DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All, I'm currently an Adelphia cable subscriber, but Dish has just announced that they are now carrying my locals (Burlington,VT), and I'm looking to jump ship. (sorry that this post is a bit long winded...)

In talking with some resellers, I seem to be confused as to why I would want to buy my own receivers, switches, dishes, etc when the Digital Home Plan sounds like such a darn good deal. Can anyone tell me if I am missing something?

My situation:
I have (3) TVs that I would like independant receivers for. I'd also like to try a PVR (I'd LOVE a 721, but it's waaaay too expensive). So here is the comparision I did:

DHP:
With DHP I get all of the hardware ((2) 301s, (1) 501, sat, switches, etc.) for only $99.00 installed. For programming: Top 100 for 3 receivers, + Locals + Superstations (no WB or UPN on my locals) = $57.97/month

BUY:
(2) 301s + (1) 501 = $450.00 with sat. Switches is an extra $100.00. Programming for the same package above is $52.97/month.
---------------------------

Sooo, it appears that I am saving all of the upfront expense of the 3 receivers ($450!!!), and paying only $5.00 extra a month - I would need to subscribe for almost 8 years before I made up that difference!

Again, sorry this is so long, but the decision seems so obvious that I feel like I must be missing something.... Is there some other plan coming that will make these deals obsolete? My dealer tells me that the above DHP deal is good only thru July 31st.

Thanks!!
Kevin O

· Your Neighborhood Liasion
12,527 Posts
I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure with the DHP you pay $149 to get a 501 in the deal (it's $49 installation plus $99 upgrade to a 501). Other than that, yeah...I think it's a decent deal.

BTW, Welcome to DBSTalk! :hi:

· Hall Of Fame
5,047 Posts
Welcome to DBStalk kevino. :)
The DHP programming should be $15.00 more a month if you have 3 receivers.

I could be wrong but I thought for every receiver you get under this plan the programming is $5.00 more a month.

AT 100 costs 31.99
DHP AT 100 cost 46.99 ( 3 receivers )

· Godfather
474 Posts
I have it and it is a decent deal. Here are the drawbacks:

Once in, you can't change equipment in the first year - what you sign up for is what you get. Depending on the CSR you get, you might get away with adding equipment but probably not. You can increase packages.

It is the new users that get deals on equipment, not existing customers. If you ever want to lower your rates by not renting the equipment anymore and buying it instead, you will have to pay full price (or whatever special they may run for existing users).

I signed up for the home plan to see if I wanted satellite as I didn't want to invest a lot of money. I didn't know the equipment prices were even more once I signed up. Fortunately D* has some great deals on UTV equipment for new users and so I am switching now. IMO, it's all going to be the same in a year so get the best equipement for your money now. If merger goes through, Charlie has said you won't have to pay more to get the same features you have when merger is approved.

Other than that, DISH programming is really good overall and 301's are decent systems if you don't mind the rental rates. I am switching as I really regret not being able to get a PVR.

8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting. Thanks for all of the replies.

It still seems odd. The DHP package with three receivers is only $5.00 more /month than the non-lease packages total - $59.97 vs. $52.97 for my package.

They charge $5 extra/month for each receiver in both plans - it's a "mirroring" charge on the owned equipment plan, and a rental fee for the DHP.

Thanks again,
Kevin O

G

·
DISH Networks Digital Home Plan is a rental system, it rents for $5 per month. Both DirecTV and DISH charge $4.99 per month for "mirroring fees" to duplicate programming. DISH just calls it $5 for ease in calculating. With Digital Home Plan you can upgrade to the PVR-508 with 80 gig of hard drive space for $50.
Also as long as you are renting there is a service contract on all DISH branded equipment. How can you go wrong at the end of 1 year you can give it back or continue on a month to month basis.

· Icon
720 Posts
DHP is a great deal on 3 or 4 receiver systems until Aug 1. Right now you get 3 months free of basic channels+locals, after Aug 1, it becomes 1 complete month free. Don't get fooled by spin. The current promotion is far better always. Add it up. However, for 2 receiver systems, Dish's new 2 receiver buying plan is the best ever.

· AllStar
98 Posts
There are also plenty of specials on purchases. See this thread http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6134

I still don't understand the $5 charge for mirroring the programming. I am an owner not a renter and what they are saying is that in the DHP people are basically renting for free as they pay the same $5/receiver charge that I pay.

I also have made the suggestion that they sell a cloned smartcard so that all the receivers in one house run on one smartcard. They would no longer need to mirror the programming. (I'm guessing that they don't want to do this because of some pirating reasons or something because it makes perfect sense to me.)

With cable there are no fees for additional receivers except for monthly rental charges for boxes. These fees make it expensive if you have 5 or 6 TV's to hook up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.