DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Mentor
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen that the latest release includes some diagnostics reporting features as explained here and here.

However I have taken no action to activate this feature or send any reports, though I do have the HR20 connected to the Internet and have activated the VOD services. But last night I received a call from DirecTV CSR who informed me that my machine had reported weaker reception levels than other subscribers in the area. They offered to help troubleshoot and make any adjustments needed if I was receiving any picture blockiness or pixelization.

I'm wondering if anyone else has been proactively contacted by DirecTV CSR based on some automated machine reports?

·
Icon
590 Posts
VideoVeteran said:
I've seen that the latest release includes some diagnostics reporting features as explained here and here.

However I have taken no action to activate this feature or send any reports, though I do have the HR20 connected to the Internet and have activated the VOD services. But last night I received a call from DirecTV CSR who informed me that my machine had reported weaker reception levels than other subscribers in the area. They offered to help troubleshoot and make any adjustments needed if I was receiving any picture blockiness or pixelization.

I'm wondering if anyone else has been proactively contacted by DirecTV CSR based on some automated machine reports?
they have called me from time to time just asking me how i am likeing everything and if i like the concerts they show on that one channel but other than that thats about it.

·
Lifetime Achiever
28,939 Posts
I believe these callbacks are related to some diagnostic information sent either via network or dialup, but not via the diagnostic reports .. Your receiver (and the CSRs) are just looking out for you proactively.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
OK, despite all my *****ing and moaning over how bad D*’s customer service can be, I have to admit that this sort of proactive response is great.

Now, let’s take it one step further…

”Yes, sir, I see your signal strength is a bit low, so we need to schedule a service call to adjust your dish and check your switches and cables. You will need to be home for us to do this. I see that your receiver is tuned to Access Hollywood each day at 6:30pm, and since that is pretty much a useless show, we assume that would be a good time, right?”

·
Hall Of Fame
1,815 Posts
I got a call about 2 months ago from a DirecTV representative saying they had received reports from my HR20 about losing signal. I told them that was probably due to 110W being week due to an oak tree getting taller, now (apparantly) to the point it is interfereing with 110. Since the leaves came out this year I have had weaker signal on 110, along with intermittantly losing certain legacy HD stations, namely ESPN, TNT, and HD Theater. I told them I had goo line of sight to 9/101/103 and I anticipated after they brought D11 on line I would no longer have a problem as I woud not need 110 anymore at that point. They guy made a note of it and that was it.

Anyway, I was impressed they called.

·
Icon
526 Posts
Yes, they did the same with me. They ended up installing a new dish, running new cables, etc. They believe the old installation wasn't done well and the dish was wobbling around on the roof when the wind blew leading to poor signal quality.

It's a good program, give or take the part where they cost me my grandfather status, double charged me for the DVR service, and cost me a bunch of $$ extra every year ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.