DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Godfather
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my XM music stations that come with DirecTV, but I find myself wondering if there will ever be a way to pay $5 more a month and be able to have these in the car?

You could in theory buy a mobile DirecTV antenna and receiver in your car, but that's not really realisitic unless you're on pimp my ride. But wouldn't that be a nice option to help give them some differentiation from the telco/cable bundles they are competing with?

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Interesting idea, but I doubt it will ever come to fruition. I have no problem paying full price for satellite radio just due to the fact that I don't have to listen to any commercials on the music stations.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,026 Posts
premio said:
I love my XM music stations that come with DirecTV, but I find myself wondering if there will ever be a way to pay $5 more a month and be able to have these in the car?

You could in theory buy a mobile DirecTV antenna and receiver in your car, but that's not really realisitic unless you're on pimp my ride. But wouldn't that be a nice option to help give them some differentiation from the telco/cable bundles they are competing with?
IMO I think it would be easier and better just to go to a retailer and buy an xm receiver for your car and pay $12.95 a month to have all of the 170+ stations XM has.

·
Mentor
40 Posts
Has a deep discount XM subscription plan been discussed/offered for DirecTV customers? Thought the DirecTV bundling was to grow subscribers. Has there been an increase of subscibers since replacing Music Choice?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,026 Posts
EmployeeoftheMonth said:
Has a deep discount XM subscription plan been discussed/offered for DirecTV customers? Thought the DirecTV bundling was to grow subscribers. Has there been an increase of subscibers since replacing Music Choice?
I think XM offered an discount on an XM Radio when XM first replaced Music choice on Directv.

·
Legend
149 Posts
Last year at christmas XM offered 1 year for $69 ( I could be off a few dollars either way) but you had to do some talking with a csr to get the deal. humm, xm and directv must use the same csr's

·
Godfather
260 Posts
I have Sirius (2 subs) and can't stand listening to terretrial radio anymore. The radio that I grew up with doesn't exist in this packaged and nationally produced corporate radio age with all of its commercials and annoying on-air (lack of) personalities. Once you go sat radio (either service) you will find it hard to go back to "free" radio. Free radio isn't worth what you pay for it.

·
Legend
212 Posts
Amen Bluedog. I freaking LOVE SIRIUS. I nearly switched to Dish simply for it. XM is "okay" but Sirius just seems to play so much better music for each genre. And for little kids, XM's kids channel is HORRID compared to kidstuff on Sirius. Not to mention the NFL. Friends of mine that have XM, admit they like Sirius' music better, but are with XM for baseball.
But in regards to the thread starters idea, I think that would be pretty cool, but doubtfull. because to them they are giving us XM "free" at home, so why offer up a discount for the car service.

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
If you enjoy what you get on DirecTV, the easiest thing would be to just get a receiver for the car. Roady XTs are $50 at WalMart and easy enough to install on your own. I echo Bluedogok's post word for word, except I have two subscriptions to each XM and Sirius. And you won't find it hard to go back to dinosaur radio, because you never will, you won't even consider it. I loathe 'local' radio. Nine stations of stupid DJs, shallow playlists and commercials or 137 stations of commercial free, uncut music from a wide variety of genres and sub genres. I'll gladly pay my $39.88/month for radio then take the crap for free.

Has there been an increase of subscibers since replacing Music Choice?
Of course there has been an increase in the number of DirecTV subscribers in the past year, but I really doubt the presence of XM hand much to do with that. While not a major issue, the loss of Music Choice on DirecTV, was something I could put in the 'Plus Column' for cable. I was really disappointed that XM replaced Music Choice. I mean I already have an XM home receiver at home, why would I want the same stuff from my TV provider? It's all about variety and I'm glad to have access to three different digital audio services. If it wasn't so expensive to get started I'd have DMX and if it wasn't geographically impossible I'd have WorldSpace. As long as it's not dinosaur radio, I'll gladly listen.

·
Legend
207 Posts
premio said:

try this link:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.php?start=0&catid=18&threadid=398193

·
Hall Of Fame
1,528 Posts
I would NEVER pay a penny for anything on radio. Not where there are tons of local stations and in the car I can play a tape or CD I made and listen to 100% of the songs I want commercial free for free.

