DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We now know whose technology DirecTV adopted to make the SWM possible, but I noticed something interesting while I was reading the article.

Entropic's core CSS technology supports up to 12 tuners and enables the simultaneous reception of multiple channels from multiple satellites over a single wire.
So the question is, will we be seeing a SWM12 in the future?

DirecTV adopts Entropic CSS technology for HD satellite dish installations
http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock%20News/1802220

· Registered
2,913 Posts
say-what said:
The 12 tuner note is interesting
Hmmmm, I'm confused :confused:. From what I understood, this is not the same company that developed the 5 and 8 channel SWM that we currently use.

Did they change names?

· Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
Draconis said:
We now know whose technology DirecTV adopted to make the SWM possible, but I noticed something interesting while I was reading the article.

So the question is, will we be seeing a SWM12 in the future?

DirecTV adopts Entropic CSS technology for HD satellite dish installations
http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock News/1802220
Hm. will this push MRV further along?

· Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
merchione said:
you just got it in:) ....I thought I saw something about 1 card for 4 boxes?
I don't remember seeing that, Hmmm...

There would have to be some sort of network connectivity between the receivers over the SWM for that to happen. I think I remember something about network connectivity related to the SWM but I cannot precisely remember what it was.

Another interesting find on Entropic's homepage.

http://www.entropic.com/products/dbs.htm

It's cool that they let you see the guts of the units.

--- edit ---
Sixto said:
Some good stuff on the Entropic web-site ... maybe some more goodies in the future .... http://www.entropic.com/ ... cool stuff ...
Beat me to it.

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
Folks, nothing is impossible, but the current SWM8 is as big as it's going to get for a while.

11,606 Posts
"Entropic's c.LINK home networking technology is a full-mesh, peer-to-peer network. It overcomes the inherent limitations of home coax cabling and enables high-speed "horizontal" communications between the outlets in cable home, providing room-to-room connectivity."

dreaming ...

11,606 Posts
"Entropic's c.LINK home networking technology has been selected as the basis for the MoCA standard for home networking over coax after a selection process that involved an extensive and successful field trial conducted by MoCA. The field trial demonstrated that our home networking technology repeatedly achieved a very reliable net throughput in excess of 110 Mbps at acceptable packet error rate levels to support in-home video distribution at quality levels suitable for server provider-based pay-TV deployments. This net throughput allows for the simultaneous delivery of four full-rate HDTV channels and other services, such as voice and data."

more dreaming ...

· Registered
8,035 Posts
Sixto said:
Yep, remember that very well. I'm still thinking there was some truth to that ... :)
And quite possibly a bit more light shines onto "why" no diplexing. :)

· Registered
5,530 Posts
Stuart Sweet said:
Folks, nothing is impossible, but the current SWM8 is as big as it's going to get for a while.
There must have been an SWM11 on the initial plans, I made a note this was the SWM frequency allocation:
Channel # - Frequency in MHz
1 - 974
2 - 1076
3 - 1178
4 - 1280
5 - 1382
6 - 1484
7 - 1586
8 - 1688
9 - 1790
10 -1893
11 -1995
12 - 2097

SWM11, as posted, would need 11 channels for tuners plus one for the guide data.
But DirecTV obviously decided not to move ahead with the SWM11.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.