DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Legend
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this should be under Installation, please move, it wouldn't let me post in that forum :D

I've had DirecTV for 6 months, and love it. I have 2 standard definition receivers, and 1 HR21-700 receiver. I would like to add OTA capability to all 3 receivers. Do I need a multiswitch to do this? I have a AU9S dish with 4 lines coming inside, 2 for my DVR and 1 each for each standard definition receiver.

I don't have an outdoor antenna either, and will need to buy one. I was thinking about buying one that will work with the DirecTV mast, any ideas? Please help!

Justin

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
The SD receivers don't have have OTA tuners either, nor any way to add them. You could run an OTA line directly to the TV or get a couple of the digital tuners with the $40 government coupons.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
bobnielsen said:
The SD receivers don't have have OTA tuners either,
Then what is the "off air in" on all R1x and D1x IRD's for then? Granted they won't be useful after the analog shutoff. But they do have them.

·
Registered
16,659 Posts
Mertzen said:
Then what is the "off air in" on all R1x and D1x IRD's for then? Granted they won't be useful after the analog shutoff. But they do have them.
For folks that use coax connections to their TV's from the SD DVR's. That way they can move the coax from the TV to the DVR and then output from the DVR to the TV.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,489 Posts
Mertzen said:
Those are passthroughs, they allow antenna/cable/VCR/etc. RF to pass to the RF output connector, when the IRD is either off, or in standby.

There are no OTA tuners in any SD D* IRDs.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,489 Posts
RAD said:
I think you meant to say There are no OTA tuners in any SD D* IRDs.
Yep...I fixed my typo...thanks.

·
Legend
232 Posts
idigg said:
If this should be under Installation, please move, it wouldn't let me post in that forum :D

I've had DirecTV for 6 months, and love it. I have 2 standard definition receivers, and 1 HR21-700 receiver. I would like to add OTA capability to all 3 receivers. Do I need a multiswitch to do this? I have a AU9S dish with 4 lines coming inside, 2 for my DVR and 1 each for each standard definition receiver.

I don't have an outdoor antenna either, and will need to buy one. I was thinking about buying one that will work with the DirecTV mast, any ideas? Please help!

Justin
The cleanest way to do this now is to use a SWM8. The SWM has a port for an OTA. You then use a diplexer at your receiver to split the OTA signal out to the OTA input on the D* receiver or to the OTA input for your TV.

As was pointed out earlier, you also have the basic problem of not having OTA capability with the HR21. You have to add the AM21 to get that capability.

There is a way to move the BBC in the RF chain to allow for diplexing to an HD receiver. You just move the BBC to the input side of diplexer upstream of the receiver. I did this when I had an H20 receiver. Worked just fine. If you think about it, it's what the SWM is doing internally since it has the BBC functionality built into it.

At this point, you just need to decide if you want to go through the cost and effort. If you do, there's a way to get there. There's always a way to get there...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.