DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· AllStar
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know one of you guys have come across this. I had a tech as me if it is possible to diplex cable with the SWM. I have not come across this, yet. So I figured I would ask the pros! Any feedback would be welcomed!

Good Ole
SB

· Hall Of Fame
1,489 Posts
Maybe.

It all depends...if any of the cable frequencies used are the same as the SWM channels and control frequencies it will not work.

If there are no conflicts it might work. YMMV

Remember, that diplexing isn't supported by D*. :)

· Hall Of Fame
1,489 Posts
FWIW...I was diplexing Cox analog basic cable and Internet externally with a legacy port on the SWM-8.

I never had an issue.

· Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
MIAMI1683 said:
Yes it is possible. Saw someone did it with an SWMLNB and cable internet
But not always possible.

Many people who have ONLY cable internet have filters installed on their line that removes the TV signals and only allows the lower frequency cable modem signals through. That makes it less likely to interfere with the sat signal.

Without those filters, most modern cable systems go up high enough in frequency to conflict with the sat signals, but since all cable systems are local, and no two are exactly the same, it might work in one neighborhood on one system and not for someone a block over on a different system, even under the same national brand.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,475 Posts
Kansas Zephyr said:
FWIW...I was diplexing Cox analog basic cable and Internet externally with a legacy port on the SWM-8.
That doesn't count. The legacy port lacks frequencies that compete with basic CATV and DOCSIS.

· Legend
103 Posts
I have successfully diplexed Charter (Internet and CATV) with Directv. All jacks in my condo have Charter (analog/ Clear QAM cable provided free, internet capability, and directv) All work well, a few vhf-lo analog channels could use a signal boost but I suspect this is do to the multiple splitters involved to make it work. Pre-amping the cable signal before it hits my system is in the plans. SAT signal doesn't appear to be effected. All clear QAM digital stations come in perfectly. I used the 2ghz splitters available at Home Depot as a diplexer and reversed as splitters on the other end.

· Hall Of Fame
1,489 Posts
harsh said:
That doesn't count. The legacy port lacks frequencies that compete with basic CATV and DOCSIS.
As do the SWM/FTM ports, too.

Cable TV "jumbo-band" tops out at 1001.75 MHz. The 1st SWM channel is 1076 MHz.

Cable Internet Upstream is between 5-42MHz, and down is 50-750MHz.

The SWM's control is 2.3MHz and the guide data is on 974MHz (which may conflict IF there is something on cable "channel" 154 - 973.25MHz).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.