DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Mentor
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think Directv should refund any costs paid for the HR20, since it has failed to provide all features as advertised. It would show that Directv wants to keep all its customers happy. I gave $299.99 plus tax for the two I have. No OTA, refund time!

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Good Luck with that...

3 months and 13 days since it was publicly released.... And you have concluded that they will ultimately fail to deliver.

Gosh, glad you did buy the first DTivo's that where released, it took them about 3 months to get dual tuners going (an advertised feature).

Or any product that has a port for "future" use.

If you so feel inclined... give DirecTV a call, and ask them to refund your money.

·
Mentor
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
Good Luck with that...

3 months and 13 days since it was publicly released.... And you have concluded that they will ultimately fail to deliver.

Gosh, glad you did buy the first DTivo's that where released, it took them about 3 months to get dual tuners going (an advertised feature).

Or any product that has a port for "future" use.

If you so feel inclined... give DirecTV a call, and ask them to refund your money.
Can you say class action? False advertising? I read the same thing you did when I bought it. It is clear that this box does not receive or record OTA as it was advertised too do! I have been with D since they started and will continue to be but they should not be charging for this upgrade! They already have a DVR fee that most people pay, I don't because I subscribe to everything they sell, and a two year choke collar with it as well not to metion you never own it!

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
COPTERDOCTOR said:
Can you say class action? False advertising? I read the same thing you did when I bought it. It is clear that this box does not receive or record OTA as it was advertised too do! I have been with D since they started and will continue to be but they should not be charging for this upgrade! They already have a DVR fee that most people pay, I don't because I subscribe to everything they sell, and a two year choke collar with it as well not to metion you never own it!
Your right... it is a two year contract.... and you will never "own it".

But last time I checked... DirecTV wasn't "forcing" the upgrade on anyone yet. Everyone who got the HR20 either got it because they asked for it, or as a replacement to a defective unit (in which then they didn't probably have to pay for it).

So yes... some people who got an HR20, before the "sticker" was applied to the boxes (stating Late 2006 for the OTA), may have a gripe.... And yes, those that where "told" one thing or another....

But ultimately...

If you can find a Lawyer and court, that will rule in your favor.... then you just found a lawyer and court that will shake up the the entire technological world with a landmark case...

As I have plenty of devices lying around the house with "future use" ports, and few that had "promised" features that where never enabled...

·
Mentor
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Earl Bonovich said:

But last time I checked... DirecTV wasn't "forcing" the upgrade on anyone yet. Everyone who got the HR20 either got it because they asked for it, or as a replacement to a defective unit (in which then they didn't probably have to pay for it).

So yes... some people who got an HR20, before the "sticker" was applied to the boxes (stating Late 2006 for the OTA), may have a gripe.... And yes, those that where "told" one thing or another....

But ultimately...

If you can find a Lawyer and court, that will rule in your favor.... then you just found a lawyer and court that will shake up the the entire technological world with a landmark case...

As I have plenty of devices lying around the house with "future use" ports, and few that had "promised" features that where never enabled...
No,they were not forcing anybody. But what they were doing was advertising and I along with everbody I trusted them to deliver what they said. It would not be a law suit over technology or ports for future use but one of FALSE advertising. As to finding a lawyer, marriage granted me a Federal Prosecuter! I hope they fix it before all these people that have been snatching them from the shelves at Best Buy get MAD! I beleive they can and will, but now is the time!

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
What specifically... in their advertising, is false...

Can you not record HD programs?
Can you not FF through commercials?
Can you not access Local HD programming, if it is available in your area?
Does the unit not have the approximate capacity for 50hrs of MPEG-4, 30hrs of MPEG-2, and 200 hours of SD?
Does the unit not have Interactive functions?

Other then "bugs" that cause some of the functions to fail....
And OTA being "delayed"... doesn't constitue false advertising.

