DBSTalk Forum banner

DirecTV Box ownership question.

1732 Views 19 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  IcedOmega13
Can somebody please shed some light?

Okay so my DirecTV box is property of DirecTV, and I am leasing it, is this even the correct presumption?

If the box is their property, why do I have to pay for it? I am already paying for a lease and subscription monthly.

When my contract expires and I want to move to some other company, do I need to give the box back even if I paid for it? Will my money (that I paid out of pocket for the box) be refunded? Or do I get to keep the box since I paid for it?
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
It's a lease with an upfront fee. Yes, you have to give it back if you decide to stop service.

You are free to patronize other companies if you don't like the setup.
In all liklihood, you paid a portion of the cost of the box in order to aquire/install the receiver. I know people hate the car lease comparison, but think of it as the 'cash due at signing'.

The 'lease fee' is not a payment on the receiver each month, but rather a charge to have programming mirrored to that receiver. You would pay the same fee if your box was owned, but it would just be named something different on your bill.

When your contract expires if you choose to move to another company, DirecTV will want the box returned to them.
How many time has this question been asked?

How many people sign their contracts without understanding what they are agreeing to?
boba said:
How many time has this question been asked?

How many people sign their contracts without understanding what they are agreeing to?
Exactly.
Always read it before you sign it. If nothing else, read the copy of it they sent with your first bill.

When you tell DirecTV to go to hell, you get a fed-ex box to ship the receivers back in. You pay a lease fee because the tv's are hooked up and working inside your house.
They also call the mirroring fee after the first receiver a lease fee.
rcpax said:
Can somebody please shed some light?

Okay so my DirecTV box is property of DirecTV, and I am leasing it, is this even the correct presumption?

If the box is their property, why do I have to pay for it? I am already paying for a lease and subscription monthly.

When my contract expires and I want to move to some other company, do I need to give the box back even if I paid for it? Will my money (that I paid out of pocket for the box) be refunded? Or do I get to keep the box since I paid for it?
This can be corrected by calling D* and telling them you no longer want to pay the "lease fee" and give your A/C# and then the ird will disconnected a return kit sent out for it
OK I have a similar but different kind of questions:

I have 2 receivers from D* that are leased. One SD-DVR and one HD non-DVR. We have recently purchased a HD-DVR from Best Buy and 'retired' the HD-non-DVR. When our contract expires we plan on deleting the HD non DVR receiver from the bill so we are not charged an early out fee.

My questions are:

1. Will they take back only the HD non-DVR if that's the receiver I no longer want?
2. Is the receiver I bought from Best Buy covered under my maintenance protection plan (or what ever it's called...Service plan?) also? What about my AM21 I purchased in a separate deal from D* a couple of weeks ago...is it grandfathered in under my service plan? Or are only the 2 original receivers covered?
boba said:
How many time has this question been asked?

How many people sign their contracts without understanding what they are agreeing to?
We all know nobody reads the contracts and not because they're lazy. You need a lawyer to read them for you and put it in plain English. Granted I don't have one sitting in front of me, but I'm sure there's language in it confusing to most people.
MudMover said:
OK I have a similar but different kind of questions:

I have 2 receivers from D* that are leased. One SD-DVR and one HD non-DVR. We have recently purchased a HD-DVR from Best Buy and 'retired' the HD-non-DVR. When our contract expires we plan on deleting the HD non DVR receiver from the bill so we are not charged an early out fee.

My questions are:

1. Will they take back only the HD non-DVR if that's the receiver I no longer want?
2. Is the receiver I bought from Best Buy covered under my maintenance protection plan (or what ever it's called...Service plan?) also? What about my AM21 I purchased in a separate deal from D* a couple of weeks ago...is it grandfathered in under my service plan? Or are only the 2 original receivers covered?
2. it is covered, but if you bought this from retail, you just added a 2yr programm commitment to the acct

1. only if was a leased ird, once disc you will get a return kit
I believe that you can deactivate the non-HD DVR right now and have them pick it up, without incurring any penalties... but I'm not positive on that, as I've never tried it. I don't think you have to have the receiver active for 2 years, simply the account with a minimum level of programming.

