DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,559 Posts
As far as I know the DirecTV Stream box can only be used for DirecTV Stream.
DIRECTV claims that the DIRECTV STREAM Device has access to "thousands" of apps on the Google Play Store. They show logos for HBO Max, Prime Video, Netflix, Tubi and others.

It would be a slap in the face to deny access to the many other services available in the store (especially the free ones like Pluto or The Roku Channel, Xumo and others that offer authentication through DIRECTV).

If the STREAM Device only functions when authenticated for DIRECTV STREAM, that's a whole new level of something.

26,559 Posts
On the Google Play store's site, it says Stream Supreme, but it doesn't say that on my TV.
Not all Android apps appear on Android TV. The dual-purpose DIRECTV app may not be available generally on Android TV yet.

26,559 Posts
No I what I meant was the DirecTV Stream box can only be used DirecTV Stream and not DirecTV Satellite. Of course it can download and use other apps from the play store.
That's a very important clarification.

26,559 Posts
There was no old DirecTV app for the Apple TV. The only DirecTV app on the Apple TV was for Stream only which is the one that has now been updated to include satellite.
I wasn't aware that the tvOS devices were snubbed. Looking back in the archives, they did specifically say "mobile apps".

26,559 Posts
According to Stuart other platforms are coming soon.
It seems odd to me that they started with the platform that was the most different from all the rest and work their way backward towards the Linux-based platforms which have a much larger market penetration (perhaps greater than eight times the number of units?).

26,559 Posts
Sure it does. You put it on the best quality streaming box.
If only 10% of the population has that streaming box, most of your customers aren't going to be able to take advantage. For them, it is as if the app didn't exist.

26,559 Posts
My daughter has Directv Stream and her recordings are available remotely . Verizon FIOS app allows remote access to your recordings .
Some of the earlier DIRECTV DBS apps allowed streaming from your DVR but the new universal app does not. The DIRECTV website claims that you can access your DVR's My Library remotely using the DIRECTV App:
Font Screenshot Number Parallel Document
If
If you look at the text description associated with the link below, the feature list shows 50,000 movies and shows and the DVR playlist mention isn't there I'm not sure where this is coming from but the screen grab above is what I'm seeing.

DIRECTV DBS has not been keeping up with the Joneses in this regard but they've tried once or twice.

26,559 Posts
Does not matter what the DIRECTV website says. It is the way it is.
I don't dispute that DIRECTV is sloppy with their website maintenance. It has long been a problem and has a negative impact on customer satisfaction and the perception of DIRECTV as a premium service.

If, as some have claimed, the new app will be updated to include DBS DVR playlists, this will be important once again.

26,559 Posts
They want my HR24 back it seems. I thought they didn't want them back anymore.
I expect that you're experience is not unique. There are many that have built their DVR model on the flexibility that the HR24 offers versus adding clients to a Genie.

DIRECTV is having to get comfortable recycling equipment that used to be considered too old as that's all they have left.

26,559 Posts
Interestingly, when I called DirecTV to return 2 Genie minis because I can use the app now, they just told me to recycle them and they don't want them back.
It would be useful if you could share what the model numbers of your Minis are.

26,559 Posts
I'm surprised that they didn't want it back. Maybe that make wasn't all that reliable. I would think that there isn't a whole lot in the Mini proper (excluding the power brick) that can go wrong unless you install it in an home entertainment oven.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts