DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Mentor
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have basic cable (without a box) still, and I have that piping into TV2 along with my RG6 feed from my 722. I have The out of the 722 set to CH. 73 where there is no channel on my Cable feed.

I only have 1 RG6 in on my tv so I am currently using a manual A/B switch. can I combine these with a diplexer? Or am i stuck with an A/B switch

· Banned
97 Posts
Why not just have a VCR and have the TV2 (from the 722) via composite to the TV on Ch 73 and have the cable feed into the TV antenna input on the TV?

Then just switch between video and whatever cable channels you want...

That's what I would do...IMHO :)

· Mentor
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
all my vcr's finally died, and I got another project going that is going to require 2 50ft cable runs.
I have TV 1 going HDMI into TV1 (in my basement) and I am going to Run Component cables and analog audio 50 ft into my living room so I can watch HD on both TVs, but there may be that time when my wife wants to watch something that I don't, so I get the HD in the basement, then she will switch the input up stairs in the living room to RG6 and be able to watch the SD feed from TV2 or the Cable feed, without having to use an A/B box.

And my composite input on the living room tv is being used by my 4year old's V-tech game

That's the problem with cheap visio tvs 1 component, 1composit/s-video, 1 RG6 tuner, 3 HDMI's

· Legend
140 Posts
You might be able to take a splitter and reverse it (put the two cables you want to combine on the outputs of the Splitter) but unless your 'Cable' cable has absolutely nothing on Ch 73 (no carrier or anything) you'll probably see some interference when you try and view it. You may be better off sticking with the A/B switch for now. I'm not sure if they make them, but perhaps you can find an A/B switch with a remote.

Also, for future reference, a Dixplexer is used when you want to combine Satellite signals with Cable/Ant signals on the same cable run, and they work in pairs (combine on one end and split on the other). Basically it's a way to run both your Sat and Cable/Ant lines to your equipment without having to have two full runs.

· Mentor
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok I thought so, I have 2 diplexers, and I didn't want to just try them. has anyone used the reversed splitter? My cable co is blank on ch 73, it shows as a solid blue screen on my tv when i don't have the 722 selected on the A/B switch

· Hall Of Fame
2,130 Posts
forya said:
ok I thought so, I have 2 diplexers, and I didn't want to just try them. has anyone used the reversed splitter? My cable co is blank on ch 73, it shows as a solid blue screen on my tv when i don't have the 722 selected on the A/B switch
A diplexor works fine and is your recommended choice. Many typical splitter's are diplexers. The DPP seperator is not recommended.

· Hall Of Fame
1,286 Posts
A diplexor works fine and is your recommended choice. Many typical splitter's are diplexers. The DPP seperator is not recommended.
he doesn't need a diplexor as they are for combining a satellite signal with a vhf/uhf signal. He is wanting to combine two VHF signals. All he needs is a normal splitter to use to combine the two signals.

use the reversed splitter, it will work since there is no cable channel on ch.73

· Hall Of Fame
1,286 Posts
The reversed splitter didn't work, there was sound, but snowy picture
could be a bad splitter, or there is something interfering with the signal on that frequency. try another splitter, if it does the same thing, then its interference. Can try modulating the tv2 output to a different channel if that's the case, or just stick with the switch.

here's one with a remote if you don't want to have to get up every time to change it.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2049643&cp=&sr=1&origkw=a%2Fb+switch&kw=a%2Fb+switch&parentPage=search

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.