As to the HD-DVR. First off, you didn't actually "buy" it, but rather leased it the same as you would have if you 'bought' it from DirecTV. The receivers are covered by DirecTV because they're leased - without the protection plan, you'd likely have to pay for a service call to have the receiver checked out, and you'd pay for shipping. With the protection plan, you don't have to pay either of those. The protection plan also covers the "other" things on the account. Dish, wiring, etc, etc. I think that covers the AM21 as well, but I admit I haven't read the 'fine print' on the protection plan.

I'm sure someone will chime in on the things I'm not sure of...
See less See more
You can upgrade the box any time you want-but it did add 2 years to your commitment.
william8004 said:
We all know nobody reads the contracts and not because they're lazy. You need a lawyer to read them for you and put it in plain English. Granted I don't have one sitting in front of me, but I'm sure there's language in it confusing to most people.
What a cop out.

DirecTV Customer Agreement
Lease Addendum

Excerpt from Lease Addendum said:
MONTHLY LEASE FEE. For a new DIRECTV customer, you will be charged a monthly lease fee in the amount of $4.99 per 2nd and each additional receiver leased by you in your household.

...

RETURN OF DIRECTV EQUIPMENT.
If you cease to be DIRECTV's customer for any reason (whether voluntarily or involuntarily) or if you decide to disconnect/cancel/terminate your DVR service or HD Access fee (if you are leasing a DVR or HD Receiver), you must call DIRECTV within seven (7) days after the termination of your DIRECTV programming services, DVR service or HD Access fee, as applicable, to (i) make arrangements for DIRECTV to pick up all your DIRECTV equipment;
Yeah, real brain busters there. :rolleyes:
MudMover said:
OK I have a similar but different kind of questions:

I have 2 receivers from D* that are leased. One SD-DVR and one HD non-DVR. We have recently purchased a HD-DVR from Best Buy and 'retired' the HD-non-DVR. When our contract expires we plan on deleting the HD non DVR receiver from the bill so we are not charged an early out fee.

My questions are:

1. Will they take back only the HD non-DVR if that's the receiver I no longer want?
2. Is the receiver I bought from Best Buy covered under my maintenance protection plan (or what ever it's called...Service plan?) also? What about my AM21 I purchased in a separate deal from D* a couple of weeks ago...is it grandfathered in under my service plan? Or are only the 2 original receivers covered?
If you are not using the non-DVR and don't plan to reinstate it, return it now and save the monthly fee for it.

The one you got from Best Buy is also leased and is covered by your protection plan (as is all Directv equipment on your account, including the dish and cables). As was stated in another post, when you activated the DVR from Best Buy, your commitment was reset to two years (not cumulative).
Jin So said:
This can be corrected by calling D* and telling them you no longer want to pay the "lease fee" and give your A/C# and then the ird will disconnected a return kit sent out for it
And if this is the only receiver on his account (or he follows the same advice for all the receivers on his account), he will also have to pay a $20 Early Termination Fee for the months remaining on his commitment (or $12.50 a month if his latest commitment started before the change in the per-month ETF charge).
tcusta00 said:
What a cop out.

DirecTV Customer Agreement
Lease Addendum

Yeah, real brain busters there. :rolleyes:
Ouch, my brain hurts, can we get back to talking about link polarization, transponder assignments, orbital slots, and bandwidth please!

:p
tcusta00 said:
What a cop out.

DirecTV Customer Agreement
Lease Addendum

Yeah, real brain busters there. :rolleyes:
So is that what the installer hands out and asks to be signed?
william8004 said:
So is that what the installer hands out and asks to be signed?
I don't know, I'm not an installer. Are you insinuating that DirecTV isn't providing customers with copies of the very contracts they're asking customers to agree to? Gimme a break man, go find another cause to stump for. :rolleyes:
I am an installer and the lease addendum you sign you should have gotten a copy of. But it does state that you do not own the equipment, and by equipment they are not referring to the ODU(dish) or cabling.
Grentz said:
Ouch, my brain hurts, can we get back to talking about link polarization, transponder assignments, orbital slots, and bandwidth please!

:p
Yes, those easier topics are welcome discussion at DBStalk--but not in this thread. :lol:

(beautiful joke and setup!)
Its funny people complain so much about the 4.99$ lease fee. One its $4.99 if you lease it, and its $4.99 additional fee if you own it. When you get the leased rcvr you payed a portion of what it costs to own it and get a 2 yr commitment. If you don't like that ask for owned equipment and bend over, because 2 yrs from now you'll probably still be a D* customer and be the proud owner of an out of date paper weight when you disconnect your service.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top