DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum here... looked around and love the place. Couldn't find an answer to my query though, so here goes:

I'm a 10 year DirecTV subscriber. Not thrilled with the new DirecTV DVR, would much rather have a DirecTivo that works with the new MPEG-4, but it seems that's not going to happen. So if I upgrade to HDTV, which is imminent, I have to decide to stick with DirecTV or switch to Cable to use a real Tivo.

Currently, I have an elliptical dish with dual LNBs and 4 cables coming down to the basement. In the basement, I've got a powered 5x8 multiswitch that feeds to the house. Two DirecTivo's, and a handful of standard DirecTV receivers.

To utilize the HDTV, I understand I need to upgrade to a third LNB on my existing dish, or replace the dish, is that correct? Are there any good recommendations here? I'm in the New York metro area, so my locals would be served by the standard 3 LNB dish. What would be a reason for switching to this new 5 LNB i've seen talked about?

Also, are there any other infrastructure changes needed? Will my existing 5x8 multiswitch support the HDTV, or does that need to be replaced as well? Do all of these dishes just use 4 cables coming down, or are there more cables involved?

Thanks for any input and answers! Now if I can just figure out which TV(s) to buy to go HDTV, i'll be okie dokie!

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
You will replace your "current" dish with one that is technically "5 LNB"...

Your "locals" will only be served on the 3LNB system until they turn off the MPEG-2 versions... Plus you will need the 5LNB to see any of the future HD offerings.

You will need an updated mutliswitch.

4 cables is all that it users.

And for the most part... all of the above, is usually included in the upgrade package when going to an HR20

· Hall Of Fame
5,581 Posts
If D* does offer the 40 new HD channels in 2007 you will need a MPEG4 receiver and the AT9/AU9 5 Lnb dish to receive them. If you bite the bullet and order the HR20 you should get a free upgrade of your dish and switch from D*. I just wish they had a good DVR to go with the upgrade.

· Registered
2,060 Posts
If you're a sports fan, the 5-lnb dish and MPEG4 gives you access to HD games on YES and SNY in the NY metro area.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.