DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed an interesting warning message in the instruction manual for my brand new Olympus FE-170 digital camera that states you shouldn't cover the flash with your hand while firing.

Is the flash dangerous to your skin or something?

· Old Guys Rule!
5,048 Posts
CoriBright said:
It's hot and can burn.
Really? I'll admit I'd never tried covering the flash on a digital camera with my hand, but out of curiosity, I took a flash picture with my Canon Powershot A80, with my finger obscuring (but not quite touching) the flash lens. I think I observed a bit of heat, but touched the lens immediately after the flash and noted no significant warmth. I then got out the camera manual, and found this caution:
"Be careful not to cover the flash with your fingers or clothing when shooting. The flash may be damaged and emit smoke or noise. In addition, do not touch the surface of the flash after taking several pictures in rapid succession. Either action could result in burns."
Who'd have thunk it? :icon_stup

· Godfather
410 Posts
Cholly said:
Really? I'll admit I'd never tried covering the flash on a digital camera with my hand, but out of curiosity, I took a flash picture with my Canon Powershot A80, with my finger obscuring (but not quite touching) the flash lens. I think I observed a bit of heat, but touched the lens immediately after the flash and noted no significant warmth. I then got out the camera manual, and found this caution:
"Be careful not to cover the flash with your fingers or clothing when shooting. The flash may be damaged and emit smoke or noise. In addition, do not touch the surface of the flash after taking several pictures in rapid succession. Either action could result in burns."
Who'd have thunk it? :icon_stup
I have an external flash for my Canon and when it fires at full power there is a very short but very hot flash. I am not sure the compacts can put out as much power, but would think they are very warm at full flash power.

· Hall Of Fame
21,334 Posts
I think there is also the possibility of the bulb exploding and they are worried about possible damage or injury from that. Of course the main reason is to avoid being sued by someone who did something foolish. :)

· Legend/Supporter
750 Posts
ultranet said:
well if we talk about possibilities Once I heared from a news that a computer exploded killing one teenager in Sydney, Australia..I dont know if that is true or not. But I think that is one in the trillion and trillion of chance.
:eek2:
Goodluck
Ooooh, Mythbusters could investigate that one!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.