DBSTalk Forum banner
41 - 60 of 165 Posts

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,556 Posts
There was no old DirecTV app for the Apple TV. The only DirecTV app on the Apple TV was for Stream only which is the one that has now been updated to include satellite.
I wasn't aware that the tvOS devices were snubbed. Looking back in the archives, they did specifically say "mobile apps".

· Registered
2,346 Posts
Satellite, Stream, and U-Verse are all under the DIRECTV umbrella. AT&T owns 70% and TPG owns 30%.
Yep. And they're not even specifically advertising Stream vs. Satellite any more. They use the DIRECTV brand to refer to both, which is why their app for Apple TV is now just named DIRECTV and can be logged into and used by both Stream and Satellite customers (with the main difference being that Stream customers get cloud DVR while Satellite customers do not, they can only see which shows they've recorded on their Genie DVRs and then choose to stream the VOD version of the show, if available).

· Registered
1,832 Posts
Yep. And they're not even specifically advertising Stream vs. Satellite any more. They use the DIRECTV brand to refer to both, which is why their app for Apple TV is now just named DIRECTV and can be logged into and used by both Stream and Satellite customers (with the main difference being that Stream customers get cloud DVR while Satellite customers do not, they can only see which shows they've recorded on their Genie DVRs and then choose to stream the VOD version of the show, if available).
At Directv.com it still says DTV and DTV Stream. Same with the Google TV and Fire OS apps. I wonder when they will officially drop the Stream part from DTV?

· Administrator
572 Posts
I tried on a Fire stick and it wants stream credentials. I'm not sure why Apple got lucky.

26,556 Posts
According to Stuart other platforms are coming soon.
It seems odd to me that they started with the platform that was the most different from all the rest and work their way backward towards the Linux-based platforms which have a much larger market penetration (perhaps greater than eight times the number of units?).

· Premium Member
4,121 Posts
It seems odd to me that they started with the platform that was the most different from all the rest and work their way backward towards the Linux-based platforms which have a much larger market penetration (perhaps greater than eight times the number of units?).
Quality over quantity.

26,556 Posts
Sure it does. You put it on the best quality streaming box.
If only 10% of the population has that streaming box, most of your customers aren't going to be able to take advantage. For them, it is as if the app didn't exist.

41 - 60 of 165 Posts