DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own the 508 and 510 DVR from Dish and have never had any major issues. It has always worked as advertised....still missing NBR, but it never had it so I can't complain much. However I was considering heading to Direct TV because it seems that Dish is always having issues with channels (currently with Pappas).

However, since I don't know anyone with Direct TV I have a few concerns.

1. Can I prevent software upgrades with Direct TV (I can prevent it with Dish).
- Why you ask, I don't want a upgrade to prevent me from using my Fastforward button. There is already an upgrade that I have read about that prevented one users from using it. Don't want that.

2. Should I get a HD recorder with the move (Since I should take advantage of the offers they have for "New Customer Only") or since I don't have a HD TV, shoudl I just get a standard recorder?
- BTW: I hate and think that it should be illegal for comapnies to offer "New Customer Only" deals while the rest of us are stuck with the older stuff.

3. Anyone have any preferences are Dish or DirectTV. Any horror stories or happy stories or anything that might help. I'm kind of walking the line and not sure which direction to fall.

Thanks

· Super Moderator
12,436 Posts
1. No you can't prevent upgrades. However in addition be advised that what functions are or are not available and how they work could be very different between Dish and DirecTV. Don't expect D* to look and feel like E*.

2. Entirely up to you.

3. Lots of threads already on these forums comparing the two. Do some searches and you should find tons of comparisons.

Carl

4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have seen the D (TiVo) in action and I do not expect anything close to the same features and functionality.

If I get the HD REciever/Recorder, can I still watch a HD channel on my LD TV?

I will do some searching and see what I can find.

Thank you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.