And just quickly going down the "Best Buy" spec sheet from their website....
I only found one thing wrong with it.... the HR20 actually has 2 ATSC tuners, not 1.

So if you really, truely think you where wronged... Call DirecTV, state your case. If they refuse to help you, then carry it to the next level...

·
Mentor
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
What specifically... in their advertising, is false...

Can you not record HD programs?
Can you not FF through commercials?
Can you not access Local HD programming, if it is available in your area?
Does the unit not have the approximate capacity for 50hrs of MPEG-4, 30hrs of MPEG-2, and 200 hours of SD?
Does the unit not have Interactive functions?

Other then "bugs" that cause some of the functions to fail....
And OTA being "delayed"... doesn't constitue false advertising.

And just quickly going down the "Best Buy" spec sheet from their website....
I only found one thing wrong with it.... the HR20 actually has 2 ATSC tuners, not 1.

So if you really, truely think you where wronged... Call DirecTV, state your case. If they refuse to help you, then carry it to the next level...
I have been defending this box just like you, but you know as well as I do that even the owners manual says you can record off the air. Granted they said late 2006 later, but if not before the last day of 2006 it would clearly be False advertising. I have said nothing of all the malfunctions. There is also the statement of networking with Intel that has yet to surface. I hope they can fix it all, but expecting your consumers to finance your BETA testing all the while your holding a two year contract over them is a big gamble. Lets hope for OTA before New Years!:D

·
Legend
115 Posts
COPTERDOCTOR said:
I have been defending this box just like you, but you know as well as I do that even the owners manual says you can record off the air. Granted they said late 2006 later, but if not before the last day of 2006 it would clearly be False advertising. I have said nothing of all the malfunctions. There is also the statement of networking with Intel that has yet to surface. I hope they can fix it all, but expecting your consumers to finance your BETA testing all the while your holding a two year contract over them is a big gamble. Lets hope for OTA before New Years!:D
So I am assuming this is your first device you have ever bought that has had bug's, glitches, and if it isn't I assume you have taken up class actions against all these other device manufactures, I didn't sue motorola when my razr phone didn't work as it was advertised, I patiently waited for the software downloads that fixes these glitches. I had to take my truck into the shop 6 times to fix glitches. My point is this sure you paid $299 you didn't have to, you knew it was new technology, DTV has and still is working on the glitches your receiver is indeed capable of receiving OTA however it just isn't activated yet. Wouldn't you rather wait for it to be activated when they have tested it repeatedly to insure that you don't conintue to have problems with it once it is activated. Just my humble opinion for what it's worth.

·
Icon
545 Posts
Haven't we been thru this thread in one form or another 2 or 3 times?

STOP!

If you plunked down $299 for the HR20, not knowing what features were working or what problems it was having, shame on you! (buyer beware)!

As my daughter often tells me "Build a bridge, get over it"

It will work when it works and OTA will be active when they activate it!!!

·
Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08
5,222 Posts
Funny...it was made very clear to me when I upgraded that there were still issues and OTA wasn't activated (though they did suggest it would be by thanksgiving, Dec. at the latest) ;)

No one put a gun to my head.

I didn't know the closed captioning was borked, and if that's not fixed by January, you know what I'll do? Call and complain. They don't have to give me a refund or credit me. I just will want them to know it is important and it is getting them a complaint.

Not everything is about chopping $ off my bill. I think I get what I pay for.

·
Registered
16,659 Posts
I got the HR20 becuase it is the only HD STB that D* has that had the active feature available. If D* had enabled the feature on the H20 which I have I would have probably waited but since active is needed to use the Superfan features.

·
Legend
128 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

But ultimately...

If you want to record HD channels many of us pay for you are forced to get a HR20 since direct tv does not offer the hr10 anymore. I think it is dirty and rotten what they have done to the people who pay the bills. They should be offering hr10s to customers who want to record OTA till they get off thier butts and get it active on the hr20. Direct tv got so blind with greed they completely negleted the customer. Then on all top of this they keep stringing people alone with phoney dates of feature activation.

