DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Cool Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, this is not a question regarding the Caller ID function on the receiver but a question as to why DirecTV doesn't use their own name when they call to confirm an appointment? I've been having "searching for signal" issues so I called on Sunday and made an appointment for Wednesday. Just a few hours ago, I get a call from "800 Services" or some such. Luckily I was home at the time and I actually picked up the phone and listened since I usually just hang up or let it ring if it's from an unknown caller - it turned out to be the automated message requiring me to acknowledge the appointment for Wednesday.

Now I understand what happened back in January when they didn't show up for the install of the HR21s in the first place - they stated that they called and I didn't confirm the appointment. If DirecTV would only used their own name in the Caller ID, I wouldn't have to guess as to who is calling - sounds simple.

Dan

· Hall Of Fame
4,787 Posts
Hemi said:
No, this is not a question regarding the Caller ID function on the receiver but a question as to why DirecTV doesn't use their own name when they call to confirm an appointment? I've been having "searching for signal" issues so I called on Sunday and made an appointment for Wednesday. Just a few hours ago, I get a call from "800 Services" or some such. Luckily I was home at the time and I actually picked up the phone and listened since I usually just hang up or let it ring if it's from an unknown caller - it turned out to be the automated message requiring me to acknowledge the appointment for Wednesday.

Now I understand what happened back in January when they didn't show up for the install of the HR21s in the first place - they stated that they called and I didn't confirm the appointment. If DirecTV would only used their own name in the Caller ID, I wouldn't have to guess as to who is calling - sounds simple.

Dan
Well chances are very good that the company that calls to confirm your appointment is not DirecTV,but an installation company or answering service.;)

· Hall Of Fame
6,724 Posts
You don't get the identifed themselves as "DirecTV" if you don't answer.:) Having the caller ID identify that fact would allow you to call back. Many times these calls don't even leave a message on the answering machine.

· Hall Of Fame
6,417 Posts
I have my caller ID set up so if a call does not contain a name and number in the ID it gets sent to the "Privacy Director" (AT&T) and the caller than can choose to leave a message or call back with their identity disclosed. I like that set up.

· Hall Of Fame
4,787 Posts
davring said:
I have my caller ID set up so if a call does not contain a name and number in the ID it gets sent to the "Privacy Director" (AT&T) and the caller than can choose to leave a message or call back with their identity disclosed. I like that set up.
This right here is great advice for those that don't want to be bothered.;)

On a personal note I answer all calls.See I have to know how to fill out the complaint form on the National Do Not Call website.Wouldn't want to turn in someone I do business with and it's kinda comical to see some calls come in with switched numbers after you report them.I do know once reported them calls stop PDQ.:D ;)

1,481 Posts
davring said:
Good idea, but will it work with an automated call?

· Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
raoul5788 said:
davring said:
Good idea, but will it work with an automated call?
No, Privacy Director does not work well with automated calls. It ends up being an automated answerer "talking" to an automated caller and most of the time, it cuts-off 80% of what the message. In this case, however, Privacy Director would not have been involved because the call came with a valid number and name on CID, it's just that it wasn't "DirecTV". Privacy Director only intervenes when there is no name or number displayed at all. After AT&T jacked to price up to $7/mo, I dropped it. I have my number on the national DNC list and if someone does get through and try to sell me something, I waste their time or act rude to them. Ironically, I get almost no sales calls these days.

· Legend
222 Posts
trekologer said:
Caller ID is so easy to spoof that it is not at all a secure way to identify the caller.
Which is why I never answer calls that come up as unkown, Private, Toll Free call, etc.

If they can't tell me who is calling and what number (not 000-000-0000 like I've seen before) they're calling from....I don't answer. My answering machine message relays that as well.

7 Posts
diggerg56 said:
Which is why I never answer calls that come up as unkown, Private, Toll Free call, etc.

If they can't tell me who is calling and what number (not 000-000-0000 like I've seen before) they're calling from....I don't answer. My answering machine message relays that as well.
Lately I have been getting calls that show up as "Free HBO for 6 Mon/800-000-000 or "Urgent Call" and a Toll Free Number or Please call ASAP with an 212 area code number. Best thing to do is to ignore these calls and hopefully they will give up

· Dad
5,798 Posts
Hemi said:

Dan
I work for a different company and we tried like heck to get our Caller ID to display the name and number. As I learned, depending on how the outgoing calls are placed, determines whether or not the caller id info gets passed from telco switch to telco switch across the country.

For example, if I placed the call from a dedicated single line office phone, the CID displayed. But if it was from a call center where there were 800 lines coming in, the outgoing CID info got dropped about 75% of the time when the calls crossed state lines.

I'm not a telco expert but Directv may not be purposely blocking them. In my company's case we couldn't get AT&T to correct it unless we moved to more expensive single lines for all outbound calls. And thats VERY expensive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.