DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
1,832 Posts
A while back the mobile apps for DirecTV & DirecTV Stream were merged into one.

Just noticed on my Apple TV they updated the app there and satellite customers can now use the DirecTV app on Apple TV. I entered my mother's D* satellite credentials and it worked. Roku is still for DirecTV Stream customers only. Not sure about Android/Google TV and Fire TV.
Isn't that just for Airplay only? I think it would be cool if they had the DTV Stream APP be able to replace the Genie Mini's.

· Registered
1,832 Posts
Can confirm it works on my Apple TV without AirPlay. I wonder if this is the start of DTV letting you use the Stream APP as a client. Maybe Google TV, FireTV and Roku's are next. However, I wonder why DTV would want to loose the revenue from the monthly fees? Maybe this is a one time glitch? :)

I think I would prefer the DTV Stream box with channel numbers. You can't do up and down channels with the Apple TV remote.

· Registered
1,832 Posts
As far as I know the DirecTV Stream box can only be used for DirecTV Stream.
Sorry, should have said if we ever wanted to switch to DTV Stream, I think I would prefer the DTV Stream box. There are extra steps to go through changing channels on the Apple TV 4k box. Unless it just takes getting used to on the Apple TV 4k box.

I just wonder if we will see an extra $7 a month on the bill using the Apple TV 4k box?

· Registered
1,832 Posts
I had not tried the HR24’s but I now see that it sees them but can’t see the content or record to them. And I also see the same with watching recordings that they are OnDemand and you can’t FF through the commercials. Not sure why they made it this way.
Thanks. I didn't even notice the record option I thought it was just info on the show. Kind of afraid to play around with recordings. I turned on the HR-54 it went dark. When I turned it off and on again it came back. I wonder when they will add the rest of the DTV channels and if they would even add the DTV Stream channels like H&I? Not sure if I like the extra steps to get back to a previous channel.

· Registered
1,832 Posts
Yep. And they're not even specifically advertising Stream vs. Satellite any more. They use the DIRECTV brand to refer to both, which is why their app for Apple TV is now just named DIRECTV and can be logged into and used by both Stream and Satellite customers (with the main difference being that Stream customers get cloud DVR while Satellite customers do not, they can only see which shows they've recorded on their Genie DVRs and then choose to stream the VOD version of the show, if available).
At Directv.com it still says DTV and DTV Stream. Same with the Google TV and Fire OS apps. I wonder when they will officially drop the Stream part from DTV?

· Registered
1,832 Posts
It only has the 80 channels that are being used for DTV bad weather backup. They said additional networks are coming later this year. So, I guess those will get added to the Apple TV APP? They said they are in 720p for bad weather backup, so I guess they are all in 720p on the Apple TV APP? Unless the DTV APP on the Apple TV 4k box doesn't use the channels from DTV's signal saver?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts