DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
What's more interesting is that this particular call center formerly belonged to PRC, LLC. and has been handling DirecTV calls since Feb '07.

It appears that with PRC's bankruptcy filing, that DirecTV decided to "insource" this call center.

BRAVO, DirecTV! I've always firmly believed that INsourcing leads to higher customer satisfaction and reduced customer churn.... but that's just me. :)

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
As I've posted in several threads, my experiences with this call center have been excellent. They have some of the best-trained CSRs that I've talked with.

I usually don't know where the CSRs are located, but this one is so close to me that they always remark about it.

I'm sorry for posting this repeatedly but I feel that good CSRs should be given credit.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,050 Posts
paulman182 said:
As I've posted in several threads, my experiences with this call center have been excellent. They have some of the best-trained CSRs that I've talked with.
Actually that is somewhat dissappointing. Since these were outsourced CSRs in the past, I would have hoped that they were some of the worst-trained CSRs you have dealt with. I would have hoped that DirecTV's owned & operated call centers provided better training and service than outsourced centers.

·
Hall Of Fame
6,039 Posts
At least the people in WV speak English.. or do they? ;-)

Its always fun when you call D* and you get someone in India who you can't understand one word.

·
RIP
6,198 Posts
PRC signed a number of bad business deals including one with DirecTV. They declared bankruptcy and were going to terminate the agreements and close the centers unless they were purchased. I think this is the second center from PRC that DirecTV purchased. I'm not sure if they have any more with them.

·
Icon
732 Posts
I got someone in Panama the other day. That's a first for me. I know it's not owned by DTV and I'm curious who does operate it. I assumed it was Convergys but I checked their website and they don't list anything in Panama.

·
Legend
124 Posts
You sure it was Panama? I know that the Protection Plan company, NEW has a Spanish-speaking site in the Dominican Republic.

Yes, the countries sound nothing alike, but its possible that it might have been the DR.

·
Legend
101 Posts
dmurphy said:
What's more interesting is that this particular call center formerly belonged to PRC, LLC. and has been handling DirecTV calls since Feb '07.

It appears that with PRC's bankruptcy filing, that DirecTV decided to "insource" this call center.

BRAVO, DirecTV! I've always firmly believed that INsourcing leads to higher customer satisfaction and reduced customer churn.... but that's just me. :)
I wish others felt the same way you do.

There are too many people not willing to pay for quality customer support. When I see a company pays good money to keep customer support in the US, I tend to invest my own money into buying that product. Too many people are quick to save a buck and get something cheaper.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Nightfall said:
I wish others felt the same way you do.

There are too many people not willing to pay for quality customer support. When I see a company pays good money to keep customer support in the US, I tend to invest my own money into buying that product. Too many people are quick to save a buck and get something cheaper.
I spent 8 years as a systems manager at Verizon Wireless. I was always impressed with the ability of that particular company to keep everything in the US. All of the IT department is in the US. All of the customer service folks are in the US.

As the former CIO said ... Our network is here ... our systems are here.... our employees are here... and most of all, our CUSTOMERS are here. Why would I send support overseas?

I thought at the time, that was one of the most logical statements I had ever heard. I still do.

Verizon Wireless is a great company. Sure, they have their warts like any other company, but they really believe both in themselves and in providing a quality service.

I am no longer employed there (of my own free will), but I still respect them greatly, both as a former employee and a current customer. Sure, the iPhone is neat, but I need THE NETWORK. :)

·
Legend
124 Posts
I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here for a second, which I will preface by saying the following: Outsourcing frustrates me to no end as well, and there are plenty of smaller communities in the U.S. that could use a boost to its economy such as the ones provided by D* and its contracted organizations when they build in smaller communities.

That being said: In a way, I support outsourcing because while the standard of living in most third-world and developing nations is nowhere near that of the rest of Western Civilization (thus meaning the corporations involved can save a buck or 75m), it is rather nice for a developing nation to have something in their respective countries that allows for the country to keep developing and not staying (for all practical purposes) primitive. Just think, even though we bash on India quite a bit, what about the fact that a lot of that money coming in could be or maybe even is being used to clean up the Ganges River (one of the most polluted rivers on the planet)? Outsourcing can, in many ways, benefit the planet as a whole.

What if the Sierra Leone and the rest of South Africa didn't have to rely on diamonds as a source of revenue? Would that mean senseless violence and near-slavery conditions there would cease?

These are all things to ponder, ladies and gents, the next time you hear someone go on a rant about how "Hadji is taking jobs from Uncle Sam."

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
While customer service at DirecTv (or anywhere for that matter) could be better, at least the jobs are staying stateside vs being shipped off-shore. Jobs staying in the US is always good news. !pride :flag:

·
Icon
732 Posts
MrMojoJojo said:
You sure it was Panama? I know that the Protection Plan company, NEW has a Spanish-speaking site in the Dominican Republic.

Yes, the countries sound nothing alike, but its possible that it might have been the DR.
I was surprised when they said Panama, so I asked again to make sure. I guess they could have been lying, although that seems strange.

·
Legend
124 Posts
I guess its not outside the realm of possibility. Lots of companies may have state-side operations but still have a few callcenters in Central American countries for Spanish-speaking folks.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.