DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any experiance putting a DVR outside in an outdoor kitchen setup? I am currently building an outdoor kitchen which will have an AV cabinet where I plan on putting a TV. I am concerned that with the DVR's being leased units, they won't let me put it outside.

· RIP
6,203 Posts
mry110 said:
Has anyone had any experiance putting a DVR outside in an outdoor kitchen setup? I am currently building an outdoor kitchen which will have an AV cabinet where I plan on putting a TV. I am concerned that with the DVR's being leased units, they won't let me put it outside.
Heat, rain and humidity are not the friend for electronic components. Make sure you keep it dry and cool (not too cold though).
I don't recall anything in their agreement about not using the device outside...as long as you're not abusing/misusing the equipment.

· Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
All you really have to worry about is extreme temperatures (being in Dallas, probably more on the high side than low). Other than that, as long as it’s protected from dust, rain, sunlight, etc., the you should be fine. I would think that if the cabinet is good enough to protect the TV, it would be fine for the DVR, too.

· Icon
682 Posts
I had an H20-600 outside on my screen in patio over a year, no issues. Have two H21's out there now. I always wondered the same, but keep everything dust free, and the humidity has not seemed to have an impact. It is completely safe from rain, etc.

· Hall Of Fame
1,183 Posts
Humidity won't be a problem... the heat generated inside is going to always keep it well above the dew point. The relative humidity within its case is always going to be quite a bit lower than the surroundings. As long as it doesn't actually get rained on, it shouldn't be an issue. The only concerns would be temperature extremes. Personally, I would put it in an enclosed cabinet with a high capacity thermostatically controlled fan. In the winter, the heat generated by the unit should keep things warm enough with the fan off (it's best to keep the hard drive operating above 40°F), and you need a good amount of airflow to keep it cool in the summer. The air you use to cool it could be in excess of 100°, so that doesn't leave a lot of margin for the components on the inside to stay within their operating range. Hard drives that operate over wide ranges of temperature are going to have a higher likelihood of errors, all other things being equal.

· Icon
818 Posts
rudeney said:
All you really have to worry about is extreme temperatures (being in Dallas, probably more on the high side than low). Other than that, as long as it's protected from dust, rain, sunlight, etc., the you should be fine. I would think that if the cabinet is good enough to protect the TV, it would be fine for the DVR, too.
I'm gonna disagree with this a bit. A TV doesn't contain a hard drive.

I think temperature control is going to be your biggest issue. Both high and low, but mostly high.

· Hall Of Fame
1,663 Posts
Here in the NE I set up a stereo, tv, sat receiver every summer on my deck and have not had a problem in 7 years doing it. I have a awaning but I still drape a gas grill cover over everythin when it is not in use and I aslos use a [lastic table cloth if rain is in the forecast

· Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
msmith said:
I'm gonna disagree with this a bit. A TV doesn't contain a hard drive.
I think temperature control is going to be your biggest issue. Both high and low, but mostly high.
boba said:
I gaurantee dust and a hard drive are going to be problems. Put it inside and run cables to the kitchen.
For temperature extremes, I agree there would be some extra consideration for the hard drive, but dust should not be an issue since hard drives are sealed. Otherwise, I'd have failing hard drives left and right as my desktop (or rather floor-standing) PC's are full of dust.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.