DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi new to the site and have a question....I purchased a directv system online and when I installed it the system seems to have a basic package still on it I get regular tv....I want to know if it is possible to add to this a better package or will I be shut down and have to buy all new equiptment,,,Thnx

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,461 Posts
SlimJim said:
Hi new to the site and have a question....I purchased a directv system online and when I installed it the system seems to have a basic package still on it I get regular tv....I want to know if it is possible to add to this a better package or will I be shut down and have to buy all new equiptment,,,Thnx
Call the outfit that set you up (or DIRECTV) and they will set you up with whatever you want (assuming you have appropriate equipment).

To give you more detailed information, you need to give us more detailed information than just "directv system". The model number of the receiver(s) and any words printed on the sunny side of the dish would help.

·
Icon
1,569 Posts
The D11 receiver is standard definition and MPEG2 only. That will still give you the option to subscribe to almost everything that is available in SD. The few SD channels I can think of that are broadcast in MPEG4, and therefore, you cannot get with the D11, are the NASA channel and Baby's First TV. There are also a few channels that are only available in HD (HDNet, Smithsonian HD, MGM HD, Sony Movie Channel HD, Universal HD, Crime & Investigation HD, and PALLADIA HD) that you cannot get with the D11.

You can either call DirecTV or access your account at www.directv.com to upgrade your package at any time, but if you want HD, the NASA channel, or Baby's First TV, then you need to upgrade your receiver.

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.....But I dont have an account I won this on Ebay and installed it myself and when I turned it on the channels worked so I have basic so once I call them then I guess they will shut this down?? I just thought something was odd....

·
Icon
1,288 Posts
SlimJim said:
Thanks.....But I dont have an account I won this on Ebay and installed it myself and when I turned it on the channels worked so I have basic so once I call them then I guess they will shut this down?? I just thought something was odd....
The next time they send out the authorization signals, which they do periodically, I expect you'll lose your reception, whether you call them or not.

·
Icon
1,569 Posts
To continue to receive anything, you will have to have an account. If the box was previously owned by the seller (or whomever provided it to you) and not leased, you can call 1 800 DirecTV to set up an account. As I understand it, owned boxes can be transferred to another user, but the access card cannot. When you call to create your own account, DirecTV will send you a new access card and ask you to mail the access card that is currently in the box back to them.

If the box was a leased box or a box that has been registered as stolen, then whomever provided it to you did not have the right to do so. In that case, when you call DirecTV to activate the box, you will have a problem.

Either way, unless you create an account with DirecTV, you will lose all programing at some point in the near future.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.