DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I asked about the ultimatetv in the other thread. Well I went and got it from circuit city. Couldn't today being sunday but tomorrow (monday) I will call to arrange installation. Hopefully it will happen soon. I brought home the utv, dish, and keyboard. I got the rca. It looked better than the sony version they had which they had at a slightly more expensive price (it was only 35 hours too). Although I highly look forward to learning to use the utv, I find I am a little nervous about the switch from e to d. We currently have e service (top 100) and I am going to drop it and get the total choice plus from d.

Did you switch and were you nervous about it? How did it end up working out for you? What do you think?

I also have a decision to make about my other services. If a network should work out on d that would be great (I will try) but I need to plan for the worst so I'll know what to do if I don't get them. Should I keep on e the superstation package and fox/nbc east and west and drop cable completely? In that case I will not have an abc or cbs AT ALL. Or should I drop e completely and keep cable, which at it's basic level would be more in price but I would have at least one of all the networks (including wb/upn)?
Based on price, either cable or e is a goner when I activate d service. Let me know what you would do or what you did.

Oh, I am also trying to decide when I turn on d if I should sign up for hbo or starz? What do you think of starz (that package)?

Thanks again. I think I will love utv. I am just a bit nervous and need some encouragement.
gtc

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just thought of another quick question. On d* do you know if it is possible to order up a COLLEGE football game on a pay-per-view basis or is the espn gameplan thing all there is? What about NFL (do you have to get the whole season and are monday games included)? Mainly I was wondering about the college games as my family likes to follow oklahoma games (even though we live in kentucky).

Just curious how the football programming works on d*

Thanks!
gtc

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
On d* do you know if it is possible to order up a COLLEGE football game on a pay-per-view basis or is the espn gameplan thing all there is?
ESPN Gameplan PPV is available on D*, just as E* for $11.99/game.

What about NFL (do you have to get the whole season and are monday games included
NFTST is a full season package, no PPV games, Monday Night Games arnt included and I dont think ESPN Sunday/Thursday Night games are included either.

·
AllStar
47 Posts
Like you i was nervous about the switch but all seems well at this time ... although i only switched 2 weeks ago.

one question you asked was HBO or Starz ... as a new subscriber you get 3 free months of starz so while i think it's a junk service personally free is better than $12 a month so decide in 90 days.

another question is about keeping cable or e* ... drop em both (that will give you enuf money for another 2 or 3 packages)... d* has the same coverage as basic cable or e* in most localities. Another advantage to totally dropping e* is that you can sell the equipment to make a small profit on the switch (in my case, i got 2 sony utv's and a b-65 installed and still pocketed 30 dollars).

only negative so far is that i think that UTV is harder to use than Dish's PVR's ( guess Bill Gates engineers are not as good at satellite receiver remote design as Charlies). But the services and capabilities are extermely close between tivo, utv and dish pvr so most wouldn't notice a real difference.

good luck on your switch ... and for those still considering it, think in these terms (if e* and d* merge like Charlie wants all the deals to switch between d* and e* will disappear meaning your only choice will be to go back to cable, not an attractive option).

·
Legend
214 Posts
I switched from E* to D* 3 months ago and have had UTV for almost 2 months and have loved it. I was a dishplayer user before and have had no problems w/ my UTV since I have had it! Now D* is adding my locals by the end of Aug. I couldn't be happier. I used to have Sho and hardly watched anything on it except SG-1 and Jerimiah. Now I have Starz and I have watched it more than I ever watched Sho. So many more movies.

·
Icon
597 Posts
I switched back in March and I was looking forward to it. I had the Dishplayer and had had enough with all the little bugs. The $50 price tag for a Sony W60 didn't hurt either. Once you start using your UTV, you won't look back either..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.