DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
AllStar
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting inside-the-cover ad in the latest issue of Home Theater magazine by DirecTV (January 2008).

Midway through the text of the ad, DirecTV says: "And soon, only DirecTV will have the capacity to offer 150 HD channels. That's three times as many HD channels as cable ... and that matters. There's good TV, there's better TV and then there's DirecTV."

I didnt know cable had the capacity to offer 50 HD channels, as the DTV ad suggests. Anyway, there it is. I am surprised DTV is advertising this early on their new capacity, so let's hope it means the new channels will be coming sooner in 2007 rather than later.

·
Icon
1,878 Posts
jbart1965 said:
Interesting inside-the-cover ad in the latest issue of Home Theater magazine by DirecTV (January 2008).

Midway through the text of the ad, DirecTV says: "And soon, only DirecTV will have the capacity to offer 150 HD channels. That's three times as many HD channels as cable ... and that matters. There's good TV, there's better TV and then there's DirecTV."

I didnt know cable had the capacity to offer 50 HD channels, as the DTV ad suggests. Anyway, there it is. I am surprised DTV is advertising this early on their new capacity, so let's hope it means the new channels will be coming sooner in 2007 rather than later.
But that's so misleading, isn't it? Do they mean EVERY subscriber will have the ability to access ALL 150 HD channels or does that include all of their OTA HD channels of which you will only get what's in your demo? Reading that, it leads me to believe that soon, I will have 150 HD channels to choose from.

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
I am surprised DTV is advertising this early on their new capacity, so let's hope it means the new channels will be coming sooner in 2007 rather than later.
It cannot come until DirecTV 10 and 11 are launched. They are currently set for April-ish and June-ish (final dates won't be announced until about a month ahead of time, if past generalities hold true). Each satellite then usually gets several weeks to a month or so to be tested, calibrated and put into service.

Of course, there's not 150 channels worth of national HD yet but it will certainly help for HD sports packages for out-of-market games and such. And that's not even mentioning the shortage of HR20's, but presumably they'll be up to speed and availability will increase by the time the new sats are operational.

·
Registered
16,659 Posts
Steveknj said:
But that's so misleading, isn't it? Do they mean EVERY subscriber will have the ability to access ALL 150 HD channels or does that include all of their OTA HD channels of which you will only get what's in your demo? Reading that, it leads me to believe that soon, I will have 150 HD channels to choose from.
D*'s been saying that they will have the capacity to handle 150 national HD channels and 1500 LIL HI channels once all four KA band satellites are operational in 2007. Now will there be 150 national HD channels in 2007, doubtful, but if there were, D* could provide them if they wanted to.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,580 Posts
jbart1965 said:
I am surprised DTV is advertising this early on their new capacity, so let's hope it means the new channels will be coming sooner in 2007 rather than later.
They started advertising this capacity during the Super Bowl about 3 years ago.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,019 Posts
Does anyone know what will happen when more channels start going HD, like MTV, USA, FX, etc.? Will they be part of the HD package? Will the HD package eventually go away and the HD channels will be part of the regular line-up?

Right now, there is nothing in the HD package that is worth $10 a month to me, so I will be canceling when my 4 free months are up, but I might consider if there were better channels with stuff I actually watched.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
mtnagel said:
Does anyone know what will happen when more channels start going HD, like MTV, USA, FX, etc.? Will they be part of the HD package? Will the HD package eventually go away and the HD channels will be part of the regular line-up?

Right now, there is nothing in the HD package that is worth $10 a month to me, so I will be canceling when my 4 free months are up, but I might consider if there were better channels with stuff I actually watched.
I would guess that the HD package will remain for a while and any new channels added next year will be part of it. It seems logical that the HD package will go away eventually as HD becomes more mainstream; but I think we're talking a timeframe of years when it comes to that.

·
AllStar
60 Posts
jbart1965 said:

Cable television has the capacity to carry as many SD AND HD channels as they want via "Switched Digital Broadcasting". As cable continues to reduce their service group sizes and employ "switched" technology (only the programs a particular service group is watching at any given time are on the cable) there are no limitations to their offerings, HD or otherwise. Of course, only the major cable MSO's are deploying at this time.

·
Legend
231 Posts
RAD said:
D*'s been saying that they will have the capacity to handle 150 national HD channels and 1500 LIL HI channels once all four KA band satellites are operational in 2007. Now will there be 150 national HD channels in 2007, doubtful, but if there were, D* could provide them if they wanted to.
since we know there are not 150 hd channels available , but D* will have the capacity to handle 150 channels after the lauches of the next two satillites, couldn`t they just increase the bandwith provided for the channels they do carry and give us a super sharp and clear picture with that extra room they will have?

