DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back the mobile apps for DirecTV & DirecTV Stream were merged into one.

Just noticed on my Apple TV they updated the app there and satellite customers can now use the DirecTV app on Apple TV. I entered my mother's D* satellite credentials and it worked. Roku is still for DirecTV Stream customers only. Not sure about Android/Google TV and Fire TV.

• Helpful
Reactions: b4pjoe

·
Premium Member
3,744 Posts
WOW! That is pretty sweet. Same UI as DirecTV Stream and you can watch some stuff that is on your DVR but there is some recordings you can't watch through the app such Gold Rush, Ghosts, and Young Sheldon. And there are somne sat channels you can't watch in this app just like in iOS app on my phone. You can also set stuff to record to your DVR's. It shows all 5 on my DVR's.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
A while back the mobile apps for DirecTV & DirecTV Stream were merged into one.

Just noticed on my Apple TV they updated the app there and satellite customers can now use the DirecTV app on Apple TV. I entered my mother's D* satellite credentials and it worked. Roku is still for DirecTV Stream customers only. Not sure about Android/Google TV and Fire TV.
Isn't that just for Airplay only? I think it would be cool if they had the DTV Stream APP be able to replace the Genie Mini's.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Can confirm it works on my Apple TV without AirPlay. I wonder if this is the start of DTV letting you use the Stream APP as a client. Maybe Google TV, FireTV and Roku's are next. However, I wonder why DTV would want to loose the revenue from the monthly fees? Maybe this is a one time glitch? :)

I think I would prefer the DTV Stream box with channel numbers. You can't do up and down channels with the Apple TV remote.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
As far as I know the DirecTV Stream box can only be used for DirecTV Stream.
Sorry, should have said if we ever wanted to switch to DTV Stream, I think I would prefer the DTV Stream box. There are extra steps to go through changing channels on the Apple TV 4k box. Unless it just takes getting used to on the Apple TV 4k box.

I just wonder if we will see an extra $7 a month on the bill using the Apple TV 4k box?

·
Premium Member
3,744 Posts
I just wonder if we will see an extra $7 a month on the bill using the Apple TV 4k box?
I would be surprised if they would try that without telling you before you use it that there would be a charge for it. Their phones would light up pretty quickly. Plus you don’t get all of the channels you pay for on satellite.

·
Icon
3,591 Posts
on fire stick, only seeing stream app . hopefully something in the future. And This is also a move other TV providers are doing like FIOS and Altice ... talking about the apple TV as a STB

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,893 Posts
As far as I know the DirecTV Stream box can only be used for DirecTV Stream.
DIRECTV claims that the DIRECTV STREAM Device has access to "thousands" of apps on the Google Play Store. They show logos for HBO Max, Prime Video, Netflix, Tubi and others.

It would be a slap in the face to deny access to the many other services available in the store (especially the free ones like Pluto or The Roku Channel, Xumo and others that offer authentication through DIRECTV).

If the STREAM Device only functions when authenticated for DIRECTV STREAM, that's a whole new level of something.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,893 Posts
On the Google Play store's site, it says Stream Supreme, but it doesn't say that on my TV.
Not all Android apps appear on Android TV. The dual-purpose DIRECTV app may not be available generally on Android TV yet.

·
Premium Member
3,744 Posts
DIRECTV claims that the DIRECTV STREAM Device has access to "thousands" of apps on the Google Play Store. They show logos for HBO Max, Prime Video, Netflix, Tubi and others.

It would be a slap in the face to deny access to the many other services available in the store (especially the free ones like Pluto or The Roku Channel, Xumo and others that offer authentication through DIRECTV).

If the STREAM Device only functions when authenticated for DIRECTV STREAM, that's a whole new level of something.
No what I meant was the DirecTV Stream box can only be used for DirecTV Stream and not DirecTV Satellite. Of course it can download and use other apps from the play store.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,893 Posts
No I what I meant was the DirecTV Stream box can only be used DirecTV Stream and not DirecTV Satellite. Of course it can download and use other apps from the play store.
That's a very important clarification.

1 - 20 of 159 Posts