no expert and didnt want to take the risk.

· Hall Of Fame
1,446 Posts
I have only had my HR 20 since the first week of Oct. (second box, first one DOA) and it had been recording reliably, I'd even posted as much last night. Little did I know, I went to watch a show on it after posting how well my HR 20 had done so far, only to find out it hadn't recorded a single program since Sunday afternoon. Even though I had around a half dozen series link recording set for Monday and Monday night. Strangely enough my R 15 also declined to record one of the series links that both units share, "Heroes". So I missed that one altogether, found out I can catch it on the Sci-Fi channel later this week. But still disappointing. Then I had no more then reset the HR 20 then found out the R 15 was also locked up and needed a red button reset. Needless to say I'm rather frustrated.

What was weird when the HR 20 locked up, I turned on the TV and the bottom two thirds of the screen was black. The top third had the user interface the "blue boxes" but they were blank. No channel banner or logo, no date and time. Just the boxes. The unit wouldn't respond to the remote thus the red button reset. I checked history and for each scheduled show it said, "partial" although there was nothing of any show in MyVOD.

This is my first experience with the HR 20 doing this. Now I am wondering, I had gone to setup and display and changed "native" to "on". It had been off until that point. I decided to try native on, after reading on the forum that if you prefer for your TV to do the scaling rather then the HR 20 you might want to have native set to on. I have been really worried about how with native off that most of my programs record with the black bars on the sides of the program. Even though I have it set for 1080i and stretched.

I have a six year old big screen Mitsu and it already suffers a permenent burn in from a local affiliates weather segment and logo burning into my set a couple of years ago. The retailer where I purchased the set assured me when I purchased it that the only way I had to worry about burn in was to leave the set paused on an image for several hours at a time. Which is something I've never done. At most, when I had my stand alone TiVo I had a channel paused perhaps up to thirty minutes max when on a phone call.

So I cannot understand how the set suffered burn in but it did. I can now see the outline of the local weather forecast on the the left side of my screen from bottom to top and across the upper one third of the screen. And the affiliates channel number is ghosting on the lower right corner of the screen.

It made me sick, I'd waited twenty some years to get a big screen TV and on a fixed income I will probably never be able to get another one. And this set is ruined. So I am very skittish about anything that might cause further burn in, so as I said I've been worried about the black bars on the programs I've recorded. I thought having it set to native might be my answer. My set is capable of receiving 480i and 1080i.

Anyway I had not experienced a single lock up with the HR 20 until the day after I'd turned native to on. So could someone please advise me. Is it likely that caused the lock up or was it most likely a coincidence? I have turned native off but now with the black bars back on both sides of the screen I am once again worried about burn in.

Sorry this is so long but I am really concerned about this issue. Any advice is appreciated.

· Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
I have NEVER had native turned on for any length of time and until the latest update I was experiencing weekly lockups. One of them was exactly as you described with blank banner, etc.

Sorry to hear about your TV screen. My wife won't watch shows with the bars on the side so we stretch it, and in a way that's good, because it eliminates the chance of burn-in.

Anyway, high brightness and contrast settings contribute to the possibility of damage, too, so turn them down.

· Hall Of Fame
1,446 Posts
paulman182 said:
I have NEVER had native turned on for any length of time and until the latest update I was experiencing weekly lockups. One of them was exactly as you described with blank banner, etc.

Sorry to hear about your TV screen. My wife won't watch shows with the bars on the side so we stretch it, and in a way that's good, because it eliminates the chance of burn-in.

Anyway, high brightness and contrast settings contribute to the possibility of damage, too, so turn them down.
Thank you for the advice. I believe I already keep the brightness turned down because I have MS and my eyes are very sensitive to light but I'll check just in case.

I do hate the letterbox format, always have, my eyes seem to be drawn to the black bars instead of the program. It's the same for me with the bars on the side, and now with having to worry about more burn in on my set, it's even more annoying. Again thanks for the help.

· Registered
5,952 Posts
hdtvfan0001 said:
We've NEVER had a single lockup problem at all to date.... :)
Me either. 3 minor issues in 4 weeks, non-recurrent, excluding the general problem with NFL-ST recordings (1 time this weekend, but not checked since then.)

· Icon
600 Posts
The lockups started with the OxD* update. They worsened with the OxE3.

Oh, and idiotic stuff like moving in reverse when I press the FF button, and jumping backwards 15m when I press and hold the 30s slip button.

· Registered
31,115 Posts
NFLnut said:
No. Of course not.

Are you a D* employee? Stockholder?
15 year happy customer. Sorry to disappoint you. :rolleyes:

There's no denying some folks are having issues, and several are quite vocal about it here. That said, there can be reams of reasons why. If we're all running the same HR20's with the same firmware, things like installation quality, cable quality and connectors, equipment connections, dish setups/install quality, projector/TV connectivity, and a hundred other things can cause most of the reported issues - not just the HR20. There absolutely are some bad boxes in the market - but you get that with a BMW or Mercedes once in a while. remember, this box is only 70 days old in the marketplace.

What's interesting is between the 2 HR20s I have, and the 12 others I know of installed at friend's homes, NONE have had ANY of the reported problems here. If you took that as a population sample, it would mean things are 100% perfect. But we all know that's not the case - some folks are clearly having issues.

I'm rooting that the next major firmware helps reduce the majority of people's problems (seems to be alot of HDMI issues). It would be great to get past this initial 90 day release phase with things rectified for most, if not all people. That said, there are plenty of us who have no such issues, and don't need to be chastised for being among the majority of people who have no problems.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.