With your last sentence are you hinting OTA is never going live or a long long ways from being active?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
vikingguy said:
If you want to record HD channels many of us pay for you are forced to get a HR20 since direct tv does not offer the hr10 anymore. I think it is dirty and rotten what they have done to the people who pay the bills. They should be offering hr10s to customers who want to record OTA till they get off thier butts and get it active on the hr20. Direct tv got so blind with greed they completely negleted the customer. Then on all top of this they keep stringing people alone with phoney dates of feature activation.
Considering production of the HR10-250s stopped over 18 months ago...

There was eventually going to be a day that they stopped "offering" them.
If you where dead set of having to record OTA the day you "ordered", then you should have considered getting an HR10-250 from a third party source.

If you where "told" that the HR20 would do OTA, when your ordered it.
Then yes, you have a gripe.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
vikingguy said:
With your last sentence are you hinting OTA is never going live or a long long ways from being active?
Neither... It is a lot closer then you may think.

·
Legend
128 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Considering production of the HR10-250s stopped over 18 months ago...

There was eventually going to be a day that they stopped "offering" them.
If you where dead set of having to record OTA the day you "ordered", then you should have considered getting an HR10-250 from a third party source.

If you where "told" that the HR20 would do OTA, when your ordered it.
Then yes, you have a gripe.
Sure find me a 3rd party with a fair price for a new hr10 and I will be all over it. I don't think 700 dollars is a fair price for a device that will only offer half functionality in 12 months. I will not e-bay because I don't think 400+ is fair for a used unit that will only offer half functionality in 12 months.

If they would of been upfront in august that OTA would be some time next year I would not be in the situation I am in now. They have had to known of a long time that the OTA date was not going to happen but they refused to tell the customer about it.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
vikingguy said:
Sure find me a 3rd party with a fair price for a new hr10 and I will be all over it. I don't think 700 dollars is a fair price for a device that will only offer half functionality in 12 months. I will not e-bay because I don't think 400+ is fair for a used unit that will only offer half functionality in 12 months.

If they would of been upfront in august that OTA would be some time next year I would not be in the situation I am in now. They have had to known of a long time that the OTA date was not going to happen but they refused to tell the customer about it.
You right, there isn't a "fair" price out there for the HR10, because of it's low quantity, and still "relative" high demand.

As for the OTA and statements you where given, via either your retailer or CSR... then yes, you have a gripe.

They haven't "known" for a long time that the OTA date was not going to happen. There has never been a "date" from the people that have been building the thing... they have never stated a date.

Officially on DirecTV.Com it says "Late 2006"... most of the packaging was to be "ammended" with a sticker to say that as well.

Yes, I did original say October was the target time frame... and yes that was missed, primarily because other issues in the HR10 have taken presedence.

Then why not November, well... learning from their mistakes, they are proceeding cautiously as not to introduce any "new" major issues into a box that has been progressively getting better.

So hence why, you will rarely ever, see me give a "specific" date.
It isn't an attempt to "commit", it is just that there is no "specific" date to give.

So yes, it does suck... that you can access the HD channels via OTA as of today... I don't think there is anyone that would argue against having it on the day of the release... but it was it is...

·
Icon
642 Posts
A lot of you guys hang out on this forum and others because you are interested in the technologies, and you want to be informed.

When the HR20 came out, a lot of you had to run right out and get one because it was supposedly the "latest and greatest". Not knowing about the bugs and glitches in the unit until you got it home, now you have a problem with it. SHAME ON YOU! for not having any patience!

For those of you who were later informed of these issues and STILL ordered one, all I can say is OH WELL, YOU GOT WHAT YOU PAID FOR!

Me, I'll stick with my HR10 until it is of no use to me anymore, and I need a new unit. Once that time arrives, hopefully I'll be able to make an informed decision, and the technology will be more stable.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.