Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DirecTV Could Buy Voom HD

Washington, D.C. (January 3, 2007) -- Liberty Media, which recently purchased satcaster DIRECTV, is now interested in buying Rainbow Media, which includes 15 Voom High-Definition TV channels.

Read the rest of the story from: TVPredictions

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More accurately, it appears that Liberty, DirecTV soon to be parent company... is considering purchasing Rainbow Media...

Which could in turn lead to Voom HD content being available on DirecTV.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HDTVsportsfan said:
Well...isn't that interesting. I've never seen any of the Voom channels. But from comments I've read they're not so great. Is this a good thing just from a "more HD channels" standpoint????
IMHO... it would be just that... just some more HD channels to throw around, but not a replacement for "network" HD versions, like National Geographic and others.

HDTVsportsfan said:
Will D* subs need any other equipment to be able to receive these channels if it works out that way?
I would highly doubt it... as DirecTV has spent a lot of time an money getting the 5LNB dish out there.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
7thton said:
Would DISH lose the VOOM channels?
I doubt it, since they do have a contract with them...

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
I suppose the Voom channels could be uplinked to D* sats just as easily as E*.

This is good news for me, as a movie fan! Can't ever get enough movies.

Thanks for the info, Earl.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
paulman182 said:
Thanks for the info, Earl.
The info didn't come from me... it came from Philip Swan at TVPredictions... I just did my daily google search to see what articles where out there.

·
Registered
16,659 Posts
HDTVsportsfan said:
Well, I don't know a terrible amount about this part of DBS. I just thought I've read over the past that D* and E* share one or more of the same satellites or E* rents some transponders...something like that.
D* and E* don't share satellites, each has their own fleet. They do have two orbital locations, 110 and 119, in common but that's it.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
7thton said:
Would DISH lose the VOOM channels?
I doubt it since, as has been mentioned, E* has a contract with them. I don't see it as any different from both E* and D* carrying ESPNHD, for example. They just wind up beamed from two different satellite arrays - DirecTv's and Dish's.

·
Legend
191 Posts
We know that the new birds will add a lot of capacity and more content is always better, but at what cost. If the Voom channels create a higher price for HD programming, then I don't want them. I think that after having spent $10 (and more) per month for the existing HD choices, I would hope that new channels are added for no additional cost, for at least the forseeable future.

If Voom is going to add to the cost of HD, please make it a premium, like HBO. There is really very little that I would watch. I am not one that will watch something jsut because it's HD, I want content that is entertaining. I have a hunch that, if this happens, we are going to see the HD package go up to $15 or so.

We'll just have to wait and see.

·
Godfather/Supporter
854 Posts
I would hope they don't go and increase the HD package costs, especially for existing subs. We've been paying for it for pitifully little content, and they just feed in to the cable monsters adverts that we have to pay for HD...

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,482 Posts
Bullwinkle501 said:
I know at one point in January of 2005 Echostar bought all of Voom from Cablevision, and doesn't Echostar still have a substantial position in Voom? Did I miss something?
No, no and apparently. Echostar bought Rainbow 1, the Voom satellite at 61.5 and renamed it Echostar 12.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.