DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
AllStar
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to add an additional (nonDVR) receiver to a TV in a back bedroom. I was planning on picking up an H20 and was wondering what the difference was in the model numbers? I see references to H20-100 and H20-600 in various threads?

·
AllStar
69 Posts
Based only on my personal experience the 100 seems faster thru guide and menu screens and also runs cooler than the 600.

·
Cool Member
25 Posts
I forget who manufactures which one but I know that one is MUCH better then the other. Problem is I can't remember which one...LOL. One of them only required one software downgrade and it was just to make the signal meter match the other one. The readings would show up a little lower then they actually were. I want to say it's the 600 but don't qoute me. I'll ask my husband later and respond back. We had an H20 prior to our HR20. It was the glitchy one and was a real pain at the begining. Anywho, I'll get back to you.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,137 Posts
Samsung & LG

·
Cool Member
25 Posts
The 100 is made by RCA and the 600 is made by LG. The 100 was the receiver that had less issues and only needed the one software update for the signal meter.

100 RCA
200 Samsung
300 Phillips
400 Hughes
500 Humax
600 LG
700 Pace

Those are the manufacture codes for all DTV receivers.

·
Cool Member
13 Posts
LeoGetz said:
I just got the 100 to replace my 600..it is like night and day...I had all kinds of issues with the 600 and not i love my HD again....The 100 is far better...
I am soooo glad I caught this post. I just got a -100 yesterday....and I thought I got an older model (-100 vs. -600, a higher number = more up-to-date). Not true. And it's funny how the D* techincal and retention groups do not know that either.

Glad now I got the -100, but I have an over-zoom problem (another post).

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
There are isssues with the -100 regarding the HDMI compatibility with some makes of television sets (particularly Samsung).

·
Cool Member
14 Posts
bobnielsen said:
There are isssues with the -100 regarding the HDMI compatibility with some makes of television sets (particularly Samsung).
hey bob
i am changing my 100 for a 600 because of the hdmi issues, do you think i am making a mistake. what should i look for in the 600 (problems?) or should i wait for the fix

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
mc115 said:
hey bob
i am changing my 100 for a 600 because of the hdmi issues, do you think i am making a mistake. what should i look for in the 600 (problems?) or should i wait for the fix
I have a 600 and it runs a bit hot, but has only reset by itself once in 5 months, which I don't see as a problem. It is on a shelf out in the open with plenty of air flow and I have a fan ready to add if it gets worse (if it gets really bad I'l l try to get a -100). I suspect that having it in a cabinet is a bad idea. I don't know if either the HDMI or overheating problems could be solved with a software fix, but there are some software updates in the works (apparently still being tested and not ready yet).

·
Cool Member
25 Posts
mc115 said:
hey bob
Honestly I would just use components and an optical cable and take the better box. The only advantage that HDMI has over that set up is
1. Less cables, less mess
2. HDMI is 7.1 instead of 5.1.
I really don't care about the cables because I know how to hide them and I don't have and don't plan on getting a 7.1 in the future. Some folks find these things advantages so they get the 600 and as Bob was saying they set up fans. They make sure there is a lot of clearance. It's which ever you prefer.

·
AllStar
69 Posts
earthymoon said:
Honestly I would just use components and an optical cable and take the better box. The only advantage that HDMI has over that set up is
1. Less cables, less mess
2. HDMI is 7.1 instead of 5.1.
I really don't care about the cables because I know how to hide them and I don't have and don't plan on getting a 7.1 in the future. Some folks find these things advantages so they get the 600 and as Bob was saying they set up fans. They make sure there is a lot of clearance. It's which ever you prefer.
HDMI = Digital
Component = Analog

·
Cool Member
25 Posts
Marino13 said:
HDMI = Digital
Component = Analog
That's true but here's the thing, Digital only starts to win over Analog at 1080p which isn't even broadcasted because the fps goes above standards. Until they can raise the fps the picture quality between the analog and digital cables will remain the same. Personally I think DVI video and Optical sound is the best way to go. Fiberoptic carries sound much better then metal connections. But everyone has gone crazy for HDMI so they might move away from DVI/Optical. Basically I don't want to be stuck with an 8-track, Beta-Max, or any Laser Disks.

·
AllStar
69 Posts
earthymoon said:
That's true but here's the thing, Digital only starts to win over Analog at 1080p which isn't even broadcasted because the fps goes above standards. Until they can raise the fps the picture quality between the analog and digital cables will remain the same. Personally I think DVI video and Optical sound is the best way to go. Fiberoptic carries sound much better then metal connections. But everyone has gone crazy for HDMI so they might move away from DVI/Optical. Basically I don't want to be stuck with an 8-track, Beta-Max, or any Laser Disks.
Unfortunately, I would have to disagree with you. When you send a signal over HDMI/DVI the signal stays in the intended format until the televisions scaler (or in my case the Lumagen Video Processor) takes the signal and converts it to its panels resolution. When you use Component you are relying on each piece of equipment to convert the signal from digital to analog and back to digital again when the signal gets to the television. Then the television will again do its scaling. The problem with this is that there is no standard (at least not one that any manufacturer follows) for component (analog) video signals. A H-20 component video ouptut could look totally different than a HD cable box component video output with the same exact input signal. This is easy to test with a OTA HD signal. Most people probably would not notice the difference if all you are doing is hooking up the H-20 to the TV. But saying that Component is as good as HDMI/DVI is misleading.

·
Cool Member
25 Posts
Marino13 said:
Unfortunately, I would have to disagree with you. When you send a signal over HDMI/DVI the signal stays in the intended format until the televisions scaler (or in my case the Lumagen Video Processor) takes the signal and converts it to its panels resolution. When you use Component you are relying on each piece of equipment to convert the signal from digital to analog and back to digital again when the signal gets to the television. Then the television will again do its scaling. The problem with this is that there is no standard (at least not one that any manufacturer follows) for component (analog) video signals. A H-20 component video ouptut could look totally different than a HD cable box component video output with the same exact input signal. This is easy to test with a OTA HD signal. Most people probably would not notice the difference if all you are doing is hooking up the H-20 to the TV. But saying that Component is as good as HDMI/DVI is misleading.
It's really all of a matter of opionion right now at these low fps. Some swear by HDMI and some feel that at this time component is adequate. I agree with the later and I understand why people hold their opionion of HDMI. All I was trying to state is that HDMI like any other technology will be fairly useless until it's standardized. I know we could go on and on for days about this subject but hey that's the fun of the forums. I'm not convincing you and you're not convincing me but I think we can see where we are both coming from. :)

·
AllStar
72 Posts
mc115 said:
hey bob
I had major problems with heat and resetting with the 600. It was replaced with the 100 model which has a faster guide and doesn't reset every 2 minutes. The 600 is made by LG which is Lucky Goldstar....previously known just as Goldstar. Every Goldstar product I've ever purchased since the 70's seems to burn out shortly after the warranty period expires and costs more to fix than buying a new one.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
I just got my first HR20, and it is a 600. Runs really hot, hotter than my HR20. No problems yet connected via component cables to a Panny LCD set in the bedroom.

I'll probably stay with component input in the bedroom since we are viewing a 32-inch set from 12 feet away, any quality difference between HDMI and component (if there is one) would probably not be visible anyway.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.