·
Mentor
49 Posts
"Dir nes to fst make their HD DVR actu work be they uld be adve such gry mislea fea. I cannot ve they are getting away with ing sh gae products (HR20) th do not reliably ord and dis HD cot."

Ooops .... the above paragraph is like what I listened to after the latest "patch" for the HR20. Now I have audio drop-outs every 30 seconds (in addition to the lip-sync issues that have plagued this box since day 1). Thanks for the "upgrade" DirecTV!!!

Below is the actual paragraph without the "audio drop-outs"

DirecTV needs to first make their HD DVR actually work before they should be advertising such grossly misleading features. I cannot believe they are getting away with releasing such garbage products (HR20) that do not reliably record and display HD content.

·
Mentor
49 Posts
Bay CIty said:
couldn`t they just increase the bandwith provided for the channels they do carry and give us a super sharp and clear picture with that extra room they will have?
:lol: :hurah: Actually, count on them squeezing in even more channels on their already taxed bandwidth. This will result in less quality, more pixelation, less than HD quality, etc. BUT ... we will have access to even MORE cutting edge programming such as another 23 home shopping networks!! Yippee!

·
Hall Of Fame
13,447 Posts
jayvista said:
DirecTV needs to first make their HD DVR actually work before they should be advertising such grossly misleading features.
The two things you put together in that statement aren't even related. Do you think the PR people are even remotely responsible for the HR20? Are they just supposed to sit around doing nothing while the HR20 dev team works? That's moronic.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,670 Posts
jayvista said:
:lol: :hurah: Actually, count on them squeezing in even more channels on their already taxed bandwidth. This will result in less quality, more pixelation, less than HD quality, etc. BUT ... we will have access to even MORE cutting edge programming such as another 23 home shopping networks!! Yippee!
Imagine more shopping networks in HD, I can't wait!:D

·
Icon
530 Posts
gr8reb8 said:
Notice it says "will have the capacity". Marketing loves to do this.
But they also say the "capacity " is three times more than cable...

if they are gonna count 150 locals than i suspect that all the cable syystems combined carry a lot more than 50 HD locals....

so it's misleading either way you interpret it.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
mikewolf13 said:
if they are gonna count 150 locals than i suspect that all the cable syystems combined carry a lot more than 50 HD locals....

so it's misleading either way you interpret it.
???

They are competing against cable in all markets, but not all cable providers are available in all markets. In fact, most towns are tied down to a single cable operator; so they are saying they will have 3x the HD capacity compared to a single cable operator, not all. I'm just trying to make sense of your statement.

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
i suspect that all the cable syystems combined carry a lot more than 50 HD locals....
That's a silly statement. In my area I have ONE cable company, plus DirecTV and Dish. How many cable companies operate in your neighborhood?

·
AllStar
88 Posts
jayvista said:
"Dir nes to fst make their HD DVR actu work be they uld be adve such gry mislea fea. I cannot ve they are getting away with ing sh gae products (HR20) th do not reliably ord and dis HD cot."

Ooops .... the above paragraph is like what I listened to after the latest "patch" for the HR20. Now I have audio drop-outs every 30 seconds (in addition to the lip-sync issues that have plagued this box since day 1). Thanks for the "upgrade" DirecTV!!!

Below is the actual paragraph without the "audio drop-outs"

DirecTV needs to first make their HD DVR actually work before they should be advertising such grossly misleading features. I cannot believe they are getting away with releasing such garbage products (HR20) that do not reliably record and display HD content.
Dude, this is classic.....totally hilarious.

·
Icon
530 Posts
PoitNarf said:
???

They are competing against cable in all markets, but not all cable providers are available in all markets. In fact, most towns are tied down to a single cable operator; so they are saying they will have 3x the HD capacity compared to a single cable operator, not all. I'm just trying to make sense of your statement.
Sorry i have never been good with sentence structure.

If DTV is comparing their capacity to "your" local cable company, then it is completely misleading for them to use the 150 local channels as proof of having triple the capacity as "your" cable company. Since you can't get all those locals - you just get yours.

If they want to comapre their capacity in all the channels then can deliver to all the markets, then you would compare that number to all cable systems combined.

My point was, If they want to advertise being able to offer 150 HD channels as an enterprise. Then I suspect Comcast or TW (or probably other cablecos) could claim that they offer 100's as well...... and the 3-1 comparison would be completely inaccurate.

If I still am unclear...it would be misleading for Ford to advertise in my newspaper that they sell more 1000x more trucks than Chevy. Even if Ford nationally sold 1000x more trucks then Chevy sold in just my town

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.