DBSTalk Forum banner

How much of your install was done by an installer

• none, I installed it all myself

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • just needed the new AT9 dish from the installer, I installed the receiver and activated it

Votes: 28 37.3%
  • the dish, hooking up the receiver, and activation, I unboxed and placed everything where I wanted it

Votes: 34 45.3%
  • the installer did everything from unboxing to activation

Votes: 13 17.3%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
AllStar
61 Posts
i have done every install myself. I refuse to let an Installer into my home after all the horror stories.

There are pros and cons though.... cons being that I get nothing from free from D*.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Installer put up the dish and wired the new multiswitch while I unboxed everything and set it up where I wanted it. No issues at all. I even told DIRECTV how good he was just to give him an attaboy.

·
Beer Aficionado
1,683 Posts
My HR20 was a replacement for an HR10 that wouldn't work with my phone, so it just got shipped to me. Still have the Phase III dish, won't get the AT-9/Slimline until later this year when they turn on MPEG4's here.

I even tried to get them to have the installer put up the AT-9/Slimline this Saturday as he is coming out to my house anyway to install a new R15, but they wouldn't do it. Said he had to be installing some kind of HD equipment to justify the install of the dish. I said "But I have the HR20 already, doesn't that justify it?" It doesn't since we don't get HD locals here yet. So now D* gets to send an installer out again later this year when they turn them on. Seems like a waste of money to me, but what do I know.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
asousa said:
i have done every install myself. I refuse to let an Installer into my home after all the horror stories.

There are pros and cons though.... cons being that I get nothing from free from D*.
You can do what I did and I got the dish and switch free.

Do all the things you normally would do yourself: Run cables, etc. I then just had the installer replace the dish. While he did that I installed the new switch and receiver. He also made some cables for me and I installed them.

So all he did was install the new AT9 dish and doublechecked the receiver was working before he left. I then tweaked the dish a bit more and made sure it was all set.

So try that and get the stuff for free. :)

·
Banned
1,614 Posts
I did it all myself. I didn't want to wait around all day for the installer. I'd probably get a call later in the day to say he didn't have an HR20 or he was running late and would have to re-schedule for another day.
:nono2:

I didn't use a signal strength meter. Everything went fine.

·
Legend
153 Posts
The installer was scheduled to come out in the afternoon. I spent the morning running an HDMI cable to the projector. I upgraded from a DirecTivo so all the satellite cabling was done.

The installer came out and asked to review where I wanted the receiver and antenna. I showed him where and mentioned I spent most of my morning fighting a HDMI cable that didn't want to snake down a wall. He said the HR20 didn't work with HDMI. I said then forget it. He called his office to check. They told him to install and it would work (leap of faith?).

He brought out a HR20 and hooked it up to ensure HDMI would work. Hit the power button and nothing. No lights. dead. He said that was very rare and pulled another out of his truck.

Hooked it up and turned it on. Nothing. No lights. Dead as a doornail.

Third time is a charm. It booted up. We tried it via svideo through my scaler. That worked so we then tried HDMI. That worked fine.

He then replaced my old antenna with the new. Hooked everything up and it all worked.

It took about 3 hours.

That may explain the reports of equipment not being available.

·
Banned
1,614 Posts

No, not really.
Earl has explained several times that the units are selling so good they are sold out, not because they don't work.

I thought I read here there were sometimes issues with a unit being plugged in with HDMI only connected. The other units the installer tried were probably just fine when they were booted up with s-video or rca video connected.

·
AllStar
90 Posts
Installer mounted the new AT-9 dish on the pole I had already in place. He then connected the wires to the LNBs. While he was doing that, I unboxed, installed and connected the multiswitches (four splitters and two WB68s) and the receivers. Once that was done, the installer called D* and activated the receivers. Quick and painless.

·
AllStar
57 Posts
can't really say any of the posts apply to me. I already had an existing box with the exact same connection where my hr-20 is so that part is done, he did the installation because the first one he set up while i was out of the house, and then it started smoking, so he decided he should do the second one too (I was back in the house). the dish he did all of (god, i hope he grounded it!!), but I unboxed the new receivers!

·
Legend
153 Posts
glennb said:

No, not really.
Earl has explained several times that the units are selling so good they are sold out, not because they don't work.
Yes, but if a large percentage of the boxes are defective when they're shipped then there are fewer usable boxes. In my case 3 were used for one install.

·
Godfather
328 Posts
I Just let the installer allign the at9 after he left I ran all new cables from sat to receivers. mainly because he wanted to reuse the rg59 cables and didnt want to even ground those cables. And to run the new cable he was going to charge $70.00 an hour to run it using my cable. I allready activated the hr20 using the 3lnb sat.

·
Icon
828 Posts
My first HR20 was purchased from BB. I swapped out an SD DVR and waited a few days for an installer to come out with an AT-9 which he put up.
The second HR20 I bought from D*. Before the installer came out, I pulled My HR10 from my ent. center in my media room and put it in the living room.
When the installer showed up, we only had to plug in the cables which I had left connected to my A/V receiver. The cables were long enough that I could hold the HR20 and the installer plugged the cables in. It then slipped into the vacant shelf.
The whole thing was done so quickly that we sat around while it was activated and had a couple (non-alcoholic) refreshments and talked about D* and audio/video stuff.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.