When at home or the office, I can get a couple hundred or maybe thousand Internet stations from all over the country for free.

I listened to Howard then he went to Sirius, not paying, I listened to Opie & Anthony then they went to XM, not paying. Now I listen to Preston & Steven or Freebeer & Hotwings on the morning drive when I want talk instead of music.

·
Hall Of Fame
12,971 Posts
Bobman said:
I would NEVER pay a penny for anything on radio. Not where there are tons of local stations and in the car I can play a tape or CD I made and listen to 100% of the songs I want commercial free for free.

When at home or the office, I can get a couple hundred or maybe thousand Internet stations from all over the country for free.

I listened to Howard then he went to Sirius, not paying, I listened to Opie & Anthony then they went to XM, not paying. Now I listen to Preston & Steven or Freebeer & Hotwings on the morning drive when I want talk instead of music.
Almost everything you said can be said about TV. Do you pay for TV? I bet a whole lot more.

·
Icon
761 Posts
We love our XM, mainly the Old Time Radio shows and the other talk and comedy stuff. Love it on long trips. Never listen to it on DTV though.

·
Godfather
346 Posts
I missed Music Choice when DirecTV replaced it with XM. I found the XM DJ's almost as annoying as commercials. It would of been better if DirecTV had just added XM and kept Music Choice too, but I guess they didn't have the bandwidth.

One of the fringe benefits of switching to FiOS was getting Music Choice back. FiOS carries all 47 residential channels too. I think DirecTV only carried about 36.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,528 Posts
tonyd79 said:
Almost everything you said can be said about TV.
I choose to pay for TV as I see its value but I would NOT for radio.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
"We love our XM, mainly the Old Time Radio shows and the other talk and comedy stuff. Love it on long trips. Never listen to it on DTV though."

Glad to find another listener of channel 164! I listen to it all the time in the car. Unfortunately, it is one of the channels not carried on D*.

I thought about signing up for Sirius, also, but it appears they have dropped their classic radio channel.

I wouldn't pay for just music channels myself, as we get lots of better-sounding music on FM around here, and I don't have that crippling commercial phobia some folks do.

·
Godfather
537 Posts
jpurkey said:
I missed Music Choice when DirecTV replaced it with XM. I found the XM DJ's almost as annoying as commercials. It would of been better if DirecTV had just added XM and kept Music Choice too, but I guess they didn't have the bandwidth.

One of the fringe benefits of switching to FiOS was getting Music Choice back. FiOS carries all 47 residential channels too. I think DirecTV only carried about 36.
I totally agree! Being in my 50s, one of my favorite channels on Music Choice was the 60s. On XM, I can not listen to the 60s channel because of Motormouth. It seems that on the other music channels I'v listened to, they basically just play music. But not on the 60s channel. You've got DJs screaming at you between songs, talking over the beginning of songs, worthless crap like ball games being played that day, etc. I've sent many emails to XM and DTV telling them what I think. :mad:

·
Icon
680 Posts
I believe Sirius is offering free access to their internet streaming on 10/25 and 10/26 for anyone who wants to see what they offer.

I've had service for about 4 months, with the variety on there I hardly ever find myself listening to local stations or CD's anymore in the car.

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
Being in my 50s, one of my favorite channels on Music Choice was the 60s. On XM, I can not listen to the 60s channel because of Motormouth.
Music Choice does not have a 60s channel, Solid Gold Oldies is a general Oldies channel playing hits from ~1955-~1975. What XM does with the 60s channel is intentional and I love it! They try their best to recreate the typical radio station from back then. XM and Sirius are radio providers, not digital jukebox services.

:lol: People still think like this? With your way of thinking I'm not surprised you sill listen to audio tapes. All of these 'local' radio stations that play the same songs over and over and over, the commercials, the censorship. Enjoy you dinosaur radio, at least I don't have car dealers yelling at me through the radio. And hey at least I can enjoy The Who's Who Are You without pauses because XM and Sirius feel I can handle the words and the FCC thinks I can't. I haven't listened to garbage radio in 2 years now.

Free = Not Good Enough To Pay For
Radio, Some Things You Should Pay For

XM Rocks! Sirius Rocks! Music Choice Rocks! the iPod Rocks! Terrestrial Radio Sucks!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.