DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a weird situation this week and wanted to see if this is normal, other people have experienced it, and if there is something else going on:

Had a blown receiver - did the usual diagonostics over the phone and when DTV validated it was blown, we scheduled a service call from a tech. When the tech got here - he was more interested in checking the other recievers in the house, not the one that was blown. I had one in my master bedroom, but also a very sick girlfriend in there - so said we are not inspecting that one. He appeared visably agitated when I said and became visably ancy ... we then got to the room with the blown reciever. I had taken one box from another room to test it and it was still there. He seemed more interested in that - then the blown box. I showed him where it came from ( another bedroom ). After finally getting to the blown reciever and replacing it ( with several runs to his van ... ), he again counted the tvs and then wanted to go to the multi switch. The house is wired for more outlets then the multi switch - which again sent an inquistion of questions. He finally wanted to visably locate the dish on the roof ... What could have been 15 mins, was well:confused: over an hour.

Thoughts ?

· Registered
16,423 Posts
If it was on his work order to check all units he needed to check all the units to have his job marked as "completed". It's not strange at all.

When I had my HR34 put in he showed me the work order stating that he had to check my HR24 install. I let him, no big deal.

I understand your girlfriend was sick but he was just trying to do his job. It's possible, and some installers on here can say if it's true or not, that he may not get paid for a complete job. That may be why he got "visibly agitated".

· Godfather
504 Posts
I had a non hd receiver replaced with an H25. The tech replaced it and made sure that it was working good. He also set up the remote for it. Then he checked the other H25 and HR24, and made sure that they were all working and that the whole home DVR was too. Of course he asked me to run a phone line for at least 24 hours to the new receiver. I had no problem doing that and was glad that he checked everything out.

· Cool Member
10 Posts
If a tech gets a service call he is then responsible for the entire install. With bad techs out there and DIY homeowners you have to check the entire install. If something that could have prevented another service call was not found it can affect the techs pay for the next quarter.

· Legend
227 Posts
A friend of mine just had a dish reinstalled after a roof repair and had a similar "peculiar" experience. After the tech reinstalled and aligned the dish he insisted on running a confirmation check. My friend was told to have his receivers on and report on what he saw. Since we don't have cell service here, the tech drove down the road and made a call to his tech folks. They sent a special number to his receiver that showed on the screen. The tech called back and my friend had to confirm the number on his screen. This is the first time something like this has happened to him. Weird.

· Godfather
267 Posts
Same here, Last Augsut with a power surge we lost 4 receivers tech had to make sure signal strength was good on the other 4, he did not check the one in the RV, just the ones in the house. When I had the HR34 installed he had to get to all of the receivers as well.

· Legend
244 Posts
All service calls and upgrades with HD recievers (and even r22s without hd) have what is called "IV Retest" on them. The work order is created with it tagged to the most advanced receiver regardless of what you tell them the problem is with. The tech has to click it on his handheld, and it sends a signal to the receiver and it simulates the initial installation tests. After it passes, it gives a 4 digit completion code. The tech has to input that code into the system in order for the job to close, without it, the job can't be closed and the tech won't get paid. If there is limited service, then the tech has to call in to a sup or dispatcher to trigger the test.

While it can be annoying and a pain in the ass (especially if its tagged to an hr22-100), it was designed with good intentions, to make sure your dish is properly aligned and eliminate a second trip from the tech

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.